AV: Double Sword: Light blade And Heavy blade?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The distinction becomes important for the Rogue with the Heavy Blade Opportunist feat, for example.

When an OA is provoked, can he use the Heavy Blade Opportunist feat with his double sword? He can, since it's a heavy blade. And can he use the Sly Flourish power as his OA? He can, since it's a light blade. But that only works if you read double sword to be simultaneously a heay blade and a light blade.

If you read it to be separately a heavy blade and a light blade, then he can use HBO with one end... but the feat allows him to use a power, and most of his powers require a light blade, which is the other end.

-Hyp.

Anguirus

First Post
Personally, I see no compelling flavor or mechanical reason for this weapon to be a light blade. I wonder what they were thinking.

Rechan

Adventurer
It's not really an issue to me. the superior weapon feat, in general, gives you +1 damage over an equivalent military weapon. The Double Sword does a d8 damage instead of the d6 of a short sword. It's right in line with where it should be.
The diff is that it's also a defensive weapon.

The double sword is, quite simply, better than the rapier. Because it has the same stats, but gives you a +1 to ac.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The distinction becomes important for the Rogue with the Heavy Blade Opportunist feat, for example.

When an OA is provoked, can he use the Heavy Blade Opportunist feat with his double sword? He can, since it's a heavy blade. And can he use the Sly Flourish power as his OA? He can, since it's a light blade. But that only works if you read double sword to be simultaneously a heay blade and a light blade.

If you read it to be separately a heavy blade and a light blade, then he can use HBO with one end... but the feat allows him to use a power, and most of his powers require a light blade, which is the other end.

And that's why I'm thinking it's supposed to be the latter. Sure, my bugbear rogue would looooooove to be known as Darth Kudruk, but I really don't think they meant for both ends to be both light and heavy blades.

Brad

personally I read it as the double sword is similtaneously a light and heavy blade. All feats, etc relevant to either work with this weapon, same as a khopesh is both an axe and a heavy blade. Both weapons have a comma between the 2 properties. IF the double sword said (as the damage is) "Heavy blade/light blade" then I would rule the either end being a different thing.

tiornys

Explorer
The diff is that it's also a defensive weapon.

The double sword is, quite simply, better than the rapier. Because it has the same stats, but gives you a +1 to ac.
It's not strictly better, as it occupies both hands. A rapier wielder has options that the double sword wielder does not, such as the ability to wield an implement, the ability to wield a different weapon (usually a dagger or shuriken), or the ability to use a shield.

t~

pemerton

Legend
It's not strictly better, as it occupies both hands. A rapier wielder has options that the double sword wielder does not, such as the ability to wield an implement, the ability to wield a different weapon (usually a dagger or shuriken), or the ability to use a shield.
True. But if not strictly better, I still worry that it's better.

Personally, I see no compelling flavor or mechanical reason for this weapon to be a light blade.
I agree. If I housefuled double swords to be Heavy Blades only, is there any balance or flavour implication that I'm missing?

Baumi

Adventurer
Just had a thought (that's rare ;) ) ... Now you can easily play Darth Maul, just take an infernal Warlock with a double-sword Pact Weapon (Pact Weapon has only to be a light Blade).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases