New Discussion Thread

elecgraystone

First Post
If its one OOC thread, than that's same problem, different thread. Two threads (in IC, one OCC) could work.
How would 1 thread be a problem if it's just game OCC and this one is a general occ? I thought the problem was new people coming in trying to catch up and understanding living 4th in general. They wouldn't need to hop on the game OCC until they joined a game. I don't see how a game OCC getting big would matter when what is currently going on in the games is going to be on the last page.

Graf

Explorer
Halford said:
True I did hope the Isle was larger and I was happy with the idea that if undefined its size could be nebulous as a part of the transitive Isles, maybe their are swathes of Isle that are occasionally part of the Feywild, etc.?
If this would satisfy you... it's already in the setting.
wiki said:
Two of the near lands, in particular, have a strong relationship with Daunton due to fey zones that linked them to Daunton's interior forests: The Isle of the Fey Court and the Savage Lands.
From the main setting page.

wiki said:
A massive hinterland filled with warring savage humanoids some people say it is a thousand miles from end to end, others merely hundreds. Until the intervention of a great hero it was linked to Daunton by the same zones that connected to the Isle of the Fey Court aggressive bands of goblinoids used to travel through the feywild and launch savage raids on Daunton. A Years of Steel Rain is a popular play enjoying a resurgence about a particularly terrible decade when the zones were open almost constantly and Daunton was trapped in a state of siege. Argo the Black cut off the zones some years ago.
Travelers still shudder to see the massive coastline of the Savage Lands suddenly appearing out of the fog as they sail to and from Daunton; so much so that sailors have a term for it ("being savaged") reflecting both the damage their ships take trying to navigate it's vicious weather and rocky shoals as well the damage the crew endures when the tribal longboats streak out from shore to assail them.
As signs that the zones to the feywild on Dauton have begun to re-appear become more manifest Dauntonians have begun to lend more credence to the tales that Arga's ritual was only temporary and required replenishment, and that her student Esthanapiros was secretly maintaining it all those years.
From the Near Lands

Halford said:
Anyway as to the size of Daunton, first off Graf I think you do need to calm down a little about these things, the only time I ever recall reading about Daunton's size was in a two post dialogue between you and The Goblin King.
It's also on the wiki, under Daunton.
wiki said:
The island itself is a bit more than thirty miles long on the N/S axis, featuring a deeply forested interior and shear cliffs around all sides. The cliffs recede to sea level only at one point, the large double bay around which the city of Daunton is built.
It's not in bold, but I'm not sure how I feel about the statement that it's buried on "some old thread with goblin king".

You knew about it. Because you've repeatedly posted about it here (in favor of a big central mainland) and here (when you proposed TI be re-sized) and in each case I've responded to you.

It's was also specifically brought up and discussed and resolved (in the sense that everyone participating on the thread seemed satisfied) on the Transitive Isles Proposal Thread. (Easiest place to start is here when Gary says he thinks it should be 1000 miles)

In fact, that thread addressed your primary complaint. Or at least the specific thing you've asked for.
Halford said:
We have valleys between mountains, vast swathes of untamed forest, a few isolated villages here and there, some monstrous tribes.... I just want enough room for several monstrous tribes without stretching credulity.

Gary and cov and I spent a a lot of effort dealing with this and resolved it as explained (in exaustive detail) here.
(We ultimately did a lot of it over email but that "exhaustive detail" link covers the issues, the content of the changes and the final result).

We created a whole new zone, we sprinkled little tidbits throughout the wiki...

Could the wiki be better... absolutely... (it sucks, every time I look at it I feel pain) but it's not like this hasn't been talked about and addressed at length.

[d]--[/d]

Halford said:
My understanding of the setting was that it was supposed to be modular so that DMs were not restricted.

Since I always argued against the desire to have a central zone... I'm not sure how you got the impression it would support the creation of one.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that modular meant "every DM can contribute without limit in the manner that they wish". It's more about giving everyone, collectively the ability to contribute equally without one person, who happens to be first, or the most aggressive or possess some other arbitrary attribute, getting to "take up the best real estate" (so to speak).

I've tried to articulate it under modularity on the wiki.

[d]--[/d]

Halford said:
I'm not trying to "define the setting", I just want enough room for <x y z> without stretching credulity. Since I have a group of Eladrin just moved in and I believe there have been at least two suggestions of other entities within the main Isle.
You say bug, I say feature.

You want to have a temporary camp of Eladrin. Great!

You want to have something big and permanent that changes the setting.... it's sudden appearance is supposed to stretch credulity. At the very center of the setting, the spot that everyone shares, it's hard for one person to make big changes.

It helps judges by making it very clear what will and won't fit. You may not like inland empires, but what if I want one? Why can you have thousands of miles of warring tribes and villages but I can't have an empire?
Why's my idea "less good" than yours?

If there is a simple, easy to understand reason why you can't park something setting-changing on top of Daunton (i.e. it wouldn't fit) it's a lot easier than a judge having to say: 7 villages is fine... but 15 (or 25) is too many.

[d]--[/d]
Halford said:
I appreciate all you have done for the project Graf, but I don't think a simply question - albeit accompanied by a suggestion - deserved such a response. You catch more flies with honey. True you also kill more with an electric bug zapper, but that's, probably, besides the point.
I'm really not sure how to respond.

We've been going back and forth and back and forth for literally months on this. It was, probably, the most contentious issue of the debate. I'm sorry if you're surprised, but I don't think that my response is some kind of aberrance.

I do apologize for my tone. Which is often unproductive. I can't really justify it. It's a bad habit. If it's any consolation you are not alone in disliking it. I don't think it's appropriate (once I've cooled down) and I can assure you that the other judges have pointedly brought it up as well. It's one of my many failings. I do try to self monitor, but, especially when I feel that we've discussed and worked on an issue at tremendous effort I tend to react poorly when I feel someone esays "I don't like the end result, lets do the whole thing over again".

You've made tremendous contributions to the setting too. You made Daunton, the mayor, old vic, Allaria, the Hobgoblin Empire and lots of other stuff I've probably forgotten.

And you're running a great game and you've been a big contributor as a judge.

I'm glad to be gaming with you and having a great time.

But I want us (the community, which includes both you and me) to come to some sort of understanding this time. I'm tired of having it come up again every two or three weeks.

I've talked a lot. Why don't you suggest how you think we should proceed?

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
Perhaps a map scale? New people who havn't read every thread would be able to tell immediately how big the islands are.
This would, of course, make things clearer.

The map is supposed to be a "pirate map" of Daunton. I.e. something inspirational and fun; not binding.

As recently mentioned I was not part of the "we must have a map" camp. But now that we've got one I have to admit I think it adds a lot to the setting.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
This hasn't come up yet, but I've taken a stab at tracking treasure and expenditures here:

L4W:pC:Hravoth Kortaga (garyh) - ENWiki

Hrav got a 50 GP advance for the monster pirate adventure and bought a potion. Figured that should be on the sheet.

Also added an "Adventures" section to the tracking area, so there's a log of adventures Hrav's been on.

L4W:pC:Hravoth Kortaga (garyh) - ENWiki
I'd been thinking about a thread that tracked the same thing. Having people do it on their sheets would probably be a lot easier.

I was thinking that this format might be clearer. (It's easy to see what you got in each adventure)

(sorry for monkeying around with your sheet... You'd be right to be a bit :erm: )
To reverse it go to here, scroll down and hit save.
It'll nuke my change and put your sheet back to the way it was before I touched it.

Halford

First Post
Thanks Graf that answers a lot of my questions and concerns. I think the easiest solution for me rather than the Isle is to assume that thirty is a rough number and that the terrain is rough. I might also assume that the area the Eladrin are in has been temporarily attatched to Daunton from the Feywild.

For my part sorry for being a lazy peruser!

Graf

Explorer
This may have gotten a bit lost in the shuffle.
I'm submitting an elf cleric from Kythira, and noticed that there was no regional benefit for the isle. I don't mind forgoing the benefit, but I was just wondering if there was a reason for the absence. Looking further, I see that the other Proximate Isles are all represented, with the exception of the Isle of Opposition (which is basically spoken for with the benefits of the Vale of Bones and the Empire of Jade).

I *think* the Fey Court resides on Kythira, but I might be mixed up. But the island itself might merit a separate benefit.
As currently written the Fey Court resides on the Isle of the Fey Court.

Kythira ultimately iterated to be more primordial (but it looks like a chunk of the wiki never got updated...which would be pretty confusing :-S ); my current understanding was that it's mostly mangroves and dense jungle populated with sparse tribes of gnomes and shifters with ruins of a lost civilization around the shadowrift in the interior.

Probably best to discuss this topic in more detail in that other thread, though, if you want to propose something.
That thread is here btw.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases