Gary Gygax wikipedia article

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
indeed. ;) Sorry for not being clearer. I think the article has really been coming along, but any additional help would be supercool. :)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
indeed. ;) Sorry for not being clearer. I think the article has really been coming along, but any additional help would be supercool. :)

Boz if there's anything you don't already have from my interview with Gary from back in 2002 please feel free to use it, just credit accordingly.

Thanks.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am going to go ahead and give my 2 cents...but then offer nothing more. ;)

These things...are tough.

Very easy to loose the forest for the trees, and that starts to happen here. The two key events for the reading public are the creation of D&D, and the dispute(s) that led him to leaving TSR. Also, towards the end of his life, he did reengage with his fanbase and D&D, though not exactly in the way described.

Both the creation and disputes need more attention, and need to be "broken out" more. The issues surounding the decline of the company under the blooms should be part of that. Off the top of my head both the 25th aniversary "silver box" and the 30th aniversary book may help, as should the many, many things Mr Gygax had to say on these matters.

As for his last years, the focus on Troll Lords...is not enough (and there is too much of that it in the Biography section). Its critical to mention the final settlement with WotC, and the fact that he had a Dragon column again. I would say even things like his regular partipation at cons, his involvment on ENWorld, his mixed feelings on 3E and disapointment at ADD not coming back, all would be worth noting. His work with the Trolls, for better or worse, is something that only a small fraction of the gaming public will ever be familiar with.

A few more quibles:

-his interview on 60 minutes should be noted.
-This: "After leaving TSR in 1985 over issues with its new majority owner, Gygax continued to author role-playing game titles independently, beginning with the multi-genre Dangerous Journeys in 1992" Is obviously incorect and contradicted latter in the article.
-The influance of LoTR on D&D, and the Chainmail fantasy supplement, should be noted...I know the arguments, I know the other influances, but Tolkien is why the game had the races, and some of the classes, that it does.

Final Thought:
-To really give heft to the article, a little criticism and controvery could be interesting. Cyborg comando was a flop, dangerous journeys really, really complicated, he had his own issues when in charge at TSR. ADD is not a perfect game. When he left TSR, the response by management was pretty brutal: taking his name off books, the Castle Greyhawk parody module...No one is perfect, and a little of this could take the article to the next level.

Oh, and one more thing. Anymore pictures, of Gygax or his products?

Ok, thats my 2 cents. Thanks to all of you actually working on this.

Remove ads