D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Blackjack

First Post
the thing managed to get in several psychic attacks before the PC's even knew there was a combat going on!.
This was sucky for the characters, but fun for the players! Once the first person took damage from examining it, we started handling it gingerly (with gloves on), washing our hands, and otherwise taking these precautions... unaware that no, this was not some kind of poison going on. Once we realized, "Hey, wait! That thing is moving!" we rolled for initiative, sure, but it was neat having the characters' "hey, wait!" match that of the players'.

Spatula

Explorer
Perception skills were already very important in 3e. Combining the three skills (Search, Spot, Listen) into one and adding tracking to its game functions has just made it that much better - making Perception the most important 4e skill IMO. High Perception means not being surprised, being able to spot & attack hidden creatures, finding hidden treasure or clues, avoid traps & other concealed dangers, being able to track an adversary... all highly important abilities in the adventurer's line of work.

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Sounds very awesome, I may have to steal that doll for my own campaign. Would work perfectly with my Louisiana-Bayou centred, Voodoo-mixed-with-Devils/Demons setting.

garyh

First Post
Perception skills were already very important in 3e. Combining the four skills (Search, Spot, Listen, Sense Motive) into one and adding tracking to its game functions has just made it that much better - making Perception the most important 4e skill IMO. High Perception means not being surprised, being able to spot & attack hidden creatures, finding hidden treasure or clues, avoid traps & other concealed dangers, being able to track an adversary, knowing if this important figure is lying to you... all highly important abilities in the adventurer's line of work.

I Insight killed Sense Motive and took its stuff, not Perception. Nonetheless, Perception is a great skill.

In any case, I'm very interested to keep reading how this game goes!

Allanon

Explorer
Wow, this sounds like a veritable font of good ideas waiting to be stolen :)

One question though, after looking through the wiki and checking the posted characters, do you use a house rule for hitpoints? Because it seems like everyone doubled there starting hitpoints and then added their Con modifier. For example:

Dr. Elijah Caldwell
Ranger
Con 11 (+0 mod)
Toughness as feat (+5 hitpoints)
Ranger normal starting hitpoints - 12 + Con

The above should thus result in 17 Hitpoints. Instead according to his character sheet he has 28. Since the wiki doesn't mention this houserule I was curious if it was to compensate for the lack of a healer.

Anyways carry on everyone, hope you have fun!

Allanon

Explorer
Wow, thanks Hypersmurf... I totally read over the part where it mentioned score. I guess old habits die harder than I thought. Thanks again!

Aravis

First Post
Can't disagree with that!

Actually, my rogue was already in the water; the boat wasn't big enough for the whole group, and since he's a decent swimmer, he volunteered to swim along behind while tethered to the boat by a rope. The croc went for him first (though it missed with its bite).

Ahem! You seem to have forgotten that Toiva (the Paladin) jumped into the water to attack the Croc (while holding the side of the boat). Is that Drama enough for you?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let it be known that in this last game I did my best to label Cobalt with the nickname "Bait." He.. err.. vociferously objected.

I've just upgraded the wiki to a more graphical format, for anyone who cares about such things. I've also started the game writeups. I'll get several done before starting to post them as a story hour.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Let it be known that in this last game I did my best to label Cobalt with the nickname "Bait." He.. err.. vociferously objected.

I've just upgraded the wiki to a more graphical format, for anyone who cares about such things. I've also started the game writeups. I'll get several done before starting to post them as a story hour.

He just said the magic words, everyone. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases