Dragon 368 - Items of Legend

Shroomy

Adventurer
Four new 4e artifacts...get'em here. I have to say, I really, really love the way artifacts are handled in 4e. Of these four, I prefer the Figurine of Tantron and the Immortal Game.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Out of curiosity, how many people have actually used any artifacts in their game so far? I love that they're using the affiliation system from 3.5 with artifacts, but +1d10 for a level up makes it seem like a character might very quickly find himself with a pleased item, which is pretty significant, given how few (official) ways there are to lower concordance.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'm still thinking about dropping an artifact into my own D&D game (running KotS and onwards) but as my players are still only 2nd level it'll be a while before it'd be appropriate.

If I was running a Homebrew, however, I'd be VERY tempted.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Out of curiosity, how many people have actually used any artifacts in their game so far? I love that they're using the affiliation system from 3.5 with artifacts, but +1d10 for a level up makes it seem like a character might very quickly find himself with a pleased item, which is pretty significant, given how few (official) ways there are to lower concordance.

Yeah, that +1d10 for a level is my one serious issue with artifacts in 4E...fortunately, it's dead simple to houserule out of existence. I'm leaning towards a flat +1 for a level...I really don't want the bonus for leveling to overshadow the bonus for actually doing things to make the artifact happy.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Well, I think its clear that WotC wants PCs using artifacts to consistently have a concordance score near the higher end of the spectrum, since that makes the artifacts more useful to the PCs as magic items and to DMs as plot devices and NPCs.

Vanuslux

Explorer
Well, I think its clear that WotC wants PCs using artifacts to consistently have a concordance score near the higher end of the spectrum, since that makes the artifacts more useful to the PCs as magic items and to DMs as plot devices and NPCs.

Then what's the point of having a concordance system at all if by design they skew it so that PCs pretty much automatically have happy items?

Shroomy

Adventurer
Then what's the point of having a concordance system at all if by design they skew it so that PCs pretty much automatically have happy items?

Well, it gives the PCs agency when dealing with the artifact; otherwise, it really is just a plot device that operates at the whims of the DM. It also allows PCs to really bungle their interactions with the artifact, which introduces an element of risk to the proceedings and makes it behave more like a NPC. Finally,a sliding concordance score allows the designers to incorporate an equally sliding scale of cool powers.

questing gm

First Post
Well, it gives the PCs agency when dealing with the artifact; otherwise, it really is just a plot device that operates at the whims of the DM. It also allows PCs to really bungle their interactions with the artifact, which introduces an element of risk to the proceedings and makes it behave more like a NPC. Finally,a sliding concordance score allows the designers to incorporate an equally sliding scale of cool powers.

Hmm....that's strange. 'cause if you read the article on Intelligent items those were the roles that they were suggested to fit into. :confused:

Engilbrand

First Post
OMG Intelligent Artifacts!!!!One!1
I just that that would be fun. An interesting idea. Can someone post a brief summary for people? Just let us know what the 4 are and an idea of what they do.
Part of me actually like the idea of using an artifact that constantly lies to the wielder about everything except things that would be involved in raising/lowering its concordance score.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases