Fall dance/event

Tharivious

First Post
If we did the monster idea, I can't remember who said it, but if we did that in a fantasy setting wouldn't it be a little ah....racist??
Why? Because it might remind the monsters that they're, y'know, monsters?:erm:

Has political correctness actually gone that far in the chats, where characters dressing up as, say, vampires, could be misconstrued as racist for pointing out that, shock and horror, the vast majority of the world sees them as monsters?

Nugan

First Post
If we did the monster idea, I can't remember who said it, but if we did that in a fantasy setting wouldn't it be a little ah....racist??

I find two possible ways to read this statement:

"If we dressed up as monsters--and most humanoid monsters are playable races in D&D--couldn't that be perceived as racist by actual members of those monster races in character, much as blackface minstrelsy is considered racist towards blacks in our world?"

Or: "Since most humanoid D&D monsters are thinly veiled racial stereotypes viewed through the myopic, Euro-centric perspective of fantasy fiction, wouldn't dressing up as monsters be racist, since it's essentially a form of blackface minstrelsy?"

The first possibility seems more like an in character concern, so I'm not sure if it should impact the out of character decision about the form of dance you decide to hold. The second possibility, on the other hand, is such a large, sweeping problem with fantasy that, if you begin to address it, even dwarves and elves fall into question. So, I'd say that racism is either a non-issue or much too large an issue to be remedied by opting not to hold a *sigh* Monsters Ball.

Infernal Scribe

First Post
I agree that the modern room should probably be the showcase this time around.

If your going to do a modern halloween club party, ya usually go with a theme and (include fake) sponsorship. Examples include: Wild West (cowboys and indians), Disco (ooo scarey), Horror Rockabilly (ala rock/punk), Fetish Ball (probably against the CoC), Sci Fi/Super Heroes/Super Villains/etc (its a geekage convention!), Celebrity (still might be a geekage convention..), Monster-themed (rawr im a monster), Roaring 20s (gangsters and molls), Bon Festival/Day of the Dead (bring out your zombies), and venetian masquerade (yeah i also dig labyrinth) are just to name a few.

halloweenthingsg9.jpg

Ruthia

First Post
So looks like Venetian Masquerade Ball is the most talked about idea. Looks like TMP is the talked about place. Combine them?

Sienna_Rose

First Post
I like that idea! :)
But, I think emphasizing fantasy or fantastic for the costumes - not as in fantasy characters, but, more like what's in Labyrinth, kinda fantastical. If that makes any sense. As options, of course.

Last edited:

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Okay, so it sounds like you folks have worked out that you would like something like a Labyrinth style ball in the TMP. That is definitely do-able. I might even be able to still fit something like that lovely fountain filled perhaps with punch! ;)

Now, how about a day/time? Sundays are easiest for me to host. How does that sound to everyone? Let's open the floor to date and time discussions.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
How about Sunday the 26th of October? I'm thinking 4-8PM Eastern time. How's that sound? Any other design elements you'd like to see in this Venetian/Labyrinth masquerade?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases