Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, and Song - available at RPGNow.com

Jack99

Adventurer
Hmm..

Anyone who has it already can maybe answer a question. It says 4e (GSL), but I thought it wouldn't be possible to call a druid a druid and a monk a monk under the GSL?

I am asking because after buying their "4e" DCC products, which aren't really 4e, I think I am going to stay away from such products. They didn't really impress me with the way they did things.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hmm..

Anyone who has it already can maybe answer a question. It says 4e (GSL), but I thought it wouldn't be possible to call a druid a druid and a monk a monk under the GSL?

It's possible while Wizards haven't released a Druid or a Monk in the 4e SRD. ;) After that, the license is a little unclear.

Cheers!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

My understanding is that Druid is not a defined term in the 4E SRD, and so you can use it however you like.

But... if Druid is added as a defined term in the 4E SRD, then you can no longer sell product which alters WotC's definition of the term.

Given that we have a preview of the Barbarian from PHB2, it seems to me that gambling that Barbarian won't be added to the SRD is a poor bet.

But maybe a/ they're gambling they'll sell enough copies before the SRD changes to be worthwhile, or b/ WotC won't enforce the retroactive clause, or c/ they have a loophole, or d/ I haven't understood the GSL correctly - which is entirely possible!

-Hyp.

EP

First Post
Is it for sale in print? If not, then they'll likely pull it once those other classes are added to the official list and PHB2 comes out.

davethegame

Explorer
I'm working on my review now- I received an early review PDF from Goodman Games. Hoping to have the review up tomorrow.

To answer a few questions, it is GSL. It'll be in print in a few weeks. It does use the "real" names. My impression is that it has a really neat hook for including these classes in your game, but the classes themselves seem a bit more complex than the versions in APG.

I wonder why they left the barbarian out of the subtitle?

Not that I mind - I hate that 3.0 splatbook naming convention.

The barbarian and the druid really can both be classified under "fang." We had a lot of debate about the title and went through multiple different incarnations, but we eventually settled on this one.

Is it for sale in print? If not, then they'll likely pull it once those other classes are added to the official list and PHB2 comes out.

It will be for sale in print. I spoke explicitly with the guys at Wizards about this and left with the impressions that any material put out before a term is defined in WotC cannot be considered to conflict with that term. It's hazy and I guess it's possible that this could change, but they indicated that we had nothing to worry about creating our own druid before Wizards created their version. No one can predict what concepts are going to appear in books in the future, so there cannot (or at least most likely won't be) be after the fact copyright infringement. Ari was smart in his approach with the APG, giving things similar but alternate names, but we're hoping our approach will help FH.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases