Is switching hands a free action?

Mahali

Explorer
While it's true that there's a fuzzy line that can be crossed when you're performing /many/ free actions, two isn't many.

And I think two of the opposite actions; is.

Remember, your round takes place over 6 seconds, the same 6 seconds everyone elses does. In effect, you're saying every time they use their sword (multiple swings/blocks per 6 seconds represented by one attack) they switch their grip.

inati

First Post
When it comes to Swordmages and switching hands with versatile weapons, we are ultimately talking about an increase of Swordmage damage output of 1 point vs the Swordmage swinging the weapon one handed.

Is this overpowered? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I would imagine the WotC people feel the same way, otherwise why would they have this switching hands thing as a free action in the FAQ?

Of course, DMs can impose additional conditions at their tables regarding this, but the fact remains, we are talking about 1 single freaking point of damage. If it means the difference between a Swordmage player having a fun time at the table, or spending the evening brooding or upset about the DM's ruling, I would let the Swordmage have that extra single point of damage.

P.S. - I realize some people will want to point out the AC difference derived from the Swordmage Warding class feature. If rulings are made to make switching hands a chore or even a nuisance, the player will simply swing his weapon as one handed by default instead, thus making the point moot.

keterys

First Post
Is this overpowered? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

No more overpowered than it would be to say that rogues deal +1 damage with daggers or that wands or fire spells deal +1 damage.

Not exactly going to break anyone's games, but still something that should be spelled out clearly if they're true ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases