Is switching hands a free action?

Yair

Community Supporter
I'm thinking of ruling that switching hands (moving a small object from one hand to the other) is a Free Action. This is risky, however, so I want your advice.

The item in question is a dagger. The idea is that by holding two daggers, you can throw the first and later draw the one in your off-hand as a free-action, instead of the minor-action it takes to draw it from the scabbard. If you're wondering why the character doesn't just throw the dagger with the other hand - that's because a shield (bracer? forgot the name for that tiny shield) is attached to it, so he can't attack with the weapon held by that hand.

This will basically allow the character to draw a dagger as a free action once per encounter, or something like that. Not a major thing, but stepping on the Quick Draw feat slightly.

Opinions?

James McMurray

First Post
Sounds fine to me. The FAQ says that changing how many hands you're holding a versatile weapon with is a free action, so grabbing a dagger with two hands should also be free, as would letting go with one of them. So perhaps technically it would be two free actions, but I don't know of a circumstance where that would matter.

Dalzig

First Post
The rules are silent on this issue, so...

My first idea is that it should be a free action, but only when not actively attacking/defending. Thus, I would rule that it provokes an OA.

My second idea is that I really don't want to mess with that OA, so it just becomes a free action.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That last FAQ entry looks fairly recent. Good thing, it answers one of the questions I had about the swordmage.

But I don't think it is needed for the dagger. There are several work-arounds for this already in the game. Quick draw which is supposed to cover this, as you noted. But also, magic daggers automagicaly come back into the hand of whoever threw after an attack, completely bypassing both quick draw and the need to hold a second dagger.

It is either a feat (that can be retrained later I might add) or 360g to get rid of the minor action to draw. If they plan on using daggers to any significant extent, they are going to eventually have a magic dagger anyway.

Starfox

Adventurer
There is a rule that says you can automatically draw a new weapon to replace one that you've thrown as a free action. so no Quick-Draw required.

Also, this just came up. This might lead to some changes in the Swordmage. Not exactly what the OP was asking, but pretty close

Ask Wizards: 10/08/2008

Q: I wield a longsword. When I change from one hand to two (or vice versa), what type of action is that?

A: Changing the number of hands you are using to hold a weapon can be done as a free action.

Last edited:

Dalzig

First Post
Do you have a page reference for that?

-Hyp.

Starfox was probably referring to PHB 217: "Load: .... If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power."

This actually doesn't apply to thrown weapons by RAW, but I allow it to apply. To me, there's little difference between loading and firing a crossbow nine times in six seconds and drawing and throwing 9 knives in six seconds. In fact, if we went hyper-realistic, crossbow users would be screwed.

Edit: Then again, on the same page, "Light Thrown: ...but some powers let you hurl several of
them at once or in rapid succession." This seems to point out that they intended to let this apply to thrown weapons. Otherwise, Quickdraw becomes a "feat tax" to use those powers (such as Blinding Barrage, Rogue 1), which is one of those "taboo design" things.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases