New Discussion Thread

covaithe

Explorer
Most of my wiki programming knowledge comes from trial and error. It helps that ENWorld uses the same wiki software as Wikipedia, because the documentation installed here is... poor. Wikipedia's documentation is much better.

The basic methodology for wiki programming is the same as for other web page development: plagiarism! Find a page you like the looks of, copy its source code, and muck around with your copy until it looks how you want it. Use the preview button a lot.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
@Don: no worries, we'll just have some fun RPing until you're fully available. :)

Most of my wiki programming knowledge comes from trial and error.
Ah - just like other programming then! ;) I'm sure there's something that will suit, just have to find it.
The basic methodology for wiki programming is the same as for other web page development: plagiarism! Find a page you like the looks of, copy its source code, and muck around with your copy until it looks how you want it. Use the preview button a lot.
Yup, that is a great way to do it. No sense re-inventing the wheel. ;)

Dunamin

First Post
Standard formats for gods, NPCs, and locations all sound like great ideas to me.

I do like the use of sblocks so you can focus on the information you're looking for, and they're not links so there's no delay in opening them up. Either way is fine with me, though.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Every time I try to put a URL in an sblock, the formatting gets screwed up. For example:

[sblock="test"]
This is a test url. It should screw up.
[/sblock]

Hey, that's great. Worked fine. Usually that renders as something like.

[sblock="test"]
This is a[/sblock][sblock="test"]test url. It should screw up.
[/sblock]

(I did that second one by hand, obviously.)

Oh, I forgot to add my question: what's up with that? Anyone know how I can fix it?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Every time I try to put a URL in an sblock, the formatting gets screwed up. For example:

[sblock="test"]
This is a test url. It should screw up.
[/sblock]

Hey, that's great. Worked fine. Usually that renders as something like.

[sblock="test"]
This is a[/sblock][sblock="test"]test url. It should screw up.
[/sblock]

(I did that second one by hand, obviously.)

Oh, I forgot to add my question: what's up with that? Anyone know how I can fix it?
Hmm ... that's an interesting problem. How exactly are you creating the links and sblocks? IE manually typing tags or using the formatting buttons?

My suggested solution would be to hit the button in the top right corner of the editor pane. It looks something like "A/A". When you click that, it will show you all of the tags for the formatting you've done, instead of showing the formatted text. Make sure there's no extra tags, edit them as necessary, and you should be good to go.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I noticed that L4W minotaurs are still using oversized weapon.

That's something minotaur no longer have as of their full official PC write up in Dragon Magazine...

That's kind of the reverse problem we typically have about approving stuff, huh?

Atanatotatos

First Post
I think we hadn't reached a decision about that. Personally, I changed my mind o the matter. I think Dragon minotaurs should be used and while it's not game-breaking oversized is better left as an epic destiny feature (eternal defender).

covaithe

Explorer
Yeah, we know it's been changed, but no one has made a proposal that we adopt the change. Personally, I'm not bothered either way.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, I propose it!

A level 1 PC doing 2d8 damage at-will without even spending a feat for a superior weapon is just a bit much... Especially from the POV of a spell caster stuck with 1d6 or 1d8.

Beside, the increase in size yields wacky, counter intuitive results. A battleaxe goes from 1d10 to 1d12; +1 damage on average. A good deal. But A waraxe improves on the battle axe by 1d12 to 2d6; +0.5 (and you lose variability). A damn poor deal for a superior weapon, few would take it. But a bastard sword goes 1d10 to 1d12 while keeping a +1 to hit over the waraxe and so, behold, you'll see more minotaurs with bastard swords than with Waraxe, a much more minotaurish weapon! And a maul goes 2d6 to 2d8 ; +2 to damage. That's a great deal! Again, you are as a result much more likely to see a minotaur barbarian with a maul then a Great axe as a result.

It's just a complete mess.

The Dragon issue 364 gets rid of that while fleshing out the minotaur as a full PC race with an array of cool feat.

Remove ads