Challenge the Players, Not the Characters' Stats

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yes. Thank you for the direct reply this time. Almost all the time I will choose (a). Presumably other members of the party tell Verys as soon as he wakes up, anyway.

One of the other PCs was in a different room, you were unconscious, and the one who saw him change is the one he just killed.

So every player at the table knows the PC is a doppelganger, but none of the characters do.

-Hyp.

Delta

First Post
One of the other PCs was in a different room, you were unconscious, and the one who saw him change is the one he just killed.

So every player at the table knows the PC is a doppelganger, but none of the characters do.

Are you asking me a question? Has this ever happened in your games? If I present what I would do in this hypothetical situation will you be satisfied, or will there be more scenarios I get quizzed on after that?

I'll be frank: You pick on a lot of people with this nonstop Socratic grilling. If you're interested in a mutual give-and-take I'd be happy to cooperate. But I don't think anything I say is going to change your gaming habits. If you've chosen me to target in this thread I would just as soon skip it; it's upsetting after a few cycles.

Last edited:

Fenes

First Post
Are you asking me a question? Has this ever happened in your games? If I present what I would do in this hypothetical situation will you be satisfied, or will there be more scenarios I get quizzed on after that?

I'll be frank: You pick on a lot of people with this nonstop Socratic grilling. If you're interested in a mutual give-and-take I'd be happy to cooperate. But I don't think anything I say is going to change your gaming habits. If you've chosen me to target in this thread I would just as soon skip it; it's upsetting after a few cycles.

Not a hypothetical question, an example from my last session: As a DM, I have a disguised Erinnyes approach a PC and apply a charm spell on him (Will Save failed). I explain to him that his PC now sees the NPC as his best friend. But he doesn't see through the disguise, nor does any other PC see through it, nor is there any action that would appear suspect - the spy is acting nicely for starters. All the players, however, know that it's a spy, and that it is the erinnyes.

How do you handle this?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Has this ever happened in your games?

The exact situation with the doppelganger and the unconscious player? Never.

A situation where a player is privy to knowledge his character has no way of being aware of? All the time.

From the thief PC who pockets a gem out of sight of the rest of the party, to the invisible PC who gets knocked unconscious-and-dying, to the blinded PC who wants to place a spell in that group of enemies over there, to the scout who gets in trouble where the other PCs can't see him, to the player who's accidentally read spoilers for a module online, to the player who recognises a magic item or monster from the manuals that is unfamiliar to the PCs, to the player who rolls a failed Will save or Spot check... there are countless situations where the player can learn something that his PC does not know about.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

IceFractal

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
As for the puzzle the DM handed you, please don't take it literally. It's an abstract representation of the puzzle your 18 Int character is actually solving. The real puzzle is much harder, but the DM has scaled it down for you to present an equivalent level of difficulty.
I use this solution all the time, and it explains quite a few things.

Did you really think the Doomsday Scrolls would be sealed with a simple logic puzzle? Of course not, it's actually a multi-dimensional locking mechanism that requires advanced spatial knowledge to even perceive correctly. But since Bob's character is a meta-genius, he explains the essence of it and you get to solve this small puzzle instead.

Your arguments were good, but not "professional negotiator" quality - and even that probably wouldn't be enough to convince the high council to do what you're asking. But luckily, your character is a master of diplomacy, so let's assume that this 10-minute negotiation represented hours of expert wheeling and dealing.

"Not having to be your character" doesn't need to mean "not doing anything but rolling". And IMO, it'd be pretty dull if it did.

IceFractal

First Post
My experience, and I suspect that of GROGNARDIA, with 4e is that the tactical combat doesn't really take much player skill. If there is no skill required for combat, and now no dungeon navigation skill required, there is little skill left.
I would say it has equal or greater tactical skill - picking what to do within a combat, but less "strategic" skill - picking how and when to enter combat.

In some cases, there's a direct trade-off. For example:
* Buffing Spells: If they last a while and take an action to cast (3E style), then there's more strategy in scouting and knowing about a fight ahead of time. If they're one-round boosts (4E style), then there's more tactics in deciding exactly when to use them.
* Deadlyness: If a battle can be over in a few rounds, then getting there's more strategy in getting the jump on your foes and establishing an initial advantage. If battle always takes a while, there's more time to use multi-round tactics.

Is that a feature or a downside? Depends on the group.

Here is difference that causes the argument.

In a 4e adventure against the suggested ELs, you can expect that you'll survive anything you encounter. Sure there is the supposed "tactical play", but my experience with the game has been that its really easy to choose actions that win the battle. If you accidentally do some boneheaded things, you can change tactics and win, but you'll end up resting earlier. In that way the tactical play doesn't actually change the long term results.

In a 1e adventure, if you do something stupid, you're dead. If you try and explore every room the dungeon, you're dead. If you often leap before you look, you're dead. The best way to survive 1e adventures is lots of caution, divination, henchmen, listening at doors, sending in henchmen, and so on. Luck is also very helpful. How to survive is not spelled out to you on your character sheet. You have to use your player skill to figure out a strategy to navigate the dungeon.
Death is just one consequence of failure. Having to rest early because of bad tactics is another type of failure.

If you use Death too often, it cheapens its meaning. Easy Deaths is what made spells like Raise Dead so important over the editions. It turned character death just in another type of "rest early". (Sometimes "rest early to prepare the Raise Dead spell", sometimes "let's get home so we find another trustworthy-enough looking fellow".

You might say "resting early" is not a real failure, because the consequences for the player are minimal. But so is the death of a character. You just wait for the raise dead or roll up a new character. You can still continue playing the game (and this might be one of the bigger differences to other games - losing doesn't mean you have to stop playing.), you're just using a changed or different game piece.

Bad decisions can lead to earlier rest, it can lead to another complication, it can lead to a failure in an character/adventure goal, or it can lead to death.
All these are valid failures. An EL = PL encounter in 3E or its 4E equivalent is the kind of encounter where bad decisions should lead to an earlier rest. It is a failure because the players notice that they screwed up and that they have to do better. Of course, if they even lose a PC, they will know that they screwed up even worse ;), but that's not a requirement to make the player aware of failure or success.

xechnao

First Post
it is a little too abstract to differentiate RPGing from other games, from pleasant conversation, from argument etc.

This is why I said through the PCs. PCs are a contract you make with the rest of the group that connect you with a standard that is crucial for the roleplaying game. Important thing is that this standard works which means that the group can connect with it.

There are all sorts of ways I can influence the shared understanding of the players of an RPG other than by calling actions for my PC. As one example, I can give another player a suggestion as to what her/his PC might do.
But that would be out of contract, out of the roleplaying experience.

MrMyth

First Post
Probably the default assumption of 4th edition that you don't need to play through a skill challenge, but can just roll the dice through it, and then IF every party member fails you would need to worry with thinking through it.

I'd say that is a pretty faulty assumption! The entire point of a skill challenge is to have a situation you can resolve in a fast-paced, dynamic fashion, with characters trying different things to accomplish their goal, and the DM deciding what skill and DC and effect each attempt involves.

Now, yes, you can just have folks choose their best skill and roll some checks. But I don't think that is by any means the ideal of how the system is supposed to work.

Why should the DM ever describe a challenge, when all you need is some number to combare a series of die rolls to?

...because describing a challenge and making it interesting and exciting is one of the highlights of the game?

You could just as easily ask why players, in a free form situation resolved by RP instead of dice, should ever bother to come up with creative answers or actions, when the DM is going to decide whether they win or lose based on his own judgement anyway?

How much of 4th now can be done by JUST rolling dice?

But the complaint being made here isn't that 4E has the option of rolling dice for success - you seem to be saying it forces that upon people. Which is simply absurd - you can just as easily run a puzzle or roleplaying encounter without ever involving the dice. The success of the puzzle would come down to how smart and creative the players are, the success of some diplomatic negotiations would come down to how smooth-talking the players are. If that is what your group finds best, it is 100% supported by the 4E rules system.

And if your players instead want to check and see if their characters have ancient knowledge to help them solve a puzzle, or can make diplomacy checks to resolve the situation instead, 4E also supports that.

Are you saying that your desire is to remove the skill system from D&D entirely? To make it so that the only knowledge a character has is what knowledge the player has? To ensure that the smooth-talking player of a Charisma 6 dwarven barbarian is a far more successful negotiator than the socially-awkward player of a Charisma 20 elven paladin?

I'm not saying that is inherently wrong - if a group wants to emphasize more on player skills, that is just fine. But you seem to be suggesting the system should enforce that, instead of allowing each group to determine what option works best for them.

While it may be better to have story related puzzles, there is nothing that says you can't have logic puzzles to challenge the player int he game and have them somehow be something else in the story, or even the exact same logic puzzle in the game.

Again, 4E has no problems with this view. The section on puzzles is right next to the section on skill challenges in the DMG! And while a smaller section, it covers everything that needs to be covered and gives valuable advice for running such events.

4th edition relies heavily on stat management and dice rolling to make the game easier and more streamlined. It doesn't mean you cannot include the other things, but they are not given to the players as option for those new to the game are they?

How are they possible not given as an option to the players? If a DM has a door with a riddle to open it, and one of the players figures out the riddle, do the rules at any point say that the player has to roll a die to figure out the riddle? Do they say that if he does not do so, but solves the riddle by looking at it carefully, he is somehow not allowed to use that information in the game? I see absolutely nothing that says this, nor even implies this. And, as mentioned above, the DMG even includes an entire section on puzzles that outright says otherwise.

What are the rules in the PHB for skill challenges? What is in the PHB are the player expectations, and what is in the DMG is where a disconnect can happen if the same type of information is not given to both. The DM could likely forget the PHB doesn't explain as much about the game as the DMG does.

The PHB has no rules for skill challenges, just a few brief mentions of them. What is has is a section on skills, and what they can be used for. What it has is an opening chapter that talks about the roleplaying nature of the game, with quotes like: "You have almost limitless control over what your character can do and say in the game."

Indeed, the first 'mention' of skill challenges in the PHB is in the initial mention of non-combat encounters: "Sometimes you overcome noncombat encounters by using your character’s skills, sometimes you can defeat them with clever uses of magic, and sometimes you have to puzzle them out with nothing but your wits."

So, given that players are told, right off the bat, that they can solve problems through skills or creativity or player intelligence, I'd say there is nothing about the system that prevents a DM from running puzzles and creating obstacles that challenge player skill rather than character skill.

If I am playing and given a puzzle to solve, and want to actually solve it and another player rolls some dice to get us past it, without letting me enjoy solving the puzzle, I will get up and leave the game not to return. They can do thing they normally couldn't but not at the expense of other players enjoyment of the game.

Then I'd say that group has a significant disconnect in what players want out of the game. Some players will want to be able to use character knowledge to help them get past an especially challenging puzzle, particularly one that might occupy them for a large amount of time without any success at solving it. Other players might live for such challenges.

If you have a group that has players interested in different things, that doesn't mean one player's area of enjoyment is wrong - it just means that either the DM needs to be more careful about what puzzles he puts in the game, or one of the two needs to find a group more suited to their style of play. Honestly, 4E indicates that your style of puzzle-solving is more of the default - it recommends only allowing skill checks to gain hints, and only when the players are having trouble solving it. While it does have a section on solving puzzles entirely through skill challenges, thats the optional system, not the default one.

In the end, given that 4E allows for a campaign to be run that suits each player, I'd certainly say you can't place the failing on the system. Or rather, you can, but only by saying that the other players idea of fun is incorrect and that the system shouldn't allow for it - which is simply an absurd point of view, and one that game design is better off without.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Where do you get this from?

That is great for the DM as it is the DMG they would most often read. How about the players and something from the PHB?

Whatever the details of a skill challenge, the basic structure of a skill challenge is straightforward. Your goal is to accumulate a specific number of victories (usually in the form of successful skill checks) before you get too many defeats (failed checks). It’s up to you to think of ways you can use your skills to meet the challenges you face.

Basically comparing some die roll to a table is all you need to do and succeed the correct number of times for these challenges. That is just challenging random chance and the character stats.

I could just draw for high card from a poker deck against the DM if that is all I wanted from an in game challenge.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases