Another take on the Necromancer class

TheLordWinter

First Post
So I'd been intrigued by the Dark path for Warlocks featured in the Forgotten Realms' Player's Handbook, but felt it didn't quite go far enough in hurting players now for benefits later. While I understand its somewhat antithetical to 4e's design philosophy, it was a mechanic I'd always thought was rather interesting. I decided the necromancer would be the epitome of this type of design and searched the boards to see if someone had updated the class for fourth edition. While intrigued by the necromancer that Pyrogod had designed (http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...8-update-necromancer-class-work-progress.html) I found that it felt a bit minion heavy for me.

I longed for the types of necromancers from 2nd edition AD&D, for whom an entire sourcebook was dedicated. And so, I did my best to create a necromancer who is terrifying on the battlefield, and whose abilities are alarming to allies, deeply disturbing to the party's paladin and a constant tactical choice for the player between hurting allies, hurting himself and when the right amount of each is required.

I'd love any feedback anyone would like to offer, and I should first warn that this class is currently unplaytested. It goes from levels 1 through 10, and features a few bonus feats and a new monster (usable by the class as a familiar).

I hope people enjoy it!

Attachments

• Necromancer [Heroic Tier].pdf
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,789
  • Necromancer Appendix.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,050

CrimsonHawk

First Post
This is an extremely interesting take on the necromancer. Arcane Leader? I did a double-take on that until I read the Manipulate Life power. Brilliant!

I've only done a cursory once-over of the document, but what I have seen, I really really like. I want to encourage you keep up the hard work you've put into this. I really like it and hope you'll see it all the way to 30th level with paragon paths.

Soel

First Post
This is a great take on the Necromancer! You've got some cool powers in there (especially the Vargouille one!)

I hope you finish, and look forward to more. Also can't wait for the paragon paths.

TheLordWinter

First Post
It's definitely my plan to do so. Woefully real world needs have taken precedence but the class is still cooking and I'll be updating it for Paragon level at some point and then for Epic.

Thank you for the interest though!

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Forgive me my fanboyishness, but this is a good class. Of course real-world takes precedence, so you make sure you take of that first. Just knowing you haven't forgotten is more than I can ask for. :)

modus666

First Post
request to use powers?

i am also working on a slightly more controller-flavored necromancer. to be honest most of the powers im using so far are re-flavored from existing material, but i like a lot of hte unique powers you came up with.

with your permission i'd like to modify a few of them to fit into the controller-flavored build im testing out. would you mind?

TheLordWinter

First Post
Sure thing, feel free to use and modify some of what I've created here. Eventually there'll be more levels worth of it, once I've got some more free time to write.

Fieari

Explorer
When you wrote in the flavor that someone would have to pay the price for another's healing, I was imagining abilities that would drain life from one target and give it to another. Some of the abilities do this, but not the basic one. Perhaps you can have the ability allow you to touch up to two creatures, and have the one spend a healing surge on behalf of the other, with the note that you may include yourself as one of the two targets.

This would also make the undead side effect meaningful, as you'd be able to weaken living targets if you maneuvered right. As it is, I see the weaken+damage thing as flavor only, as no one would do it voluntarily. (Unless they themselves were undead, and wanted to use it to damage others)

Remove ads