New Discussion Thread

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Not that I'm anxious, or anything, but shouldn't judge-like-folks be approving E13's addy so Incarnation can leave the tavern? :)

Dunamin

First Post
When Ere totalled it up a while ago we had a bucket load of humans. Five to be exact.
There was one race with 3 and every other race had 1.

So we have plenty of humans methinks. :)
I don't think it's a good idea to structure NPC racial distribution according to statistics on PC adventurers - the latter are quite explicitly deviations from the norm. Otherwise, many D&D campaigns would have drows bartending every inn and tavern (I doubt the current PC share of 15% githyankis represents the locales they currently reside in). ;)

How about a compromise? The high estate locales are guarded by teams of bouncers which feature humans, minotaurs, dwarves, etc, and since these teams change out according to their shifts, you get a more blending racial representation.

In fact, I would imagine that teams of bouncers is even more called for in the rougher places. So, the Gilded Arrow bouncers might work in four-man teams, but the Drowned Man need six-man teams to keep the peace (probably typically minotaurs, bugbears, and hobgoblins).

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Just got the second approval in, sorry for the delay. Car died today need to buy a new one. I'll try to get in the opening post tomorrow.

Graf

Explorer
*Shuffles feet* Well Graf suggested it, *points accusingly* I was just trying to throw Brudd's fiance into the mix! I will admit that you do have a good point we could use a few more human NPCs. Though in the specific role being discussed a Minotaur does fit well flavor wise, I believe it makes sense for Minotaurs bodyguards to be regarded as symbols of prestiege amongst the Merchants of Bacarte and Dauntonian nobility.
I did suggest it. It seems reasonable to me that Faun could try to set up one of his family members as a bouncer.

If we put "tough x" into a room with a bunch of tough guy adventurers somebody's going to start a fight (no?). If we say "that's faun's cousin; if you ever want to be served another beer in this bar you won't give him trouble...."

It seems like an elegant solution; he doesn't need to be a 20th level archangel, or squads of bouncers (who are what? 1st~2nd level soldiers?) or anything else.

In fact, I would imagine that teams of bouncers is even more called for in the rougher places. So, the Gilded Arrow bouncers might work in four-man teams, but the Drowned Man need six-man teams to keep the peace (probably typically minotaurs, bugbears, and hobgoblins).
Personally I like the idea that there's no security in Bacarte; if you fight you never get to set foot there again.
If someone starts a fight and you don't step in to help. You're "gored" and gonna have trouble getting work. If you enthusiastically pummel the offender, Faun may have a positive word to say about you to potential employers.

The idea of all these monsters obeying their Ps and Qs appeals to me. (And maybe desperately hoping that somebody misbehaves so they can work out any alcohol fueled aggressions they might have...)

[d]--[/d]

I don't think it's a good idea to structure NPC racial distribution according to statistics on PC adventurers - the latter are quite explicitly deviations from the norm. Otherwise, many D&D campaigns would have drows bartending every inn and tavern (I doubt the current PC share of 15% githyankis represents the locales they currently reside in). ;)
From the "false consensus" point in the character creation guide
The prominence of weird races said:
  • Beware of false consensus effects! Just because three of the 15 PCs at launch are githyanki doesn't mean that daunton is 20% githyanki. It means that in cosmopolitan Daunton (one of the largest and most tolerate cities in the Shifting Seas) there are three githyanki floating around.
  • This extends to other parts of the setting as well, it's not particularly unusual that strange and unusual characters congregate in one bar... it's a bar that caters to unsual clientelle (who are also adventurers seeking work). There are probably dozens of bars in Duanton that cater to bankers, bakers, beauracrats and so forth; we just don't feature them in a thread because this is a game of action and adventure....
So I agree with you :)

Erekose13

Explorer
Who from my perspective group is in the inn now?

I've got an adventure approved thats for Incarnation, Amicus, Rurdev, Riardon, + upto one more. I don't think they are all in there yet. If not, move it! Opening post coming tonight (I hope).

KenHood

First Post
Well...

As long as we're considering the minotaur bouncer...

Why don't we also add a dancing floor to the tavern?

Then, we start a competition where high-strung, beautiful, young ladies train the minotaurs in ballroom dance steps. Once a week, the couples go before a trio of judges, and the one with the lowest score is killed eliminated from the competition.

We could call it, "Dancing with the Steers".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases