D&D 4th Edition 4E Criticals - explain to me why they're less swingy - Page 2

What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Wormwood
    I'll admit 4e crits gain in swinginess as item levels increase.

That said, I'm willing to trade a slightly shorter combat for the cheers I see at my table wherever someone rolls a 20.
    /ˈwərmˌwo͝od/ noun. a state or source of bitterness or grief.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Styracosaurus
    My communities:

If critical hits were not dangerous, then they wouldn't be very exciting or scary.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore MrMyth
    A few things of note:

1) Relatively few monsters get any extra damage on a crit - most just maximize it, and minions don't even do that. Thus, it is less swingy in that you rarely have an enemy make an attack that, on a normal hit, would drop a PC unconscious - but on a crit, just kills them outright. You do have some PCs do this with monsters - but since they 'die' at 0 anyway (for all intents and purposes), it isn't as big a deal.

2) Crits giving flat amounts of damage bonuses (+1d6, 2d6, 6d6, etc) doesn't have the explosive potential that multiplying damage does. It also means that critical hits are important for everyone- whereas I've seen times when a rogue crits with a dagger is meaningless, but the full power-attacking fighter's crit will blow any enemy out of their shoes.

3) You can still design for some high damage crits, but the total limit is still reasonable. A level 15 character with a +4 Vicious Greataxe will crit for maybe 75 damage, as opposed to the 30 or so he might do on a normal swing. That's double damage from something tricked out to be good on a crit - whereas, previously, double damage on a crit was the norm. Someone tricked out to crit with a scythe would suddenly going from a 50 damage swing to a 200 damage swing. The only attack in 4E that really gets up there is Assassin's Point - a level 29 rogue daily power designed to be absurd on a crit. And even that at its worst isn't one-shotting elites or solos. It will only one-shot a regular guy, and only then if the character is really designed to take advantage for crits.

4) The frequency of crits is pretty strict. You crit on 20s. At epic levels, and rarely at the paragon tier, you crit on 19s. And in a few specific cases, characters can crit on 18s. In 3.0, you could be critting on 2+. And even in 3.5, which mostly fixed that, you could easily have falchion wieldings critting 1/4 of the time, starting at relatively low levels.

Crits are certainly still significant. They are still great to see happen. But I definitely think they have much less potential for abuse (from the player's side of things), and they are much less likely to spontaneously explode a healthy PC randomly (from the monster side of things.)

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore FireLance
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
    However, the caveat here is that it's one-sided. Players have awesome criticals. Majority of the monsters don't (the scimitar-wielding monsters are the exception but even then, they only have the high crit property, not all those extra damage from having magic weapons).
    Yup. Criticals tend to be less swingy for the PCs. Crit-focused PCs can still pull off pretty impressive criticals against the monsters.

However, on the monster side, this is further mitigated by elites and solos, which tend to have higher hit points, or larger numbers of monsters, so that even if a critical one-shots a standard monster, there still are four (or more) left.

In addition, dropping a PC tends to be a bigger deal than dropping a monster since, even in 4e, it reduces a player's participation in the game. So, even if the effect of criticals is only mitigated for the PCs, the game still seems less swingy.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Stalker0
    My communities:

PCs are enduring enough to take a crit even at low levels. AT high levels, monsters have such large hitpoints that even if a PC has a crazy crit bonus thing going on, he's not going to rip a monster in two.
    Is your game having issues with Grind? Check out Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind

Do you want a skill challenge system that is less mechanical and encourages more roleplaying? Try my Obsidian Skill Challenge System

Like the core 4e system, but prefer a more balanced system with additional options? Try my Alternate Core Skill Challenge System

blargney the minute's son COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore blargney the second
    My communities:

I just discovered on Wednesday that crits from brutes are absolutely insane. At 3rd level a 30 damage crit in the first round of combat instantly switched our party from offense to defense.
    -blarg
    Red Hot Swing
    "In Inspired Sarlona, nightmares have you!" -Klaus

Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    D&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

Ignore MerricB
    Quote Originally Posted by blargney the second View Post
    I just discovered on Wednesday that crits from brutes are absolutely insane. At 3rd level a 30 damage crit in the first round of combat instantly switched our party from offense to defense.
    -blarg
    Woo. Yes, that would do it!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Blog - a blog about gaming | Now on Twitter!
    Reviews of classic D&D adventures | List and Reviews of 5E Adventures
    Merric's Law of Miniatures: Non-Random Packaging, Cheap Prices, and a Large Range of Figures: Choose two.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore the Jester
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by blargney the second View Post
    -blarg
    Ow!!

Yeah, imagine a critical on a brute monster's big one-use power...
    the Jester

The Monster Project

Buy my first self-published weird sci-fi novel from Amazon here!

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Spatula
    The difference is, crits in 3e were super deadly because of mutiplying bonus damage and, at higher levels, Power Attack. And because most PCs are glass cannons. 4e crits look pretty random, but aren't going to one-shot the mage.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore JoeGKushner
    My communities:

Way swingy.

Like watching the stock market the last week.

I'm wondering how it'll play at higher levels but even with the greater amount of hit points, if a non-minion critis, it hurts and throws the whole idea of... balance out so to speak.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast