The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Classic D&D adventure module review

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, by Dave J. Browne with Don Turnbull – Advanced D&D, 1981
An adventure for character levels 1-3

32 pages plus the separate tri-fold cover with maps on the inside faces and the third panel of the outside face. (1 blank page backing player handout illustrations.) The adventure has 30 numbered areas in the mansion, and 17 numbered areas on the ship.

This was the premiere module from the United Kingdom, and the preface mentions, as a light warning, that American readers will probably notice the “slightly different flavour”.

The first four pages introduce the module, mention the town of Saltmarsh, tell the legend of the haunted mansion, and explain the overall plot and story for the adventure. Unlike other adventures of the time period with a town name in the title, this module does not detail the main town. The section on the town merely gives an overview and tells the DM to create any necessary details, including the names and occupations of the Town Council and other prominent citizens, any inn and/or tavern, and the place(s) of worship. The only details given are the population, “about 2,000,” and its coordinate location on the World of Greyhawk map.

The plot for this adventure revolves around a supposedly haunted mansion on a cliff near the town. The text gives several plot hooks to get the PCs to investigate the mansion. Once the PCs investigate, they should discover a smuggling operation working out of the basement with its small sea caves complex. When the PCs defeat the smugglers, they will then need to prepare to capture the smugglers’ ship when it arrives.

The mansion is not actually haunted, but is dilapidated enough to have a few dangerous spots that act essentially as traps. There are several giant vermin encounters in the mansion, and in a change of the AD&D paradigm, the vermin don’t have deadly poisonous bites. The authors made the spider and centipede bites debilitating instead of killing.

This module has boxed text to be read to the Players, and the room information is broken up into readable paragraphs. This helps tremendously compared to other modules of this era with dense paragraphs and no text boxes.

All the monsters are listed in the “old school” stat block style: (AC 8; HD 1+1; hp 7 each, #AT 1; D 1 hit point plus poison).

The only non-critter encounter in the house proper is with a tied up self-admitted thief. This Ned Shakeshaft is actually an assassin placed in the mansion to foil the PCs’ investigation. The encounter is set up such that Ned has what seems like a good story for his presence, but the story is flawed just enough that proper scrutiny will reveal a clue to actually push the PCs further in their investigation.

If the PCs make it to the secret areas of the basement of the mansion, they will find obvious evidence that the house is not vacant. The cavern areas are full of smugglers and some humanoid thugs. This part of the adventure in the mansion can and probably will be a series of combats, hopefully ending in the defeat of the land-based element of the smuggler operation. With the evidence found and deciphered from the mansion investigation, the PCs will need to plan an assault on the smuggler ship.

The ship part of this adventure can go in two completely different ways: It can be a stealth operation – sneaking up on the ship, slipping on board, quietly taking out guards, etc. Or it can be a straight-up boarding assault – storm the railings, hack and slash the defenders, etc. The module is written with the assumption that the PCs at least try the stealthy approach first, although a mass melee on the decks may result from mistakes or bad luck.

Once the smugglers are defeated and the ship taken, there is more mystery and intrigue to discover: what the smugglers are actually smuggling, and to whom. This sets up the plot hook for the next adventure module in this series, Danger at Dunwater.

Overall, this adventure is not a mindless hack-and-slash affair. It is a mystery story punctuated with interesting combat scenarios. There are intriguing plot points throughout the adventure, and the whole operation is full of great role playing opportunities. Impatient, strictly kick-in-the-door types may not appreciate this adventure, but there are enough of most gaming style elements here to satisfy most gamer types. This module is truly one of the greatest adventures ever created. It has story, role playing opportunities, and plenty of grand, interesting combat.

Bullgrit

Total Bullgrit

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I love this mod. It is one of my all-time favorites. Almost every time I have started a game, it has been with SSoSM.
Most recently, I updated it for a 4E play-by-post game. In a previous campaign, the players claimed the house, renovated it, and used it as their base for the rest of the campaign (they reached lvl17 or 18--this was 2nd ed). So what happened between then and now? The house was expanded. Currently the party is patrolling the grounds. Other events from that game (sheesh, nearly 20 years ago) have shaped the entire campaign world. They will find a few of them along the way.

Mary_Crowell

First Post
That sounds good! My players have really enjoyed the sessions with a bit of mystery in them. I run a 3.5 house ruled game, so I'm going to look through the module conversions and see if anyone has already converted SSoS to some flavor of third edition.

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Played this once, but never got around to buying it myself. :blush: As a GM I worry a bit that Ned might put newer players in the kill-everything-that-moves mode because of his betrayal. Even if it is a perfectly reasonable situation for the PCs to run into. That aside, great module! We tried the stealth approach but rolled poorly and it became a fight. One of my fondest gaming memories is when the party Wizard Commanded the captain (I think, been a loooong time. Whoever was wearing the heaviest armor.) to 'Swim'! LOL

Warbringer

Explorer
Great module, remember playing it when it came out. I recall that Ned actually was played as an PC that the DM fed clues through and his skulduggery was because he there was hidden treasure that the DM told the player about and that they would have to share with the party if they found out. The ultimate betrayal was as much a shock to the player as it was to the party :)

by_the_sword

First Post
This was such a wonderful module, not only because it had the right amount of story, problem-solving and fighting in it, but it also came with the deckplans of a ship (and a haunted mansion) that a DM could use in other parts of a campaign.

I would like to run a Lovcraftian themed version of this module with deep-ones and human-deep one hybrid pirates.

The Shadow Over Saltmarsh...

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I recently ran this for my girl friend. It was the start her first dnd game. (She's played a little HERO system before but this was her first dnd.) We both had a great time. It really is a good adventure with lots of options. My girlfriend is much more of "talk to the NPCs" player. She doesn't mind the odd combat but much prefers it if there's some solid plot reason for it. This module was able to give us the well rounded story we wanted.

Gilladian

Adventurer
The thing to do to mitigate Ned (and to make his betrayal a bit more intense) is to include TWO prisoners. One is a real captive, taken to give cover to Ned, and the other is Ned the assassin. The second prisoner can end up being a loyal follower for the PCs.

Saltmarsh is a fundamental community in one of my campaign settings; several campaigns have started there. Somehow I've never run the 2nd and 3rd modules in this series, though; they both seem a bit weaker.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases