The Captain's Caper! (Dunamin judging)

Phoenix8008

First Post
-K3 attempts an OA when Quagmire goes by, but misses. K2 decides to not take his attention off Alexander.

-Quagmire makes it through the gauntlet unscathed, but misses on his own attack.

-Hrav can go...
[SBLOCK=Combat Info]Initiatives and Status
20 - D1 (HPs -15, -1, -13-16= -51); Blinded till end of Hrav's next turn - dead
20 - D2 (HPs -9,-15-13-16= -53)- dead
17 - Alexander (HPs +8,-5,-4,-6,+3=29/35)
16 - Quagmire (HPs +8=34)
16 - Hrav (HPs -13,+11=24/26)
15 - K2 (HPs -6,+5,-5= -6)
15 - K3 (HPs +5,-4= +1)
14 - K1
10 - Girth (HPs +8=38/30)
08 - K4: dead
08 - K5: dead
08 - K6: dead
08 - K7
08 - Brudd (HPs +8,-9-13+14=28/28)

K3 OA at Quagmire (1d20 7 1=13, 1d6 3=9)[/sblock]

Attachments

• CC E5 Bounty Hunters6.JPG
    CC E5 Bounty Hunters6.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Hrav darts around behind the kobold leader, sizes him up, then takes advantage of the distraction from Quagmire to ram his rapier through the kobold leader's back, right between the shoulderblades.

"Gotcha!" Hrav shouts.

[sblock=Mechanics]Move action - Move to K10

Minor action - Apply Predatory Eye to K1

Standard action - Torturous Strike versus K1 with rapier, Combat Advantage for Sneak Attack and Predatory Eye granted due to flanking with Quag.

1d20+7+2;2d10+8+2d6+4+1d6 → [20,7,2] = (29)
1d20+7+2;2d10+8+2d6+4+1d6 → [6,4,8,4,6,4,6] = (38)

Critical hit! Max damage is 50 damage (20+8+12+4+6).[/sblock]

[sblock=Hrav's Info]Hrav Kortaga- Male Bugbear Rogue 1
Passive Perception: +17, Passive Insight: +16
AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:16, Will:11 -- Speed:6
HP:24/26, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:7/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers-
Deft Strike
Piercing Strike

Torturous Strike
Predatory Eye

Blinding Barrage

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[sblock=Damn!]50, egads! Roll on 11th level baby when Brudd can give a party member an auto crit once per encounter - I am going to go Divine Oracle with Brudd. I don't plan too far ahead, no, no... :angel:[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=Halford]Divine oracle... pure win!
Though... i believe sneak attack dmg shouldn't be maximized in a crit...or should it?

Oh well... it's a one-hit kill anyway...[/sblock]

Halford

First Post
[sblock=SA on Crits]I thought the same thing Atanatotatos, but after bringing up in my Ebon Mirror game - being very skeptical myself - elecgraystone convinced me that it was indeed maximized.

What finally convinced me was a straight up answer from a WOTC source in ask wizards which said yes sneak attack, quarry, and cures damage are maximized on a crit. I also found the fact that on page 276 of the PHB in the example of the Eladrin Paladin critting the encounter power of her thundering weapon is maximized - this being relevant in that it demonstrates the expansive nature of the extra damage maximized o a crit.

elec made a better case and sent an excellent set of links which proved his point so if anyone is interested I can forward them to you.[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
[sblock=SA on Crits]I thought the same thing Atanatotatos, but after bringing up in my Ebon Mirror game - being very skeptical myself - elecgraystone convinced me that it was indeed maximized.

What finally convinced me was a straight up answer from a WOTC source in ask wizards which said yes sneak attack, quarry, and cures damage are maximized on a crit. I also found the fact that on page 276 of the PHB in the example of the Eladrin Paladin critting the encounter power of her thundering weapon is maximized - this being relevant in that it demonstrates the expansive nature of the extra damage maximized o a crit.

elec made a better case and sent an excellent set of links which proved his point so if anyone is interested I can forward them to you.[/sblock]

nice![/sblock]

garyh

First Post
OOC: I rolled 6,4,6 on my SA and Predatory Eye d6's, so even if those weren't maximized and only the W part was, we'd still be talking 48 damage. :)

The Digger

First Post
Note for Halford

you said: " I found on page 276 of the PHB in the example of the Eladrin Paladin critting the encounter power of her thundering weapon is maximized"

This is not the case. The example says "If she scores a crit she deals max damage (etc etc.) and adds 2d6 thunder damage from her longsword NOTE not 12 damage from her longsword.

Furthermore if you are to max magic weapon crit damage why does every weapon say something like "Crit: 1d6 damage per plus" rather than 6 damage per plus?

Then we go to p278 of the PHB under Critical Hit damage.
EXTRA DAMAGE: magic weapons etc etc can increase the damage on a crit; If this extra damage is a roll it is not automatically max damage; you add the result of the die roll.

Sorry to be a pedantB-)

Phoenix8008

First Post
-Hrav slips behind the leader of the kobolds and totally skewers the bugger through the heart. It writhes on his blade and spits up blood before twitching itself to death as its arms go limp and drop away from the blade protruding from its chest.

-Seeing their leader fall, the two warriors grimly determine to do what harm they can before expiring themselves. As their blades fail to find their mark though, it seems apparent that what harm they can do shall be very limited indeed...

-Girth and Brudd can go...

-OOC: I am so gonna find some other dice rolling program to cut out this Invisible Castle favoritism of Brudd and his allies (and his player! :hmm: ) ;)
[SBLOCK=Combat Info]Initiatives and Status
20 - D1 (HPs -15, -1, -13-16= -51); Blinded till end of Hrav's next turn - dead
20 - D2 (HPs -9,-15-13-16= -53)- dead
17 - Alexander (HPs +8,-5,-4,-6,+3=29/35)
16 - Quagmire (HPs +8=34)
16 - Hrav (HPs -13,+11=24/26)
15 - K2 (HPs -6,+5,-5= -6)
15 - K3 (HPs +5,-4= +1)
14 - K1:- dead
10 - Girth (HPs +8=38/30)
08 - K4: dead
08 - K5: dead
08 - K6: dead
08 - K7
08 - Brudd (HPs +8,-9-13+14=28/28)

K2 and K3 attack Alexander (1d20+7+1=9, 1d6+3=6, 1d20+7+1=16, 1d6 3=8)[/sblock]
attachment.php

Attachments

• CC E5 Bounty Hunters7.JPG
    CC E5 Bounty Hunters7.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 167

Halford

First Post
Contemptuous of the Kobold behind him Brudd strides over to flank (K3) with Alex and brings his blade down drawing blood yet again and laughing gleefully as he yet again finds favor with Hadeys! :angel:

"Boss a little wrath if'n ye'd be so good, 'n' lend yer blessin' te me pal Alex!" Brudd bellows gleefully.

[sblock=Hit 20, 11 Damage, +4 for Alex to hit K3] If the kobold is able to do that withdrawy thing again, then Brudd will hit K7 with an 18 instead - in this case Brudd will then move up to K3 in square M6. This hinges upon my understanding of the rules - which is incomplete - I believe you can only take one immediate action per round and it says this in numerous google threads, etc., but my reading of the PHB is unclear as to whether this refers to immediate actions in general or OA's specifically.

1d20+9=20, 1d12+5=11 [/sblock]

[sblock=Digger] Sorry Digger, but you are wrong there, you are reading the wrong part. The encounter power is not the 2d6, which you are correct is not maximized, but rather the 10 in the last sentence of that paragraph which is maximized. So...

"If she scores a crit she deals max damage (etc etc.) and adds 2d6 thunder damage from her thundering longsword. If she wanted to use her thundering longsword's encounter power on this hit, she would add 10 thunder damage and push 1."

Sadly this seems there seems to be a mistake here as the thundering longswords only available power is a daily and deals a d8 not a d10, so it should be 8 not 10, but the point still stands.

The difference is that extra damage that is caused by a crit is not maximized, extra damage that would have been in effect if the attack was not a crit are maximized. So since the encounter power would have worked if the attack had simply hit it is maximized, the same goes for sneak attack, quarry, and curse damage.

Magic weapon additional damage on crits only happens on crits and is thus not maximized.

As for pedantry I'd be a pot referring to you as a dark hued kettle if I complained! :D[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases