October '08: What Are You Reading?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Started on Jumper again last night. Hopefully I'll be headed over to the library this weekend. Definitely gotta read me some Deathly Hallows.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I'm going through one of Finland's classical writer's production. Called Mika Waltari. Right now on book called Johannes Angelos. A historical novel about the siege of Constantinople in 1453.

delericho

Legend
I'm about 140 pages from the end of "Krondor: the Betrayal". It's not awful, but not Feist's best work. Apparently, the novel was based on a video game, which is quite obvious in places. There are significant plot points, and a number of passages, that seem quite 'video-gamey'. I'm hoping to finish it this week.

Next up is "The Pale Horseman" by Bernard Cornwell, followed by "Twenty Years After" by Dumas. Unless I decide to read something else instead.

I am also part way through the "Pathfinder Campaign Setting", but have put it on hold for the moment. The first chapter was really quite impressive, and I'm looking forward to digging into the rest. However, before I do that I'm going to read DCC 54, "Forges of the Mountain King", which I will be running next as one of our '4e evaluation' games.

Other game books on my list of things to read are "Barony of the Damned" for Warhammer, and books three and four from the "Castle Whiterock" set.

Wombat

First Post
I have started my annual October reading program:

a bit of Lovecraft
a bit of Poe
Ray Bradbury's The October Country
and other miscellaneous attendant works (such as LeFanu's Green Tea and Carmilla last night)

I just finished Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

As usual it reminded me of how awesome science is and what a shame it is that it is usually portrayed in as boring a manner as possible.

Apparently, the guy who came up with the bright idea of putting lead in petrol also had the cunning idea of using CFCs everywhere.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I'm reading the Lies of Locke Lamora.

I also just started reading a nonfiction book called The Corpse Walkers. I was at a Neil Gaiman reading on Wednesday, and he recommended it. It's a collection on oral histories (interviews) with many people at the lowest rungs of modern Chinese societies, including professional mourners (paid to wail and cry during funerals), human trafficers, lepers, a peasant in prison for declaring himself Emperor of his part of China, Falun Gong members, and many others. It's fascinating, and a surprisingly easy read.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Finally finished City at the End of Time. I felt like I didn't totally understand what was going on toward the end, but oh well.

Just started a "best of 2007" sci fi anthology.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases