Introducing the Codex Martialis

Galloglaich

First Post
The Codex Martialis is a sourcebook of new combat options for D20, based on medieval and renaissance era martial-arts manuals. This is not another complex damage system or a spreadsheet of tables and formulae, but a fast-paced, cinematic variation of combat, based on the historical martial arts of Europe and Asia. It emphasizes action, combat maneuvers and the deadly interplay of attack and defense with a minimum of complexity or hassle. The Codex is designed to make combat fluid, dynamic and intuitive, in order to bring a greater level of immersion, excitement, and tactical options to your gaming session.

The dynamic approach to combat in the Codex introduces a range of optional innovations from a new way to roll attack and defense dice to special Martial Feats that open up unique historically based combat techniques to your character. New optional weapon stats make the choice of fighting kit relevant to the individual fighting style and personal strategy of each character rather than a mere cosmetic adornment. Do you pick a staff for its defensive qualities and reach, a dagger for its close range lethality, or a longsword for its versatility in attack and defense?

The choice is yours, the possibilities are actually endless. With this system, your fighter character needn’t be just another 'tank' like any other, nor does every Wizards need to cower in the background once their spells run out.

Special new Martial Feats allow you to integrate the unique qualities of each weapon into a personal fighting style which is based on actual martial techniques which balance against each other the way they did in real life. The Martial Feats open up skills which allow higher level characters more advanced combat options without artificially limiting those of lower level players to use any strategy or innovation common sense would allow.

By tapping into the real-life fighting strategies written down by the ancients when people still lived by the sword, the Codex allows you to bring new life (and death) to the combat in your game, based around situational tactics and an interplay of maneuvers rather than overly complex damage models or requiring magic to make a fight interesting.

Written by martial arts practitioners with real-life fighting experience and based on five hundred year old combat manuals penned by the true Masters of the ancient martial arts such as Sigmund Ringeck, Joachim Meyer, Jud Lew, Miyamoto Musashi, Fiore Dei Liberi, and Achille Marozzo, the Codex Martialis is a window from your game into the lethal reality of combat in the ancient world.

58045.jpg

Our hope is to present the player and DM with a range of new tactics which can bring a much more dynamic feel to combat, by adding numerous options without adding a great deal of complexity. We invite you to try the system out, and let us know what you think of it.

EN World PDF Store - Ire Games - Codex Martialis V1.0

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
We had some issues with the license, we thought we were going to release this under the D20 license initially, I've been out of the loop for so long I didn't know D20 had been rescinded. It's being switched to OGL now, and we are looking in to making it Pathfinder compatible.

Next revision today or tomorrow should have the OGL logo in it.

Thanks for the comment.

G.

lmpjr007

Explorer
We had some issues with the license, we thought we were going to release this under the D20 license initially, I've been out of the loop for so long I didn't know D20 had been rescinded. It's being switched to OGL now, and we are looking in to making it Pathfinder compatible.

Next revision today or tomorrow should have the OGL logo in it.

Thanks for the comment.

G.

I know how it is to start a new PDF company. Every little bit helps. Feel free to contact directly if you need any help.

Galloglaich

First Post
Thanks I may take you up on that.

I've done some stuff before in the industry but I worked through publishers in the UK and here in the US. Never done it on my own before. I'm not certain it was a good idea at this point :) But I'm definitely not doing this to make any money. This thing is sort of a labor of love, I'm very interested to see how it is received, if anyone can take this idea and run with it. Or take it in another interesting direction.

G.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases