Advanced Player's Guide questions

Awesome job Ari! I never bought non WotC 3x stuff ... I know so sad, even sadder if it was of this quality. I got the PDF last night after reading the review and link here at EnWorld. Thanks for the heads up.

QUESTION: Is the non pdf version in full colour? If it is I'm sad because I was so hoping for a colour pdf :)

Cheers

True. OTOH, there's no minimum stat prereq, and they stack. :) (Basically, I wanted a feat that mimics the ability many orcs to charge faster from the MM.)
cool, fair enough.
Any sustainable power that doesn't give a max duration can be sustained for up to 5 minutes or until the end of the encounter. )PHB, p. 278.)
what sustain? There is no sustain action listed???
Working on that as we speak. :)
cool ;)
The "free" is extraneous. It's an immediate action. (It does have a trigger description.) :)
D'oh sorry ..how embarrassing!
D'oh! Old keyword that got cut. Just ignore it. :eek:
Will do, was going to just letting you know :)
Damn it! That's supposed to be a daily power!
Kay, still pretty awesome!
Sending the errata list to Joe in just a few minutes. :)
If we find more do you still want it here?
(And lest anyone get the wrong idea, while I'm very sorry for these mistakes, I'm still quite proud of the book as a whole.)
And you should be great book, especially since it was written with the rules in a state of flux. One might even say that the WotC core 3 probably have more errors per page! ;) Worth the money and I paid for the hardcopy and PDF :) Keep it up and I'll keep buying.

what sustain? There is no sustain action listed???

That's odd. Both my print copy and my PDF have "Sustain Minor" listed.

Kay, still pretty awesome!

Yeah, it's definitely on the upper end. That's why I didn't include any stat mods. ;) But I wanted it to be a pretty good offensive stance, since the monk's a striker and most stances belong to the defenders.

If we find more do you still want it here?

Here's just fine. Or e-mail me, either way you prefer.

And you should be great book, especially since it was written with the rules in a state of flux. One might even say that the WotC core 3 probably have more errors per page! ;) Worth the money and I paid for the hardcopy and PDF :) Keep it up and I'll keep buying.

Thanks. :)

I haven't received my hardcover yet, hopefully soon! However the PDF from XRP has this for Obfuscating Mist [sblock]Obfuscating Mist Spellbinder Utility 2
A wide bank of mist rolls in out of nowhere, obscuring the
area around you.
Daily • Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action Close burst 3
Effect: The fog blocks line of sight. Although it initially
forms around you, it does not move with you.[/sblock]If you want me to delete this please tell me and I'll get rid of it but it is not giving too much away :)

I haven't received my hardcover yet, hopefully soon! However the PDF from XRP has this for Obfuscating Mist [sblock]Obfuscating Mist Spellbinder Utility 2
A wide bank of mist rolls in out of nowhere, obscuring the
area around you.
Daily • Arcane, Illusion
Standard Action Close burst 3
Effect: The fog blocks line of sight. Although it initially
forms around you, it does not move with you.[/sblock]If you want me to delete this please tell me and I'll get rid of it but it is not giving too much away :)

I think I can tolerate one power appearing here. ;)

It's odd, though. My copy has the following line at the end:

Sustain Minor: The cloud persists.

I have no idea why your PDF wouldn't have that when the book and my PDF do. That's the funkiest thing...

Guys? Can anyone else reading this thread who bought the PDF check their copy, please? I'd like to know if this is some sort of glitch in Mach's copy, or if it's endemic to all the YGN-purchased PDFs.

Oh! Wait a minute! I see what the problem is.

Somehow, I hadn't registered that you were looking at the spellbinder. I've been looking at the nature priest, where the power first appears.

The spellbinder version must not have gotten copied-and-pasted in its entirety.

I'll add that to the errata, but damn, I feel better knowing WTF is going on. ;)

I hope I haven't come off as too negative. I think this is a great book, and the '1st edition feel' is there. I DM now but when I used to play (after BECMI) my fave PCs where half orc fighter assassins and gnome illusionists so I love the book. I always even liked 3E bards despite their suckyness and I am happy to see a decent one here!

You can keep your druids and barbarians though! ;)

EDIT: cool weirdness solved :)

Guys? Can anyone else reading this thread who bought the PDF check their copy, please? I'd like to know if this is some sort of glitch in Mach's copy, or if it's endemic to all the YGN-purchased PDFs.

My PDF also has nothing about sustaining in Obfuscating Mist in the Spellbinder section.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you already figured it out Ari.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I just bought a pdf copy, and I've skimmed it.

My 1st impression....honestly its disappointment, and let me go through a few points and clarify why.

My first look was the martial artist. I thought the charge mechanic was a great idea. The extra attack is interesting, it lowers his big damage numbers but makes his damage more consistent, provided he has minor actions to spend. I think as levels get higher and a character needs those minor actions for more activations the mechanic is going to look weaker and weaker.

And then I saw the 1st level encounter power Demon Dance, and I'll admit I reread the power 5 times because I couldn't believe my eyes. It is much stronger than the Fighter's Rain of Steel (considered by some to be an overpowered power its in own right)...its 1st level....and its an encounter power! I think that is literally the strongest power I have seen to date. Sure this guy is a striker, but I don't think he's supposed to be mowing down every minion in sight at 1st level....every single fight.

I'll admit I stopped looking at the martial artist after that. I will go back and read the whole class, but if those are the kind of powers I'm going to be seeing I don't have a lot of hope for the book.

But hey, just because I find a part of a book I don't like, doesn't mean the rest of the book isn't good! So I read on. The troubador looks cool, but my eyes moved on to the savage warrior. I am playing a "barbarian" right now (fighter with some barbarianesque qualities) so I was itching to see this class.

Once again, the charge mechanic is a good innovation. The rest is...meh is the only thing I can say. Primal Resilience doesn't come close to making up for the loss of 3 or 4 AC in many cases (as neither dex nor int are prime stats) for barbarians. Fury looks neat, until you compare it to a fighter. As a fighter I get a +1 to attack rolls straight up. My fighter's AC is naturally higher all the time. The crit bump is the nicest part of the class, but eventually becomes overwritten by feats, magic items, and other crit enhancing abilities.

Further, the class doesn't feel like a defender to me. I only mark when a charge, so I don't mark on many encounter and daily abilities. I get a piece of a the fighter's defending ability, but don't get the stickiness.

And lastly I skimmed through the first few levels of powers. I like the at-wills for the most part, the encounter powers don't seem that great, and the dailies are just okay. I honestly think my dragonborn fighter seems to be a better barbarian than this class. I get better AC, reaping strike, big attacks all the time, my encounter powers do more damage, etc.

So I'm going to finish reading the rest of the book, and some of the other mechanics look interesting. I hope I find some other sections of the book that I do really like, we shall see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases