Challenge the Players, Not the Characters' Stats

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
i was reading a post over on GROGNARDIA i believe, and came across this (cut and pasted from a larger post):

"The crux of it, though, is this: challenge the player, not the character's stats. That's probably the single most important difference between old school and contemporary roleplaying games. I think that it's at the root of why most old schoolers have an instinctive hatred of skill systems in RPGs. Skill systems often imply not just what your character can do but also what he knows. That creates both a powerful separation between player and character knowledge but also creates the expectation that a character's knowledge ought to be able to give the player the solutions needed to solve in-game puzzles, tricks, traps, etc."

that one section "challenge the player, not the character's stats" sums it up for me in terms of what i like about older style play over the new systems which, with a rule for everything, makes it harder to do so.

that's also my answer to the thread which asks what is missing in 4e, or the thread asking if someone would play 4e if necro games managed to bring a 1e feel to it. if someone could make 4e into a game where player skill counted for far far more than character stats and abilities, then yes, i would play and like 4e.

as it is now, my group plays a heavily houseruled version of 3.0, not even 3.5, which makes 3.0 more like 1e.

anyhow my 2 cents. i have never seen a statement which so clearly articulated my position on the differences between the editions that the one i quoted above. i thought it might make for interesting discussion.

this blog posting lead to an interesting discussion within my gaming group, and i thought it might do so here as well. please no edition flame wars.

the esact link to the blog/article is here:

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2008/04/gygaxian.html

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

First Post
I don't think that quote works at all.

4E is about challenging the player's skills. After all, isn't one of the most widespread sentiments about 4E that it is more tactical, and that it punishes bad tactics and rewards good tactics much more than previous editions?

Certainly, the exact quote you refer to is much more a criticism of 3E's "everything is covered by its own skill" mentality, than it is a criticism of 4E. After all, 4E doesn't have a rule and skill for everything, and it is much more reliant on compromise and interaction between DMs and Players in that regard.

Honestly, I don't think there is such a simple way to explain the differences between different editions, and looking for an single, easily identified "root problem" is nothing more than a wild goose chase. The differences between editions are far too complex for that.

malraux

First Post
Doesn't player skill affect how well you use your character's skills? Certainly screwing up the usage of your character's abilities will hurt you in any game I've played or run.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
It's a good definition and distinction. It's the primary reason I dislike old school gaming and grognards in general; to me, it's a limiting factor in what I can do. I play a game to be something or someone better than myself; smarter, stronger, or more charismatic, etc. In other words, to possess abilities that I do not.

To me, 'challenge the players' just sounds like legitimized metagaming, or as was so often the case, an exercise in frustration.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
I would prefer to have my analytical skills challenged that just compare numbers on a page and some dice. While you can't lift things for your character, you do all the thinking for them.

I think that quote nails it, and the ages of gaming can be equated to just that. Do the players want to be challenged, or want their playing piece tasked for the job at hand?

To me that is what the roleplaying is all about. Combat is where you get to chuck the dice, or draw chits.

The Little Raven

First Post
If the entire focus of a challenge is on challenging the player, what is the point of having a character at all? If switching from one character to another has no appreciable difference in the encounters, as all encounters will be directed towards Brendan and not Kelleshan or Arqos or any of my characters, then what's the point in making a character?

justanobody

Banned
Banned
If the entire focus of a challenge is on challenging the player, what is the point of having a character at all? If switching from one character to another has no appreciable difference in the encounters, as all encounters will be directed towards Brendan and not Kelleshan or Arqos or any of my characters, then what's the point in making a character?

Because you [Brendan] cannot lift the imaginary portcullis, and run down the imaginary corridor to fight the imaginary dragon at the end. Argos can. BUT, Argos does exactly what you can think for him to do. Does he lift the portcullis, or find another way? Does he run down the corridor or sneak down it, or look for a secret passage around the dragon to the treasure? Argos cannot decide these things for himself, the player must decide for him.

So no matter what, you are always and only every truly challenging the player unless you leave the entire game to random chance and a roll of the dice.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I don't think "challenge the players" works. Basketball and Chess challenge players. That's not what distinguishes O/AD&D from 4E. However I will add a little information to the mix.

Role play is something pretty much all kids do. It's an instinctual form of play that develops cognitive skills related to developing a strong theory of mind and useful social negotiation skills. Even once skills are fully developed the simple pleasure of role play remains with many people into adulthood.

It's like tag and basketball in that way. We engage in physical play as children to develop our neuromuscular system but it's still fun when we're all grown up.

You know who knew that? John Eric Holmes. The guy who wrote the D&D Basic Set. Also known as (trivia points!) Dr. John Eric Holmes, Associate Professor of Neurology at the University of Southern California School of Medicine. That's right, old school D&D was written by a guy with a M.D. in Neurology with published papers on what role play is, how we do it, and what makes it fun.

Monte and Mearls are smart guys, but they aren't published neuroscientists.

I am not a neuroscientist either, so I'm not going to sit here and "explain" how or why old school D&D is better. I don't fully understand it myself. But it was heavily influenced by a guy who really, really knew (far vigorously than I probably ever will) what a roleplaying game is, and needs to be, and (more importantly) what it should not be.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
That is all fine and dandy until your DM introduces a puzzle.

Sure you can think for your character and tell him to go left or right, jump over that pit or raise that portcullis. But as soon as your Wizard has Genius level intelligence, and you do not, the limitation of that play style shows how lacking it can be.

Psion

Adventurer
I think you should challenge the players AND the characters.

A major part of the enjoyment of RPGs AFAIAC is the "enabling fantasy" aspect. We* play heroic characters in RPGs in part because they do things we can't do that we find interesting or cool. It defines why you want to be a particular character class/skillset. You play a magic-user/wizard/etc., because you think casting spells is cool/enabling. You play a thief/rogue because you think skulking about is cool/enabling, etc.

* - We in this case representing a significant subset of the RPG hobby.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases