Sanctuary [Sci-Fi]

Teneb

Explorer
With Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica ending after this season, I was excited about this new series. After watching the pilot I'm left....underwhelmed. The visuals were nice but it didn't really "grab" me. I'll probably give it another episode or two, but thus far I'm not terribly impressed.

DonTadow

First Post
I was happy to see a new scifi show that wasn't ashamed to be scifi. I found the story highly predictable, yet i was highly entertained. I found the characters old and what I've seen before, yet I really liked them. I am trying to figure out why I liked this better than I've liked fringe (i do still like fringe). I think its because this felt sci fi. There was no pretense on a cop drama, or a soap opera within a sci fi show, it was just scifi.

I can certainly understand why some would walk away underwhelmed. I mean most of the plot I figured out after I saw the daughter for the first time. Hopefully the writing will get better.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I wasn't terribly impressed either. Yet another show with poor lighting. (Which I'm getting heartily sick and tired of. If I'm going to watch a show, I at least want to see what's going on!) and a villian who dies uttering some cryptic remark. It would have been much better if they'd just done it in an hour, as I found it dragging all too often. I did like the mother-daughter team, and the caveman, but not the 'new guy' so much. Might give it another go or two, not sure yet.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm hooked.

I suppose this was the series that SciFi was trying to get the rights to call it Urban Arcana, since so much of it is a natural fit.

Teneb

Explorer
Was ok, not great ... better than any of their 'original' movies.

Amen there. It's funny, because Fringe is the other show I was comparing this to as well; however I find I like Fringe a lot better. It strikes me as more atmospheric.

I agree that it was too long, I may have liked it more if it was an hour. I had a lot of trouble keeping focused on the show. My biggest complaint is that the the daughter just annoyed me. I'm not sure what her age is supposed to be, but she came across as a royally bratty 14 year old, which just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Again, I'll give it another go but I hope they hit their stride soon.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Amen there. It's funny, because Fringe is the other show I was comparing this to as well; however I find I like Fringe a lot better. It strikes me as more atmospheric.

I agree that it was too long, I may have liked it more if it was an hour. I had a lot of trouble keeping focused on the show. My biggest complaint is that the the daughter just annoyed me. I'm not sure what her age is supposed to be, but she came across as a royally bratty 14 year old, which just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Again, I'll give it another go but I hope they hit their stride soon.
Yeah. That whole age thing had me scratching my head. AT certainly looked old enough to be her mother to me. As for her being annoying... Let's see, this guy (who I can't hit when he's only ten feet away) just took my gun away from me, so I'll get that close to him again. What the heck is she doing with a gun in the first place?

Vocenoctum

First Post
I was happy to see a new scifi show that wasn't ashamed to be scifi. I found the story highly predictable, yet i was highly entertained. I found the characters old and what I've seen before, yet I really liked them. I am trying to figure out why I liked this better than I've liked fringe (i do still like fringe). I think its because this felt sci fi. There was no pretense on a cop drama, or a soap opera within a sci fi show, it was just scifi.

I think the difference was that Fringe has a premise that is entertaining, but the actors failed to deliver, whereas Sanctuary is light on the premise, but the effects and acting (IMO) worked better. Sure the daughter was bratty, but she was supposed to be. The drama was downplayed, whereas Fringe everything was overplayed and melodramatic.

I can certainly understand why some would walk away underwhelmed. I mean most of the plot I figured out after I saw the daughter for the first time. Hopefully the writing will get better.

Yeah, hopefully the premise expands. I'm not sure I'll remember it's on each week...

I was hoping/looking for a SU2 type show, so we can see how it flows. I have hopes for it, but not enough to rave. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases