JoeGKushner

First Post
The Sinister Spire
Written by Bruce R. Cordell and Ari Marmell
Published by Wizards of the Coast
www.wizards.com/dnd
64 black and white pages
$19.95

If you look at the back of the Sinister Spire, you’d see that it’s an adventure for 5th level characters. Nothing would indicate that it’s actually the second in a three part adventure. It’s actually DD2. Something that’s not indicated anywhere on the cover. This adventure mainly takes place in the Underdark and also uses the tactical write up methodology introduced in Barrow of the Forgotten King.

So what didn’t I like?
• Start is weak. It’s heavily tied into the first book . On the other hand, it’s very easy to adopt to whatever you want.

• It’s expensive. Some may argue that it’s what the market will bear, but WoTC provides other products in full color for the same price and page count like their Dungeon book.

• Not a lot of art. I like visual guides and cues to show the players.

• Monsters used from a variety of sources without noting those sources. Sure, you don’t need them since the stats are all in front of you, but it’d be nice for those who do have them so we can grab the visuals.

• Editing could use some work. While I’m not a stat block freak, there were several page references that didn’t actually match up to the page reference.
In terms of the tactical encounter information, I’m a little torn on it. While it’s nice to have all the detailed information in one spot, I hate flipping the book to those sections. Those sections also take up most of the space. Time will tell if this format, where a specific part of the map is reproduced with specific notes and comments on how the monsters react and what role the environment players, will continue onto 4th ed.
On the other hand, there were some things that I did enjoy.

• It doesn’t assume you’ve started off in some village. It makes use of an Underdark ‘city’, Pedestal, where there are lots of opportunities to get into all sorts of trouble.

• While being open, there is a ‘mission’ so that players have something to keep in mind.
• It uses legacy items. Some don’t like them because of the penalties and costs associated with it, but as the items rise in power and don’t require replacing every couple levels, it’s a good mechanic to me.

• Because there’s not a lot of art, there is more room for text.

For the price count, I wish that they’d get rid of the blank interior first page that’s just the title of the book and the authors, and the last page which is a check list of more WoTC D&D items. In adventures, even with Dungeon magazine recently dead, there are plenty of sources for adventures that aren’t linked to each other requiring a $60 investment.
Sinister Spire works best as a direct sequel to Barrow but the Underdark city itself makes for some potential reuse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases