Iaijutsu Master Questions (Monk side note questions)

Chronoglenn

First Post
Well, I'm considering starting a game with friends, and I'm deciding between Iaijutsu Master and Monk, leaning towards the Iaijutsu master...

So, I know the basics of playing him, basically keep sword sheathed at all times, and it should be fun, however how do I get to him?! The only way I really saw was using the OA Samurai since the new Samurai I've heard was crappy, plus doesn't have Iaijutsu Focus.

So... Any tips on how to build the character necessary? Or possibly feat selection?

On a side note, I might try playing a monk for the first time ever. If I want to cheese him obviously take Vow of Poverty, but any PrC or feats that make a nice monk?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If this is the 3.0 oriental adventures iaijutsu master, you and your DM need to be aware that it can be horrendously broken, with that 'iaijutsu focus' damage bonus!

Cheers

Chronoglenn

First Post
Yea, but that damage bonus only applies to the first round of combat, whereas rogues can do the same amount of damage from sneak attacks every single round.

If you do the math, at level 11, a IM can only do a maximum additional 6d6 damage on the first initial attack (roll 20 + 14 ranks + 4 charisma) since this only applies to drawing and striking with the weapon.

A rogue on the other hand can sneak attack for an additional 6d6 every single round @_@

I've seen the "IMs are broken because they get that initial attack!" but honestly I've never understood it when looking at even the core classes :/

Anyways, I'm not playing it to be broken, I could go into further how the IM isn't broken and possibly gimped but I don't think anyone cares so... any tips or other paths other than the OA samurai?

Plane Sailing

I allowed one in my campaign, and although the chap was no min-maxer, it was still horrendous.

Iaijutsu focus in itself doesn't sound so bad - but when you include the 5th level iaijutsu master ability "Strike from the void" which adds Cha modifier to each extra damage die gained from iaijutsu focus skill you can imagine how broken it can get.

Iaijutsu masters will probably want a good Charisma anyway, because it is the ability which supports Iaijutsu focus and they get to add it to their Initiative check too.

So an 11th level PC with 14 ranks in IF, 18 Cha and a +6 Cha item (total Cha bonus +7) will be rolling 1d20+21 for his IF check, getting 22-41. Say he averages 32, which is +5d6 extra damage, +35 from "strike from the void".

A first strike which does 5d6+35 damage on top of the normal weapon damage is pretty scary.

A heavily optimised PC can get very, very scary.

Cheers

Chronoglenn

First Post
Yes, you're right, I completely missed that @_@ Having never played one I initially read that as just to the damage. So I can see how the initial attack definitely is powerful @_@

Before level 11 though it's not bad, and I was mostly wanting to play simply as a flavorful character, almost a Kenshin type character ^_^

Maybe I could talk to the DM and simply remove that ability, or change it to how it was when I initially read it, then the damage wouldn't be so game breaking.... I don't know I'll talk to my DM about it I suppose.

Anyways, as I asked, any other ways to make the character other than OA Samurai, if I want to become a IM at the earliest opportunity (Samurai allows first Iaijutsu Master level to be taken at 7)

Plane Sailing

In my campaign I changed it to just add the Cha bonus once to the damage in an iaijutsu focus strike - still rough, but not nearly as bad.

Cheers

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First of all, don't forget to check out the changes to the Samurai class in Dragon #318.

Second, I love monks, but even I'll admit there really isn't any way to make them into Über Combat Death Masters in 3.X. That doesn't mean they can't be fun, though.

Depending upon which sources you use, they can use FoB with reach- or even any- weapon, or can use their unarmed strikes at range. Some builds have interesting multiclass options- indeed, the OA Monk may freely multiclass like any other base class. Some PrCls can give some pretty fierce special abilities, like adding Wis bonuses to Att & Damage (Shiba Defender), or FoB with any weapon + armor use (Shou Disciple).

There are even monk-like base classes that may be more to your liking- the OA Shaman and Sohei (again, check out Dragon #318) and the Battle Dancer from DCv1 spring to mind.

For more in depth monk info, check the link in my sig.

Drowbane

First Post
Iaijutsu Master does well to convey the "Kenshin-style" anime samurai.

Yea, but that damage bonus only applies to the first round of combat, whereas rogues can do the same amount of damage from sneak attacks every single round.
Myth Busted! [sblock]
edit: my build at lvl 20

Warblade 7 / Iaijutsu Master 5 / Master of Nine 5 / Warblade 3

important feats:

Cosmopolitan (FRCS): choose any non-exclusive skill. It is now a class skill, gain +2 with this skill.

(only use if starting before lvl 12) Karmic Strike (OA): take a -4 to your AC, you gain an AoO everytime someone hits you.

lvl 12 - Robilar's Gambit (PHB II): foe gets +4 to hit and dmg against you, but then he provokes a special AoO from you (special in that it happens after he hits, instead of interrupting the attack).

Mercurial Strike (Dragon Compendium vol 1): if foe provokes AoO, you may draw a weapon and attack - catching foe flat-footed.

Flick of the Wrist (complete warrior): draw a light weapon and attack, catch foe flat-footed for attack (once per encounter per foe)

School of choice: Diamond Mind...

Sapphire Nightmare Strike (Bo9S): lvl 1 manuever. Standard action to attack and catch foe flat-footed.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Chronoglenn

First Post
Yea I heard they revised a lot of the OA stuff in a dragon magazine... however I don't have that as a resource and was also told the Iaijutsu Master was left unchanged. :(

So any feats that allow skills to be class skills for any class? Cosmopolitan is one right? Are there any others in case a DM rules against a certain book?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases