Advanced Player's Guide questions

JoeGKushner

First Post
I got mine today! I only had a chance to flip through it a bit. I discovered one bad thing about a B&W 4E book... I kinda like the green/red/gray color coding of the powers. Makes them stand out more. It won't matter after I make power cards for them, but still...

Chris

That's an interesting point Chris.

With PDF having all sorts of options, that doesn't sound impossible and it sounds like there's some errata that's going to have to be hit anyway. Maybe the old publishers will take that into account.

Well I got it and I am liking it. Especially the monk, I just love his minor attack, a great way to do the strikers extra damage....elf monks as well -great fun speed 8! And as to the barbarian sorry Savage Warrior, I am really interested in seeing how one defends without marking (edit: I mean less reliance on marking)...marking can be annoying in the game so it is nice to see another mechanic.

Anyway do you want us to post errors, queries etc here Mouseferatu? Or email them or something. Just a few we have picked up so far:

1. Savage Charge is not as good as the PHB feat Fast Runner
2. Obfuscating Mist (SB Util 1) does not have a duration.
3. No SB Daily 1st level powers.
4. Troubador Arcane Channel could just be a free action, I think. You can do a free action whenever you want, so you should be able to do it during an allies turn. If not just a free action it needs to be an imm interrupt as a reaction is taken after the action (i.e. the allies power) is totally resolved/finished. However if using it as a free action is not correct an immediate action definitely needs a trigger description.
5. Soothe the savage beast (Tr Daily 1)has the paralysis keyword which does not exist AFAIK.
6. IMO Demon Dance (MA Enc 1) which basically does [w] damage to every creature within 2 squares for the entire encounter is just a little over powered!

Last edited:

Gizmoduck5000

Banned
Banned
Have no doubt, it upsets me, too. :(

Not that they were found, I mean. ;) That they're there at all.

I could fall back on the fact that I've never put together a book quite like this, or that I was new to the system, or that the system was still in flux while I was coming up with some of this, and all that would be true... But it doesn't change the fact that I should have caught/realized a lot of this, and I didn't.

I truly believe this is an excellent resource, and I'm proud of how the book came out. Still, for the errors that did creep in, I certainly apologize.

Not to worry, we gamers are a clever lot and prone to tinkering, so we will be able to fill in any vacancies left in the book.

And since it turns out that "A Dance With Dragons" didn't come out this week afterall, I will be popping into my FLGS to pick this up post haste.

So take heart, a small chunk of my personal finances now belongs to you, and your work will soon be gracing my gaming table.

catsclaw227

First Post
Well if Ari and XRP tells me that they updated the PDF with the different editing problems that have come out I would buy the PDF immediately.

Some of the edits that I see would be:
  • missing 1st level daily for spellbinder
  • martial artist weapons
  • alternate implements
  • editing the text to make barbarian marking clearer
  • glib tongue bonus to +4
  • making the powers color-coded

tsadkiel

Legend
So, about the Spellbinder level one daily thing - I was looking at the Troubador, figuring they probably have something which could be used by a Spellbinder, and I noticed Imaginary Terrain. Uses an implement, Illusion keyword - perfect, in other words. Then I looked at the Spellbinder power list again, and Imaginary terrain is listed with the encounter powers, though the power text still says it's a daily. Which is it supposed to be?

So, about the Spellbinder level one daily thing - I was looking at the Troubador, figuring they probably have something which could be used by a Spellbinder, and I noticed Imaginary Terrain. Uses an implement, Illusion keyword - perfect, in other words. Then I looked at the Spellbinder power list again, and Imaginary terrain is listed with the encounter powers, though the power text still says it's a daily. Which is it supposed to be?

Well, I don't have access to my books or files right now--I'm away from home until tomorrow evening--but it's entirely possible that my error was not one of omission, but simply neglecting to break out the level 1 dailies into their own section, but instead kept them under the same heading as the level 1 encounters.

If that proves to be the case, it's certainly a much easier fix. ;)

But again, I'll check tomorrow, as soon as I can.

Jack99

Adventurer
/derail thread

And since it turns out that "A Dance With Dragons" didn't come out this week afterall, I will be popping into my FLGS to pick this up post haste.

GRRM isn't done with the book yet, so that's no small surprise. His last update was January 1st, and he promised to post here again when he was done.

/rerail(?) thread

1. Savage Charge is not as good as the PHB feat Fast Runner

True. OTOH, there's no minimum stat prereq, and they stack. :) (Basically, I wanted a feat that mimics the ability many orcs to charge faster from the MM.)

2. Obfuscating Mist (SB Util 1) does not have a duration.

Any sustainable power that doesn't give a max duration can be sustained for up to 5 minutes or until the end of the encounter. )PHB, p. 278.)

3. No SB Daily 1st level powers.

Working on that as we speak. :)

4. Troubador Arcane Channel could just be a free action, I think. You can do a free action whenever you want, so you should be able to do it during an allies turn. If not just a free action it needs to be an imm interrupt as a reaction is taken after the action (i.e. the allies power) is totally resolved/finished. However if using it as a free action is not correct an immediate action definitely needs a trigger description.

The "free" is extraneous. It's an immediate action. (It does have a trigger description.) :)

5. Soothe the savage beast (Tr Daily 1)has the paralysis keyword which does not exist AFAIK.

D'oh! Old keyword that got cut. Just ignore it. :eek:

6. IMO Demon Dance (MA Enc 1) which basically does [w] damage to every creature within 2 squares for the entire encounter is just a little over powered!

Damn it! That's supposed to be a daily power!

As far as the color-coding, I can't speak to that. That's the layout department, and I have no clue if it's something they can do easily or not. My guess is no, because the entire file is in black-and-white (as that's how it was published), but like I said, I'm just guessing.

Sending the errata list to Joe in just a few minutes. :)

(And lest anyone get the wrong idea, while I'm very sorry for these mistakes, I'm still quite proud of the book as a whole.)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases