New Discussion Thread

KenHood

First Post
(and now, what about drows and Shadar-kai in the empire of jade acting as the Iga and Koga clans? :D)

Only if the ones acting as the Koga have all of their major leaders riding in a single carriage and die in a sudden, unexpected collision, causing the loss of all their secret knowledge...

Which is what happened to the Koga in real life (but it was a car wreck).

:)

Graf

Explorer
Re social structure: I disagree about the ridged social structure thing. I just don't think that that is the "only" way you can have a ridged social structure. Again, my goal isn't to make Japan. It's to allow Japanese-style DnD characters.

The taint mechanism; the fact that the dragonborn were resistant to the taint, effectively explains why it developed.

Due to their emphasis on honor, and service they were somewhat resistant to the taint (which ultimately requires you to give into emotions like greed); and that when they effectively took over imported and elevated that whole ethos (service to the society as represented by the leader who deleigates authority in a strict line of command, discipline to put aside your personal desires and do what was required) to a state religion.

You get the same strict social code, the same spying on your neighbors, but you get it differently.

[sblock=Japan and DnD]Most DnD players don't have much of a historical understanding of Japan. They have images and want to play those images.

They think "kick-ass, rogue, katana-wielding bad-asses, who bow to no one and blow through towns in a storm of blood and ass-kicking". They want to emote in a certain fashion, while kicking ass.
Actual Japanese-style social structures and expectations flumox and annoy them.

They usually have completely impossible backstories (a poor orphan who winds up becoming a samurai and then a ronin).

I think, btw, that this is great stuff. You go out, you grapple with something that you're not familiar with you try to understand it; it's DnD, not The Blossoms are Falling....

I'm reaally leery of trying to put some sort of "realistic" social structure that imitates Japan into a setting. It's just not viable unless you do it from the ground up (and even then people don't usually like it in play).
[/sblock]

[d]--[/d]
Another way I suppose to look at it:

1. There is actual, nigh-unknowable truth of what Japan was like during the various periods.
2. There is historical analysis which probably gets you fairly close to what life was like again for those periods.
3. There is the common domestic (i.e. Japanese) view, which is fairly extremely romanticized. (the ji-dai-geki type stuff you see on TV) It's period mulched and effectively includes a lot of modern biases.
4. There is the western interpretation, which is rooted mostly in Japanese pop stuff (#3).

There are a few 2.5 type considerations, where it's a lot darker in tone (some Kurosawa, the Beat Takeshi version of Zatôichi) and potentially more realistic (in terms of not glorifying the caste system, or the situation of the pesantry).
(And correspondingly Westerners who are more clued into 2.5 and thus would be a 4.5 maybe)

But at the end of the day the question really, isn't "what's most realistic". It's...

People want to play "samurai/bushido style characters, like they've seen in the movies". They want something that's close to 3 and 4 -- a romantic view. So you have to build for that. Saying "that doesn't make sense" isn't really supportive of those people.

The idea that the existing power structure of the Jade Kingdom brainwashes people into beleiving that "dying a pure death, taint free is glorious; the ultimate aspiration of every man woman and child" sort of fits in with everything else for me.

And I think it potentially enables those sorts of characters people want to play.

[d]--[/d]

I see it as the same sort of situation as a spider/demon/S&M goddess for the drow. Is it necessarily what I'd create if I had my druthers?

I'm not sure that it is.

But... people want to play characters with a relationship to that sort of goddess. So we can tweak to add elements that enrich it, but we have to support it. IMHO natch.

Halford

First Post
Okay I have nearly completed my next adventure proposal, for a different adventure path that is. I thought I would check for interest before finessing the details...

This adventure, still playing around with names, will involve the PCs entering a cult and trying to esconse themselves in said organizations hierarchy.

Instead of an adventuring party the group would be operating as a cell. This would be based upon my limited understanding of terrorist networks - and of course I would never even remotely condone terrorism, etc., they are merely trying to infiltrate the evil cults ranks.

In other words the group will have the opportunity to act like an evil party most of the time without the guilt...;) They will likely need to have at least on, preferably several skilled bluffers.

The group would be sponsored by a patron, for which I am currently considering Daunton's Spymaster - who I would create for the adventure, or Margan Kraith. However, I have a few other ideas I'm playing with.

Its likely lawful characters would be inappropriate. Depending upon the interest generated I may wait for mid december to see if we get extra characters, etc. My preference is for players not in adventures yet though as I'd like as many as possible to get involved.

Halford

First Post
I think the general answer to that is no Kenhood, which is a crying shame in this case, because Palindrome would fit quite nicely. It would stretch credulity in most cases without switching time frame which would be complicated, and it would enable faster advancement for those undertaking multiple quests, etc.

You can move out of an adventure, or move onto another one once the adventure is completed. Though I don' think theres any chance you would wish to, and I certainly would not advocate you moving out of "The Closed Eye", which I am still having a lot of fun reading btw!

Dunamin

First Post
I think the general answer to that is no Kenhood, which is a crying shame in this case, because Palindrome would fit quite nicely. It would stretch credulity in most cases without switching time frame which would be complicated, and it would enable faster advancement for those undertaking multiple quests, etc.
And then there's the issue if the character in question dies in one of the adventures... Especially one happening in an earlier time frame than the other adventure. Instant poof followed by hardcore time-line readjustment! ;)

KenHood

First Post
Dang-nabbit!

Okay...

What if Palindrome is actually a lower dimensional representation of a higher dimensional being, and the reason that he looks so common is that he IS so common, because he can exist in multiple places at once? Huh? Huh?

Aw...

Shoot! It would be fun playing Palindrome 'pretending' to be evil, but I reckon that'll have to wait until after he robs the grandmother and frames her grandson for the theft.

What?

garyh

First Post
Dang-nabbit!

Okay...

What if Palindrome is actually a lower dimensional representation of a higher dimensional being, and the reason that he looks so common is that he IS so common, because he can exist in multiple places at once? Huh? Huh?

Aw...

Shoot! It would be fun playing Palindrome 'pretending' to be evil, but I reckon that'll have to wait until after he robs the grandmother and frames her grandson for the theft.

What?

Is it just me or does Palindrome remind anyone else of what would happen if you combined Black Mage and Thief of 8-Bit Theatre?

EDIT: I mean that in a good way. ;)

KenHood

First Post
Is it just me or does Palindrome remind anyone else of what would happen if you combined Black Mage and Thief of 8-Bit Theatre?

EDIT: I mean that in a good way. ;)

Thanks!

And thanks for the mention of 8-Bit Theatre. I looked it up, because I've never heard of it before. I *love* Black Mage.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases