4e DCCs from Goodman Games - Forked Thread: Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, & Song

catsclaw227

First Post
Jack99 said:
I am asking because after buying their "4e" DCC products, which aren't really 4e, I think I am going to stay away from such products. They didn't really impress me with the way they did things.

Who has played these out and how did they compare with WOTC print publications, Dungeon adventures or even the 3.5 DCCs? I have a few of them in my rpgnow.com shopping cart, but wanted to get some reviews before I pull the trigger.

Anyone have any experience they would like to share?

Forked from: Forgotten Heroes: Fang, Fist, and Song - available at RPGNow.com

Jack99

Adventurer
I feel I should clarify, as I am being quoted, but it's late over here, and I am really tired.

So in short, I will say that it is not that the quality itself is bad (I guess especially adventures are very much subject to taste - what one person might like, another could hate) and the editing is good enough.

No, it's rather the hoop-jumping that they have had to do in order for the adventures to be 4e compatible, while not using the GSL. All the weird abbreviations and changing of names, it really annoyed me when I read through the adventures. More than I ever thought it would. I really liked the DCC line, so I am hoping they will go with the GSL.

Cheers

thundershot

Adventurer
I have the 4E-but-not-4E DCC books, and while I mostly just skimmed them, they didn't seem that much different from what WOTC is is putting out. If the actual 4E ones don't have stat blocks in the adventure, forget it...

catsclaw227

First Post
I have the 4E-but-not-4E DCC books, and while I mostly just skimmed them, they didn't seem that much different from what WOTC is is putting out. If the actual 4E ones don't have stat blocks in the adventure, forget it...
I see. I guess I'll have to download a PDF and see for myself.

catsclaw227

First Post
So in short, I will say that it is not that the quality itself is bad (I guess especially adventures are very much subject to taste - what one person might like, another could hate) and the editing is good enough.

No, it's rather the hoop-jumping that they have had to do in order for the adventures to be 4e compatible, while not using the GSL. All the weird abbreviations and changing of names, it really annoyed me when I read through the adventures. More than I ever thought it would. I really liked the DCC line, so I am hoping they will go with the GSL.
Thanks for the clarification Jack99, it makes more sense now in light of your opinions about 4e. :) They are very similar to mine, so that's why i forked this thread out to get some more thoughts from other 4e gamers, especially those that liked the 3.x DCCs.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I bought a few 3.5e DCC adventures in my day and overall, I enjoyed them, so I was looking forward to their first 4e offerings. I bought DCC 53 Sellswords of Punjar and I only got half way through it before I set it aside out of boredom. I too was annoyed by the terminology changes (which was weird since some things were changed and others were not), but what I didn't like were some of the subtler things missing from the adventure. For one, I thought that the traps were extremely boring, I didn't see many (if any at all) references to difficult terrain, too many of the encounters IMO depended on a single opponent, the lack of skill challenges etc. I'm going to hold off on the next few couple of DCCs, but hopefully, once they get under the GSL and get more system familiarity, I'll start buying again.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Wow, I loved Sellswords.

It was a dark, dirty and gritty mission and had a lot of traps and opportunities for the players to get to learn the system.

We finished it in three sessions.

But then again, I am a sucker for a city based adventure.

catsclaw227

First Post
Huh. I wonder if this is one of those modules that reads mediocre, yet plays very nicely. I had that experience DMing Mongoose's Drow War adventure path. It read weird, had some funky problems (maps sucked, too), but played totally awesome. It was one of the best campaigns I have ever DMed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases