Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System (NEW VERSION: 1.2!!!) - Page 3

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Stalker0
    Quote Originally Posted by Harr View Post
    The file download in the OP is corrupt, or at least my acrobat reports it as such, have tried to download it 3 times and nothing
    I just tried it again myself and I'm not seeing any problems. What version of Acrobat are you using?
    Is your game having issues with Grind? Check out Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind

Do you want a skill challenge system that is less mechanical and encourages more roleplaying? Try my Obsidian Skill Challenge System

Like the core 4e system, but prefer a more balanced system with additional options? Try my Alternate Core Skill Challenge System

New version looks good.

Only used Obsidian for one skill challenge, but it was a big success.

You can read exactly how it went here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker0 View Post
    I just tried it again myself and I'm not seeing any problems. What version of Acrobat are you using?
    When I wrote that post I was using Adobe Reader 7.5, since then I have updated to the latest on the Adobe website which is Adobe Reader 9.0.0, and I still get the exact same error.

The error is "Adobe could not open (filename) because it is either not a supported file type or because it has been damaged (for example, if it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Strange, since looking around at the thread it seems everybody can read it but me

EDIT -> Ok, never mind, I took the reader through the whole "online updater" thing and now it works. Yay. Good thing too because I did not want to go without this particular bit of house ruling Thanks!
    Last edited by Harr; Tuesday, 18th November, 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Quick question, didn't see it addressed in the FAQ: If I want to do away with the whole "Primary" skill thing... that is, I want the players to be rolling all their skills as they are, without any +2 encouragement to choose a particular one... should I change the DCs at all? Maybe substract 1 from the DC, or substract 2? Or just leave it alone?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Fieari
    I -love- the changes. The combat challenge is perfect. The armor penalty thing is perfect.
    You can roleplay in any system, and hack-and-slash in any system.

Quick question, didn't see it addressed in the FAQ: If I want to do away with the whole "Primary" skill thing... that is, I want the players to be rolling all their skills as they are, without any +2 encouragement to choose a particular one... should I change the DCs at all? Maybe substract 1 from the DC, or substract 2? Or just leave it alone?
    The system is pliable enough to swallow up a few +2 or -2 modifiers being thrown around above or below the curve. Simply be generous with a +2 for appropriate, heroic, or well-described actions, and don't sweat the details or overworry.

I have a minor issue with the naming of some things - the math behind everything is great, but I don't see what's "Bold" about spending an action point to get a re-do on something you failed at. I'd call it Heroic Recovery or Impossible Comeback, or maybe something more actiony, like Bounce Back, Action Rebound or "Rally!".

"Unburdened" could maybe use a name that more descriptively evokes the image of a character exerting himself to power through his movements so that the platemail he's lugging around is no more restrictive than spandex. Or, maybe, an italicized description of such actions could be put after each Player Option, much like powers' flavor texts.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Stalker0
    If you don't like primary skills at all, you may consider downgrading the DC by 1, I wouldn't go with 2 though.

Do you want a skill challenge system that is less mechanical and encourages more roleplaying? Try my Obsidian Skill Challenge System

Like the core 4e system, but prefer a more balanced system with additional options? Try my Alternate Core Skill Challenge System

Magsman (Lvl 14)

° Ignore Stalker0
    Quote Originally Posted by dammitbiscuit View Post
    I have a minor issue with the naming of some things - the math behind everything is great, but I don't see what's "Bold" about spending an action point to get a re-do on something you failed at. I'd call it Heroic Recovery or Impossible Comeback, or maybe something more actiony, like Bounce Back, Action Rebound or "Rally!".

"Unburdened" could maybe use a name that more descriptively evokes the image of a character exerting himself to power through his movements so that the platemail he's lugging around is no more restrictive than spandex. Or, maybe, an italicized description of such actions could be put after each Player Option, much like powers' flavor texts.
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker0 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    I have a very beer-and-pretzels group right now. I came up with new names but they can't be taken very seriously and half of them include swear words.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast