New Fighter Build: Shieldbearer

Big J Money

Adventurer
Why not a paragon path for the sword and board? I don't see the benefit of this being a new build. Maybe you could post what the purpose and design intent is for this before posting more rules?

andarilhor

First Post
I am revising the powers I already made to this build, and I am thinking in reducing this class feature to only rises the shield bonus to AC.

Guard Shield Fighter U2
At-Will ♦ Martial
Minor Action Melee
Requirement: You must be using a shield.
Target: one adjacent ally.
Effect: The target gains your shield bonus to his or her AC, and you loses any shield bonus you has until the end of your next turn.

sammy

First Post
Good utility power. Instead of a new type of fighter, just run with that idea. Powers that enhance what a fighter may already use is great.

How about one where a marked enemy that attacks an adjacent ally is redirected to the fighter? Or is partially blocked, yet the fighter takes "X" damage, possibly only base weapon damage, no bonuses to strength or such?

One power could also be about when a fighter charges and he uses his shield to help him attack. Basic melee attack, and a secondary attack, STR vs FORT. Hit means the target is knocked prone.

Sammy

andarilhor

First Post
Good utility power. Instead of a new type of fighter, just run with that idea. Powers that enhance what a fighter may already use is great.

How about one where a marked enemy that attacks an adjacent ally is redirected to the fighter? Or is partially blocked, yet the fighter takes "X" damage, possibly only base weapon damage, no bonuses to strength or such?

One power could also be about when a fighter charges and he uses his shield to help him attack. Basic melee attack, and a secondary attack, STR vs FORT. Hit means the target is knocked prone.

Sammy

Thanks! I pretend to keep the powers open enough so can be used by the sword & shield fighter and the shieldbearer.

About the redirected attacks: The Paladin has a similar power, and I don´t want to cross the boundaries.

I liked the attack power. I will develop something like that.

andarilhor

First Post
The Tortoise Technique Fighter U6 (or 10)
Daily ♦ Martial, Stance
Minor Action Personal

Requirement: Must be using a shield.
Effect: You and a adjacent ally gain resistance (Cons mod+shield bonus) all and are slowed.

Medusa´s Shield Fighter A15
Daily ♦ Martial
Immediate Interrupt :ranged: 5
Requirement: Must be using a shield.
Trigger: You are hit by a ranged attack.
Effect: You redirect the trigger attack to one enemy within the range. Use the same attack roll.

I am still in doubt about the level of this powers.

andarilhor

First Post
Shield Bash Fighter A1
"Using your shield as a weapon, you take one enemy away from one ally´s throat"
At-Will ♦ Martial
Standard Action :melee:1
Target:
one enemy
Requirement: you must be using a shield
Attack: Str vs Fort
Hit: You slide the target 1■, keeping him or her adjacent to you, and one ally originally adjacent to you or to the target gains a +2 bonus to AC against all the targets attacks until the end of your next turn.

Unbalancing Charge Fighter A3
"Your charge makes your opponent stumble and became open to your allies attacks"
Encounter ♦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action :melee:weapon
Target:
one enemy
Requirement: You must charge as part of this attack.
Attack: Str vs Fort
Hit: 1W+Str mod, and the target is pushed 3■s.
Special: If you are using a shield, the target also gives combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Rafe

First Post
I like the new powers but, as others have said, as far as a new build goes, I would just add something to Fighter Weapon Talent. For instance, you can choose shield instead of a one-handed or two-handed weapon for the bonus, and it applies to your AC (not AC and Reflex, though). So someone can take Fighter Weapon Talent (Shields) and then pick some of your new powers.

It's also a good idea to pursue that Shieldbearer concept into a Paragon Path. I think it would be interesting to have, maybe, an Armiger paragon path. (Yeah, stealing the name from Iron Heroes, but it works.) Or call it Steel Defender or something.

Regardless, I think you're on the right track with new powers and a paragon path option for a "tank" would be great.

andarilhor

First Post
I like the new powers but, as others have said, as far as a new build goes, I would just add something to Fighter Weapon Talent. For instance, you can choose shield instead of a one-handed or two-handed weapon for the bonus, and it applies to your AC (not AC and Reflex, though). So someone can take Fighter Weapon Talent (Shields) and then pick some of your new powers.

As I said before, I want this powers to be open enough to any kind of Sword and Shield Fighter.

I am thinking in giving the shieldbearer a raise in shield bonus to AC instead of +1 to AC and Reflex. That way he only gains onde +1, but this +1 will have impact on the shield powers I am designing.

It's also a good idea to pursue that Shieldbearer concept into a Paragon Path. I think it would be interesting to have, maybe, an Armiger paragon path. (Yeah, stealing the name from Iron Heroes, but it works.) Or call it Steel Defender or something.

I pretend to take a look on the armiger and the warmain for ideas of powers of this build, and maybe a do one or two paragon paths.

Regardless, I think you're on the right track with new powers and a paragon path option for a "tank" would be great.

Thanks, any feedback about the specifics powers will be helpful.
I will be posting the new version of Shieldbearer´s Lure tonight to be compared.

Remove ads