[OOC] Hall of the Dwarven Lord

Leif

Adventurer
I also vote for choice "B" or "C" either one is fine. And, Mowgs, Ray would like very much to have another fighter with whom to share the front-line duties!

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Of course I would vote c. But I would still like to know about advancement.

Would it be clear a lvl than advance or could you hand out earned XP every 6 months or so. It's just one of the drawbacks of pbp - taking so long to see a change in your character. And I do like my character.

HM
So, you would like to gain 2 levels? Or don't you want to re-equip in town and level-up now, in the hall?

Do you need specific XP numbers for something special?

For the voting:
Will maybe use my cave map with strange monsters and only 'old-school' logic ('yes there are 100 orcs in here and no toilet, kitchen or sleeping places.').

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh you are talking about leveling up now. I thought you meant that from time to time we would go to town and lvl up and re-equip.

I was just wondering if we would gain one lvl per dungeon lvl cleared. Or...

After 6 months of play figure up all the XP we earned those 6 months and be rewarded them.

Either way is fine I was just wondering what your thoughts on what you might like to do would be. I am all for some old school delving to try out new things which is why I will stick around.

HM

Arkhandus

First Post
I think I'll just be dropping out of the game at this point....... I need to spend some more time working on preparations for my weekly games and I can't seem to devote quite enough time and focus to PbPs lately, while running 3 weekly games (possibly 4 in the near future) on OpenRPG. I may run some more PbPs myself in the near future, but I don't think I can focus on PbPs much right now with everything else I have to take care of.

Cade isn't particularly fun or interesting for me anyway, not much to him besides picking locks and disarming traps. Probably shoulda made a ranged rogue or a fighter/rogue instead, but meh. Cade = obligatory dungeon-delving rogue dude. Pathfinder rogues play exactly like 3.x rogues, with just a bit more of the same than what 3.x rogues already get. Maybe at upper levels they could be a little more interesting, but I dunno; the 11 core classes are pretty boring for me right now, even in Pathfinder. Call it core burnout; I still enjoy D&D, just notsomuch the same-old core races and classes I've been playing for almost a decade and a half (with very little else for variety, since I rarely find DMs who allow anything non-core).

On the off chance that anyone wants to take over Cade as trap-buster, lock-picker, and snarky backstabber, here's what he'd look like at 4th-level.
[sblock=Cade the rogue]Cade, Male Human Rogue 4, XP -----
Tanned Caucasian Skin, Roughly-Shorn Short Black Hair, Dark Blue Eyes
Age 18, Height 5'-10", Weight 153 lbs., Medium-size
Alignment: Neutral, Patron Deity: Olidammara
Languages: Common, Dwarven, and Elven

Str 17, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 8

HP 29 / 29, Nonlethal 0, AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-Footed 14
Fortitude +2, Reflex +6, Will +2, Speed 20 ft./30 ft. base (run x4)
BAB +3, CMB +6, CMD 18, Melee +6, Ranged +5, Initiative +2

Attacks:
2H MW Morningstar +7 melee for 1d8+4 piercing and bludgeoning (20/x2)
Dagger +6 melee or +5 ranged for 1d4+3 piercing or slashing (19-20/x2, 10 ft. increment)
Javelin +5 ranged for 1d6+3 piercing (20/x2, 30 ft. increment)

Feats:
Skill Focus (Bluff), Skill Focus (Perception), Combat Expertise, Improved Feint

Skills:
Acrobatics +8 (4 R, +2 Dex, +3 class, -1 ACP), Appraise +8 (4 R, +1 Int, +3 class), Bluff +9 (4 R, -1 Cha, +3 class, +3 feat), Climb +7/+9 (2 R, +3 Str, +3 class, -1 ACP, +0/+2 kit), Disable Device +12 (4 R, +2 Dex, +3 class, +2 trapfinding, -1 ACP, +2 tools), Escape Artist +8 (4 R, +2 Dex, +3 class, -1 ACP), Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +7 (3 R, +1 Int, +3 class), Knowledge (Local) +5 (1 R, +1 Int, +3 class), Linguistics +5 (1 R, +1 Int, +3 class), Perception +11/+13 (4 R, +1 Wis, +3 class, +0/+2 trapfinding, +3 feat), Sense Motive +8 (4 R, +1 Wis, +3 class), Sleight of Hand +6 (2 R, +2 Dex, +3 class, -1 ACP), Stealth +8 (4 R, +2 Dex, +3 class, -1 ACP), Swim +6 (1 R, +3 Str, +3 class, -1 ACP)

Class Features:
Rogue Proficiencies (simple weapons, light armor, hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, short sword), Sneak Attack +2d6, Trapfinding +2, Evasion (Ex), Rogue Talent (Trap Spotter: Ex, automatic Perception check to locate traps when passing within 10 feet of them), Trap Sense +1, Rogue Talent (Combat Trick, bonus combat feat), Uncanny Dodge (Ex, cannot be caught flat-footed, retains Dex to AC even against invisible attackers)

Racial Traits:
+2 Strength, Medium Humanoid (Human), Speed 30 ft., bonus feat, skilled, favored class: Rogue (+2 ranks, +2 hp)

Possessions:
Masterwork Morningstar (308 gp, 6 lbs., one-handed melee, +1 to hit), Dagger (2 gp, 1 lb., light melee/thrown), 5 Javelins (5 gp, 10 lbs., ranged thrown), Masterwork Chain Shirt (200 gp, 25 lbs., light, +4 AC, +4 MDB, -1 ACP, 20% ASF), Traveler's Outfit (free, 5 lbs., worn), Backpack (2 gp, 2 lbs., holds rations, water, shovel, and torch), Belt Pouch (1 gp, 1/2 lb., holds coins, potion, antitoxin, tools, chalk, ink, and pen), Sack (1 sp, 1/2 lb., holds kit, crowbar, and bedroll), Map Case (1 gp, 1/2 lb., holds parchment), 2 Parchments (4 sp), Ink (8 gp), Inkpen (1 sp), Bedroll (1 sp, 5 lbs.), Flint and Steel (1 gp), 5 Trail Rations (25 sp, 5 lbs.), 5 Waterskins (5 gp, 20 lbs.), Masterwork Thieves' Tools (100 gp, 2 lbs., +2 Disable Device), Chalk (1 cp), Crowbar (2 gp, 5 lbs.), Shovel (2 gp, 8 lbs.), Grappling Hook (1 gp, 4 lbs.), 50-ft. Silk Rope (10 gp, 5 lbs.), Climber's Kit (80 gp, 5 lbs., +2 Climb), Everburning Torch (110 gp, 1 lb.), Antitoxin (50 gp), Potion of Cure Light Wounds (1st-level caster), 7 gp, 17 sp, 9 cp

Load 119-1/2 lbs., Light 0-86, Medium 87-173, Heavy 174-260

Appearance:
Cade is a human fellow in his late teenage years, of average height and fairly muscular. His face is rather plain, with roughly-shorn short black hair, dark blue eyes, and tanned skin. He wears simple garb that doesn't see much maintenance or cleaning: knee-high leather boots, leather gloves, gray breeches, a dark brown shirt, a tan vest with several pockets, and a large gray cloak with hood. Cade wears a fine chainmail shirt over this, but that too is slightly dirty. A well-made morningstar rests in a brace of sorts at the left side of his belt, and a simple dagger is sheathed at the right. A pouch hangs behind the dagger while a backpack and a large sack are slung over his shoulders, packed with gear as evidenced by the shovel sticking out at top and the coil of rope around Cade's right shoulder. A mapcase is tied to the back of his belt, and a few javelins hang behind his left shoulder on a bandolier. Cade appears to be left-handed, and moves gracefully.

Personality:
Cade is a sarcastic, selfish, greedy opportunist with a bad sense of humor. On the other hand, he's almost a halfway decent human being once you get past all that. He's not as heartless or ruthless as many other thieves and vagabonds, understands the value of hard work and teamwork, and is willing to help other people as long as it benefits him somehow (and don't give him no bull about warm fuzzy feelings being payment enough).

He's fairly even-tempered and has no particular malice towards anyone, though he's willing to fight and even kill in self-defense (and if he puts himself in a situation where that's necessary, such as when trying to get at some treasure and running into a guardian, so be it). He feels bad when he has to kill anything other than a bothersome pest, but it doesn't stop him from killing anything dangerous and in his way. If he can go around a threat, he will; otherwise he'll fight his way through it. Cade is alert and wary, but too curious and too much of a thrill-seeker, so he often goes where most folk wouldn't, even if he ends up needing to run away afterward. He's a fairly good liar from plenty of practice, but isn't much of a people-person and his rough, selfish nature tends to grate on others.

Background:
Cade, last name unknown, is a runaway from an insignificant fishing village out in the booneys, where he used to haul stuff around for his father when he wasn't sneaking off to explore and cause trouble. He hated the boring little village and its plain surroundings, and hated the stink of fish everywhere, so he stowed away on the first real ship to come by in years. He was around 9 years old at the time.

Cade scraped by for the next few years through hard labor for whoever would give him some coin in the port city he arrived in, as well as gambling and being a street performer at times, using his natural agility and learning some moves from a circus that passed through town one year. Mostly he just got by through stealing and simply being good enough to get away with it, though he was too wary of pick-pocketing, instead just burgling or stealing things from windowsills, unlocked rooms, and merchants' stalls using his quick wits and trickery. Cade naturally fell in with the local thieves' guild, out of necessity, but still did as much real work as he could, not quite willing to prey on other people any more than necessary.

Eventually, after stowing away on a caravan heading elsewhere, Cade discovered what he really wanted to do for a living: exploration and tomb-robbing. The dead didn't need their possessions to get by, so who would he hurt by taking their stuff? Plus he liked the thrill of it, and needed some excitement in his life beyond that of worrying about the city guards catching him someday. So he left behind the previous city for good, and joined up with an explorer he met in the new town he visited. After finding the expedition a bit too orderly and dull, Cade split off from the rest of the group and delved deeper, finding some more treasure for himself, and hid that treasure until he was ready to leave the expedition and find another opportunity for tomb-robbing.

He spent the next few years with other explorers and adventurers, visiting old tombs, castles, and other ruins where he honed his skills as a spelunker and treasure-hunter. He's picked up a few languages and tricks along the way, mostly from folks he's been on expeditions with. Now Cade has some experience fighting kobolds, darkmantles, and overgrown vermin, but still isn't very wealthy. He's spent most of his treasure so far on simply buying better gear for treasure-hunting and protecting his greedy arse in the process. When passing through another town and looking for opportunities, Cade heard about some dwarves being overrun in their halls by a bunch of goblinoids..... And he figured, if others are headed that way to help, maybe he could too? Dwarves are known for hoarding plenty of valuable rocks and fine equipment like mithral armor, so it could be rather profitable..... Even if the dwarves weren't all dead, they couldn't fault a man for taking some souvenirs after rescuing them, could they?
[/sblock]

Walking Dad

First Post
Thanks for the clear break, Arkhandus. I hope you had some fun.

Ok, I will recruit a new level 4 hero/victim.

@ the others: For the dwarfs reward, just make sure your whole equipment is worth 6,000 gp when you leave the town next time.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
So gain one level, total gear worth 6000 GP?

Yeah, that was my question, too!

I think I'll just be dropping out of the game at this point....... I need to spend some more time working on preparations for my weekly games and I can't seem to devote quite enough time and focus to PbPs lately, while running 3 weekly games (possibly 4 in the near future) on OpenRPG. I may run some more PbPs myself in the near future, but I don't think I can focus on PbPs much right now with everything else I have to take care of.
It's been fun, Arkhandus, both here and in Scotley's Tomb of Horrors. Although I will observe that I don't share your propensity for 'burn-out' -- even after more than 30 years of play I am still happiest when playing a Wizard or a Fighter. Go figure..... :D

Walking Dad

First Post
Yes. 6,000 gp is the suggested starting wealth for 4th level characters.

So you should be well equiped enough to survive at least one encounter :devil:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases