The Blade, 2nd Edition Bard kit, updated, how would you do it?

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I always liked the Blade, the 2nd edition kit from that bard book. Complete bard I think it was.
How would you make it into a pseudo-bard class for 3.5?

I was thinking:

Reduce spells per day by 1 at each level.

Add Assassin spell list to the Bard's spell list, then drop any spells having to do with singing.

Use Perform (Weapon Drill) instead of singing or playing instruments, etc, for the various bard abilities.

Drop any singing-related abilities. (Countersong, Suggestion, etc)

Sneak Attack at 1, 4, 7, 10, etc

Not sure how to do Offensive and Defensive Spin abilities. uessing using daily uses of Bardic Abilities.
Offensive = Perform-based Intimidate on hit? Suggestion-based 'go attack someone else' or 'run away'?
Defensive = Reflex-based damage shield effect?

Halve the penalties for Two Weapon Fighting, (or two weapon throwing)

Anything seem over- or under-powered?

Looking to capture the flavor of the class, in a modified base class, without multiclassing.

Drowbane

First Post
the 2e Bard splat book was pretty good. I don't remember the Blade (or any of the other kits) too clearly now... but I remember that one of my players had a very effective Blade.

I also rememebr having the impression that they weren't really good at sword-fighting... they were good at making others think they were good at sword-fighting.

That said... a Bard / Duellist should cover the concept fairly nicely (not as effective as a fighter or rogue... but still capable in its own right). No?

Kmart Kommando

First Post
the 2e Bard splat book was pretty good. I don't remember the Blade (or any of the other kits) too clearly now... but I remember that one of my players had a very effective Blade.

I also rememebr having the impression that they weren't really good at sword-fighting... they were good at making others think they were good at sword-fighting.

That said... a Bard / Duellist should cover the concept fairly nicely (not as effective as a fighter or rogue... but still capable in its own right). No?
Duelist, as in DMG Duelist? That one sucks. They have to wait until 7th class level to be almost as effective at defending themselves as a 1st class level of anything else with light armor proficiency and 5000gp. :hmm:
Also, my current DM doesn't allow fractional BAB and saves, so any cleric BAB and/or poor save classes get the shaft when multiclassing.

Thanael

Explorer
This is a conversion by modus0 from the old dicefreaks boards:
modus0 said:
Blade
Hit Die: d6

Requirements
To qualify to become a Blade, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-lawful.
Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Dodge.
Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Intimidate 8 ranks, Perform (dance) 8 ranks.

Class Skills
The Blade’s class skills (and the key ability score for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Sex), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Blade prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Blades are proficient with all simple and martial melee and thrown weapons. Blades are proficient with light armor, but not shields.

Weapons Display (Ex): A blade can affect the morale of his enemies and allies by twirling a melee weapon about his body.
As a full-round action, a blade may whirl a non-missile weapon about his body.
This display causes all enemies of the blade to suffer a -2 morale penalty to attack rolls and saving throws unless they succeed at a Will save (DC 10 +the Blade’s Intimidate modifier), and grants the blade’s allies a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saving throws. A successful attack against the blade or failed saving throw during the round of the weapons display disrupts the display, preventing the effects of the display.
The display may only be used once per encounter and lasts for one round per class level of the blade.

Handle Weapon (Ex): The blade is so skilled at fighting with two weapons, that he gains the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, and his attack penalties for fighting with two weapons are lessened by 1 (from -4 to -3, or from -2 to -1 if the off-hand weapon is a light weapon). At 5th level, the attack penalties are lessened by another 1 (from -3 to -2, or to +0 if the off-hand weapon is a light weapon). The blade loses this ability when fighting in medium or heavy armor. The blade also gains Snatch Arrows as a bonus feat. He does not have to meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Trick Throw (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, if a blade attacks with a melee thrown weapon, or a missile weapon, he ignores anything less than 3/4 cover, and takes no penalty for shooting or throwing into melee. The blade also extends the benefits of the Blind-Fight feat out of 30 feet with missile and melee thrown weapons.

Defensive Spin (Ex): When the blade chooses to fight defensively, or use all-out defense in melee combat, he gains a competence bonus to Armor Class equal to one-half his class level, rounded down, during this maneuver. Any opponent that makes a melee attack against the blade must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + Blade level + Blade’s Dex modifier) or they take an amount of damage equal to half the blade’s level, up to the maximum damage of their weapon, including enhancements. A successful attack on the blade ends the defensive spin.
The defensive spin may only be used once per combat, and lasts a number of rounds equal to the blade’s Constitution score.

Offensive Spin (Ex): As a full-round action, the blade can perform an offensive spin. The blade chooses a specific opponent, and instead of attacking, begins to whirl his weapons about him in a fearsome display. During the round, the opponent is free to attack the blade, and a successful attack ends the offensive spin and prevents its use against that opponent. If the blade successfully completes the spin, on his next round he may make a single normal attack against that opponent. If he hits, he deals maximum damage and the opponent must make a Will save (DC 10 + the blade’s HD + the blade’s Cha modifier) or stay at least ten feet from the blade (going off to attack other members of the blade’s party, or fleeing in terror if the blade is the only opponent). The blade may not perform an offensive spin against any creature that has previously damaged him.

Blade
Code:
Level BAB  Fort Ref  Will   Special            
1st   +1   +0   +2   +0   Weapons display    
2nd   +2   +0   +3   +0   Handle weapon    
3rd   +3   +1   +3   +1   Trick throw        
4th   +4   +1   +4   +1   Defensive spin    
5th   +5   +1   +4   +1   Offensive spin

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
I think my Swashbuckler variant for the Bard would be reasonably close....but it's been a long time since I looked at the 2E kits, so I can't really remember what particular abilities distinguished the Blade besides it greater focus on mundane skill.

Swashbuckler split between posts 37 and 38.

avr

First Post
The haunting melody feat in the ECS might be handy for a point of comparison for the offensive/defensive spins.

Drowbane

First Post
Duelist, as in DMG Duelist? That one sucks. They have to wait until 7th class level to be almost as effective at defending themselves as a 1st class level of anything else with light armor proficiency and 5000gp. :hmm:
Also, my current DM doesn't allow fractional BAB and saves, so any cleric BAB and/or poor save classes get the shaft when multiclassing.

Yeah, but the 2e Blade was weak too. It'll be just like old times.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases