[OOC] Hall of the Dwarven Lord

Leif

Adventurer
HM: Personally, I quite like the unlimited cantrips rule of Pathfinder. Makes great sense to me, and gives the Wizard something useful to do all the time. ;)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I quite agree - I think unlimited cantrips are an excellent move.

If you're really worried about Detect Magic, you could always house rule it into a first level spell - that would take care of the one spell without eliminating the unlimited use of all cantrips.

In general, I'm fine with unlimited Detect Magic - I got no beef with being able to quickly sort out the magic from the mundane in terms of treasure. The one area of concern for me is that it becomes a very cheap way to discover areas that are potential magical traps - which can be 'story breaking' and certainly steps into the Rogue's (already limited) territory.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hmm didn't think on magic traps, See I just remember the good old days when you waited to cast it so you had to decide what you wanted to take with you after you searched a room.

Now Brawar is my first Wizard in PF (my first PF character ever btw) And I'm still getting use to it I was just thinking from a DM perspective.

Now my PF cleric he always takes guidance and I have said he always utters a prayer before doing something that the guidance could help with.
Not attacks naturally but any skill checks, and such.

With them being cantrips they make Wands of Detect Magic obselete normally a standard item. Guess I need to get use to the new era of role-playing. Just call me an old fuddy duddy.

LOL I see me on the rocker now looking down and the grandkids and there electronic dice roller pads and I say, "In my day we used dice and that was good enough for us, hrmph. Dang kids and their new fangled gadgets."

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
LOL I see me on the rocker now looking down and the grandkids and there electronic dice roller pads and I say, "In my day we used dice and that was good enough for us, hrmph. Dang kids and their new fangled gadgets."

You're already there, my friend! (Well, you're not so old as some of us, but . . .)
There are several dice roller apps out there for the various smart phones - some of them look really good.

Walking Dad

First Post
I quite agree - I think unlimited cantrips are an excellent move.

If you're really worried about Detect Magic, you could always house rule it into a first level spell - that would take care of the one spell without eliminating the unlimited use of all cantrips.

In general, I'm fine with unlimited Detect Magic - I got no beef with being able to quickly sort out the magic from the mundane in terms of treasure. The one area of concern for me is that it becomes a very cheap way to discover areas that are potential magical traps - which can be 'story breaking' and certainly steps into the Rogue's (already limited) territory.

One could always rule, that "detect magic" just activates an additional sense... that only sees something purposely hidden on a perception check.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
One could always rule, that "detect magic" just activates an additional sense... that only sees something purposely hidden on a perception check.

That seems a good solution to me - if I did it this way I'd balance the loss of 'autodetect' with the elimination of the cone area. The cone gets ignored often anyway, and making Detect Magic a sense that piggybacks on the other senses would increase it's utility somewhat.

Leif

Adventurer
With them being cantrips they make Wands of Detect Magic obselete normally a standard item. Guess I need to get use to the new era of role-playing. Just call me an old fuddy duddy.
Not so for parties who lack a wizard! Hard to imagine, I know, but it is possible. (Assuming, that is, that they have a cleric or a druid who can use the wand....)

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hey all sorry Brawar isn't more helpful during combats but I am finding that the dungeon is a little crowded. And with the poor spell selection I chose before the adventure started isn't helping. LOL I really can't cast Enlarge Person anytime soon or everyone else would be out of the fight do to the small rooms.

Just letting you know I wish I could help but right now I think support is going to be Brawar's role. And keeping an eye out should the noise draw unwanted attention.

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
... LOL I really can't cast Enlarge Person anytime soon or everyone else would be out of the fight do to the small rooms.

A large Ray would relly hinder the enemies. And would give him reach. Don't forget there are squeezing rules for movement, so he can get past doors.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
true but I have been saving the enlarge person for whatever made the "dragon-like" tracks we saw before entering the dungeon.

Brawar has also been keeping an eye out for monsters because he knows there is something nasty down here and he doesn't want it sneaking up on the party.

HM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases