Undead Origins

Voadam

Legend
E3 Prince of Undeath

E3 Prince of Undeath
4e
Dread Wraith: By the time the adventurers rush to the Raven Queen's aid, she is already staked to the floor of her throne room by the shard of evil. Although she is not yet destroyed. her power to judge souls and send them to their final destinations fails.
The consequences of this have yet to propagate. Within Letherna, Raise Dead and similar rituals work normally however, each time a creature is raised to life, a dread wraith appears in a square adjacent to the raised creature.
Any humanoid killed by a dread wraith assassin rises as a free-willed dread wraith at the start of its creator's next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or in the nearest unoccupied space). Raising the slain creature (using the Raise Dead ritual) does not destroy the spawned wraith.
Abyssal Rotfiend: ?
Abyssal Horde Ghoul: ?
Larva Warlord: ?
Vampire Lord Human Fighter: ?
Bonecrusher Skeleton Hulk: ?
Slaughter Wight Overlord: ?
Lich Vestige: ?
Immolith Seeker: ?
Rot Harbinger Reaver: ?
Lich Castellan Wizard: ?
Beholder Eye of Death: ?
Dread Wraith Assassin: ?
Timesus, The Black Star: An ancient island·mote hanging deep within the Abyssal void. Known as the Forge of Four Worlds, it acts as a conduit for elemental and arcane energy-energy that Orcus plans to use to restore Timesus and convert the primordial into one of the undead.
Abyssal Madness Ghoul: ?
Demonic Skeleton Defilade: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Eberron Campaign Guide

Eberron Campaign Guide
4e
Undead: Buried deep, beyond the prying eyes of the common worshipers, is an ossuary where Vol’s mummy high priest, Malevanor, performs the most profane rituals, twisting corpses with dark magic to create atrocities and undead horrors.
To shore up the nation’s demoralized and weakened armies, the Blood of Vol provided Karrnath with rituals that produce loyal undead warriors.
When the Shadowfell draws near to the world, the boundaries between life and death grow thin. Ghosts become common on Eberron then, because it is as easy for spirits to remain in the world of the living as it is for them to pass into the Realm of the Dead. Rituals that call the dead back to life sometimes go awry, bringing ghosts or other undead along with the desired spirit.
King Kaius ir'Wynarn III: The moment of Kaius’s transformation came when the Blood of Vol demanded he pay the price for its assistance in the Last War. The priests approached the king in the darkest days of the war, when Aundair pressed into Karrnathi lands, when food shortages threatened to starve out his people, and when disease ran rampant across the countryside. Helpless to refuse, he agreed to their terms. The Blood of Vol unearthed and disseminated stores of food and reinforced his flagging armies with undead troops and cultists of the Order of the Emerald Claw. The price, though, was far steeper than Kaius would have imagined. The ancient lich who reigned over the Blood of Vol intended to make Kaius her puppet. When he came before her, she performed a ritual to rob him of his humanity and transform him into a vampire.
Karrnathi Skeleton: Blood of Vol devotees first spawned Karrnathi skeletons and zombies from the corpses of elite warriors. These undead retain their cunning and training, making them far superior to the regular soldiers in Karrnath’s legions.
Karrnathi Zombie: Blood of Vol devotees first spawned Karrnathi skeletons and zombies from the corpses of elite warriors. These undead retain their cunning and training, making them far superior to the regular soldiers in Karrnath’s legions.
Mourner: Mourners are undead spirits of soldiers who were killed by the Mourning.
Mourners are the disconsolate spirits of soldiers killed in Cyre on the Day of Mourning.
Mourners are the
remnants of a single company of Thrane soldiers who died when their captain led them into a Karrnathi ambush three days before the Mourning. Buried in a mass grave, the spirits of the betrayed soldiers rose as one on the Day of Mourning.
Ash Remnant: They are the last vestiges of those who failed to escape the mist.
Ash remnants are thought to be the final victims of the Mourning, the last remains of those who perished at the boundaries of the Mournland when it was created. They are animated by raw hatred and despair, constantly reliving the terror of the Mourning in the shattered remnants of their minds.
Vol: Through her arcane powers, her indomitable spirit, and a burning hatred for the elves and dragons that had wronged her, Vol has endured for long centuries in the ranks of the undead.
Undying Court: Worthy
elves gain immortality among the undying. Whether sage or soldier, benevolent undead aid and advise the living in the hope that such service will one day qualify them to join the powerful undead elves that make up the Undying Court.
The death of thousands of elves in the war against the giants of Xen’drik led to an elven obsession with preserving the greatest among their people. The elves’ exploration of the mysticism of death created the religion of the Undying Court, which involves the veneration of ancestors and the pursuit of personal perfection. The reward for success on this mystical path is immortality in an undying body.
Vampire: Vol’s methods created creatures such as vampires and liches that required life energy or blood from living creatures.
Lich: Vol’s methods created creatures such as vampires and liches that required life energy or blood from living creatures.
Lady Vol: ?
Ghost: When the Shadowfell draws near to the world, the boundaries between life and death grow thin. Ghosts become common on Eberron then, because it is as easy for spirits to remain in the world of the living as it is for them to pass into the Realm of the Dead. Rituals that call the dead back to life sometimes go awry, bringing ghosts or other undead along with the desired spirit.
Zombie Rotter: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
4e
Zombie: ?
Undead: Undead fuel their minds and protect their corpses from dissolution through powerful necromantic rituals—especially liches, whose never-ending acquisition of arcane knowledge has propelled some into contention with the gods themselves.
A few cling to the Shadowfell or to the world, continuing on as ghosts or other insubstantial undead.
Lich: Undead fuel their minds and protect their corpses from dissolution through powerful necromantic rituals—especially liches, whose never-ending acquisition of arcane knowledge has propelled some into contention with the gods themselves.
Ghost: A few cling to the Shadowfell or to the world, continuing on as ghosts or other insubstantial undead.
His victory was short-lived, however. Halflings from the Lluirwood surprised Voolad and killed him. Whatever fell purpose drove the druid enabled him to rise as a powerful ghost.
Dodkong: ?
Death Chief: The undead king reanimates each clan chieftain who dies, forming the Dodforer, a council of “Death Chiefs” who serve him.
Saed, Vampire Lord: ?
Terpenzi: The naga Terpenzi, slain by the Shadowking, returned as a powerful undead entity.
ONCE A GREAT IMMORTAL NAGA, the founder and longtime ruler of Najara, Terpenzi lost its life and status long ago. After its demise, horrifying rituals bound its soul into its skeletal body.
Undead Dragon Turtle: Necromancers created more than one undead dragon turtle from those slain in the lake.
Chillborn Zombie: ?
Melathaur, Runescribed Dracolich: ?
Espera Larva Mage: The Spellplague destroyed many of these in gouts of blue fire. Espera, a genasi necromancer, had already tied herself to Shar’s power of shadow. She died in the conflagration but was resurrected as a larva mage.
Dracolich: Half a millennium has passed since the Cult of the Dragon formed under the mad archmage Sammaster. He gathered followers who were drawn by his delusional visions that prophesied the eternal rule of Faerûn by undead dragons. He then formulated a process to create the first dracolich, which he recorded in his work Tome of the Dragon.
A fettered dracolich’s intellect and perception are diminished, but it retains a strong force of personality that struggles to resurface. As a result, its behavior is unpredictable and destructive. If its phylactery is returned to it, a fettered dracolich is released from its slavery. It becomes a standard dracolich.
Anabraxis the Black Talon, Runescribed Dracolich: ?
Human Death Knight, Naergoth Bladelord: ?
Lich, Vargo the Faceless: ?
Fettered Dracolich: Some cult cells have taken to capturing young dragons and putting them through a modified ritual of ascension. This ritual ties the dragon’s will to whoever holds its phylactery, resulting in a fettered dracolich.
Lod, Bone Naga: ?
Meremoth, Undead Lamia: ?
Direhelm: Direhelms are created through a ritual from the Codex of Araunt, involving grave dirt from the tombs of warriors fallen in battle.
Doomsept: A doomsept is a sevenfold spirit, created by one of the rituals in the Codex of Araunt.
Plaguechanged Ghoul: THE SPELLPLAGUE KILLED INDISCRIMINATELY, but it apparently raised some of those it slew, in a hungering form.
Dread Warrior: THAY’S NECROMANCERS ARE AMONG THE BEST in the world, and their undead creations are simply more capable and enduring than others. Thay produces more than its share of shambling corpses, but its Dread Legions contain a significant number of intelligent skeletons and zombies. Known as dread warriors, these evil undead can follow orders, communicate, and fight just as well as a living counterpart, but they do so without fear of death.
“Dread warrior” is a template you can apply to any humanoid creature to represent one of these Thayan monstrosities.
Szass Tam, Human Wizard Lich: ?
Manshoon, Human Wizard Vampire Lord: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
FR 1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard

FR 1 Scepter Tower of Spellgard
4e
Gravehound: Once the Darano kennel master, Kalmo was searching the Spellgard ruins with his wolves when a magic trap slew the animals and animated them as zombies.
Boneshard Skeleton: ?
Decrepit Skeleton: ?
Specter: When Saharelgard fell, a would-be looter was captured and slain in this chamber. This hateful thief returned as a specter
Skeleton: ?
Zombie: ?
Deathlock Wight: One of the arcanists interred in this chamber was a wizard making secret preparations for becoming a lich. Though he was slain in a spell duel before he could complete the process, he had already suffused his being with an unholy power that allowed him to rise as a deathlock wight.
Wraith: ?
Vampire Spawn Fleshripper: Barthus captured a group of ruffians in the ruins several years ago and transformed them into vampire spawn minions after feasting on them.
Barthus: ?
Troop Captain, Elite Skeleton: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
H1 Keep on the Shadowfell

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell
4e
Zombie Rotter: With the aid of the powers beyond the rift, Kalarel has animated several corpses from the interred dead and transformed this area into a guard room.
Zombie: With the aid of the powers beyond the rift, Kalarel has animated several corpses from the interred dead and transformed this area into a guard room.
Skeleton Warrior: ?
Decrepit Skeleton: Ninaran followed Kalarel’s instructions in creating this magic circle to raise the dead.
Sir Keegan Skeleton Knight: As commander of the keep’s soldier, Sir Keegan held the responsibility of protecting the rift. In that duty he failed, and to this day, his spirit despairs over his failure.
“I failed in my responsibility. I allowed the influence of the Shadow Rift and my knowledge of the crumbling empire to distract me from my sworn oath. The corruption that lies on the other side of the rift touched me and triggered disaster.”
“Finally the alarm went up, and what remained of the legion banded together against me. Even in my rage, I knew I couldn’t best them all, so I fled into the crypts to hide from vengeance. Only then did the madness lift. I realized what I had done and
despaired. I had killed my love and broken my oath. More than that, I had done so with my sword, Aecris, an implement given to me by King Elidyr when I was knighted. The remnants of my legion sealed the passage and trapped me here. I selected this as a fitting place to spend eternity.”
Gravehound: Ninaran followed Kalarel’s instructions in creating this magic circle to raise the dead.
Corruption Corpse: ?
Ghoul: ?
Vampire Spawn Fleshripper: ?
Skeleton Sentinel: ?
Shallowgrave Wight: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
H3 Pyramid of Shadows

H3 Pyramid of Shadows
4e
Chillborn Zombie: ?
Flameskull: ?
Headless Corpse: When Karavakos decapitated Vyrellis, he placed her body here, within a powerful field of arcane magic. Over time, the magic within this room has waned. Vyrellis can now reclaim her body, but there is a catch. Karavakos animated the corpse and filled it with necrotic energy.
Battle Wight: ?
Frightful Wraith: Any humanoid killed by a frightful wraith rises as a free-willed frightful wraith at the start of its creator’s next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or in the nearest unoccupied space). Raising the slain creature (using the Raise Dead ritual) does not destroy the spawned wraith.
Wraith: DEATH’S HUNGER
The power of death is strong in this area. A bloodied creature anywhere in the area can score a critical hit on a natural die roll of 19 or 20.
A character who falls to 0 hit points or fewer anywhere in within the area shown on the encounter map is immediately teleported into one of the empty coffins in the northeast room. The lid of the coffin slams shut and requires a DC 20 Strength check to open (from either side). Each time a character inside a coffin fails a death saving throw, each battle wight (if any remain) regains 24 hit points. A character who dies inside one of the coffins rises as a wraith at the start of the frightful wraith’s next turn, exactly as if the wraith had killed the creature. With phasing, the character can escape the coffin and rejoin the battle, now fighting on the side of the other undead.
Vampire Spawn Bloodhunters: ?
Skeletal Tomb Guardians: ?
Bonecrusher Skeleton: ?
Wailing Ghost, Banshee: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Halls of Undermountain

Halls of Undermountain
4e
Grasping Zombie: ?
Dayan Vampire Necromancer: ?
Shambling Mummy: ?
Ghoul: ?
Flesh-Crazed Zombie: ?
Crawling Claw: ?
Wraith: A zombie holds a struggling goblin in its hands and plunges the screaming goblin into the southeastern pool. ·Instantly, the goblin stops struggling and the pool turns red. A wraith emerges from the goblin's body.
If a living creature enters or starts its turn in the pool, it must make a saving throw. If it fails the saving throw, the creature loses a healing surge. If a creature with no healing surges fails the saving throw while in the pool, the creature dies and is immediately turned into a wraith.
If anyone disturbs the garter or the bones of Trestyna Ulthilor, the priestess's spirit rises as a wraith.
Decrepit Skeleton: ?
Hulking Zombie: ?
Julain De'Spri, Ghost: He and his wife, Amori, were buried here long ago. Recently, however, some terrible power ripped their spirits from the peaceful place where they were residing and brought them back to this room. Now Julain's spirit is waiting here, restless, as Amori's body and spirit are being tampered with elsewhere.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Hammerfast

Hammerfast
4e
Telg, Dwarf Ghost: ?
Kralick, Orc Ghost: ?
Grolin Surespike, Ghost: Grolin Surespike, a dwarf ghost who died in the Trade Spire back when it served as living quarters for Hammerfast's priests, appears elderly and frail.
Undead Paladins of Moradin: ?
Barrthak, Dwarf Lich: ?
Cherndon the Mad, Dwarf Ghost: He died trying to prevent the orcs from learning where several rich dwarf lords were buried.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass

HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass
4e
Skull Spirit: ?
Skeleton: Alternatively, they might stumble across the bones of those who died during the Glintshield dwarves' civil war, awakening the warriors' angry spirits when one of them pries a magic weapon from the grip of one of the skeletons.
Blazing Skeleton: Alternatively, they might stumble across the bones of those who died during the Glintshield dwarves' civil war, awakening the warriors' angry spirits when one of them pries a magic weapon from the grip of one of the skeletons.
Boneshard Skeleton: Alternatively, they might stumble across the bones of those who died during the Glintshield dwarves' civil war, awakening the warriors' angry spirits when one of them pries a magic weapon from the grip of one of the skeletons.

Last edited:

Remove ads