Paladin Build

sdt

First Post
I was wondering if it's possible to create a good Dragonborn Paladin using Strength and Charisma or is it better to ignore one stat and maximize the other. I've seen the Charisma builds and wonder how well they work as defenders; it seems that they make good leaders but poor Defenders.

Any suggestions or experience on how to build a low level Dragonborn would be appreciated.

Well I would imagine the hardcore optimisers would disagree but having a 16 in STR and CHA would be fine (+2 for being DB). You cannot just go for strength (unless you mc with fighter) because some levels don't have any STR powers. And having both up high means you have good flexibility, with some ranged powers as well. You don't need high anything else, although CON is useful because of your DB heritage.
However (having played a STR based DB Pal til level 5 and finding the lack of STR powers and ranged attacks sucks the big one!) I would def play a mix of abilities:
STR: 16+2
CON: 12
DEX: 10
INT: 8
WIS: 12
CHA: 16+2

Your reflex will be down a bit but use a heavy shield! The Pal suffers big style from MAD. You could swap CON and DEX for the extra reflex, up to you really. But you need WIS, which is really helpful with your encounter powers.
Oh and expanded dragon breath rules as the ultimate minion clearer :)

As I said it is probably not hardcore optimised but having both melee and ranged attacks starting at +4 is a good start IMO.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I was wondering if it's possible to create a good Dragonborn Paladin using Strength and Charisma or is it better to ignore one stat and maximize the other. I've seen the Charisma builds and wonder how well they work as defenders; it seems that they make good leaders but poor Defenders.

Any suggestions or experience on how to build a low level Dragonborn would be appreciated.

I'm currently playing a "balanced" dragonborn paladin:

level 1:

Str: 16
Con: 14
Dex: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 13
Cha: 18

feat: toughness

There are a few strength powers like holy strike, piercing smite, and thunder smite that are too good to pass up. Otherwise, I focus on charisma-based abilities. I think 16 STR is fine if you stick with heavy blades. You won't be able to get weapon mastery feats if you stick with pumping strength and charisma but there are ways around that (the radiant servant paragon path for example).

Cadfan

First Post
You can run a balanced dragonborn paladin and do just fine. You'll miss out on some bonuses from a high wisdom score, but you'll have better charges and opportunity attacks than a charisma paladin, and you'll have a better divine challenge than a strength paladin.

I think its a fair tradeoff.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
You can run a balanced dragonborn paladin and do just fine. You'll miss out on some bonuses from a high wisdom score, but you'll have better charges and opportunity attacks than a charisma paladin, and you'll have a better divine challenge than a strength paladin.

I think its a fair tradeoff.

Alternatively you can be a charisma paladin, start with 14 dex and 14 strength and take blade opportunist early on and then retrain to heavy blade opportunity at paragon tier. Your charges won't be great but you'll make opportunity attacks as if you had 18 strength during heroic tier. That isn't bad at all.

Danceofmasks

First Post
It's possible to build for both, but definitely better to focus on one stat.
After all, the quality of your powers are irrelevant if you miss .. and having a higher primary attack stat means a greater static bonus to damage: more than makes up for incidental effects.

What's more, if you think of a holy symbol as a weapon (with associated costs), then str-based paladins don't have to invest in 2 weapons.
The lack of a str-based power at level 9 is not that big a deal .. you could just (for example) take Hallowed Circle (paladin 5) and use it to give everyone +1 to all defenses.

Ibixat

First Post
Honestly I'd just take whatever level 9 (radiant pulse being my choice) and see if martal power makes the evil charisma only power level go away =)

Milambus

First Post
Honestly I'd just take whatever level 9 (radiant pulse being my choice) and see if martal power makes the evil charisma only power level go away =)

Nothing in Martial Powers for Paladins, since they are a divine class. (Or so I have been lead to believe.)

Ibixat

First Post
Hmmm true, hadn't thought of that actually, though my paladin has initiate of the faith so now thinking about it I'd probably power swap it with a feat for
Divine Power
Daily - Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon
Close burst 2 Target: Each enemy in burst you can see
Attack: Strength vs. Fortitude (boooyah)
does 2W + Str radiant damage, and 1 square push, also gives you regen 5 till encounter ends and all allies in burst get +2 ac

DracoSuave

First Post
Hmmm true, hadn't thought of that actually, though my paladin has initiate of the faith so now thinking about it I'd probably power swap it with a feat for
Divine Power
Daily - Divine, Healing, Radiant, Weapon
Close burst 2 Target: Each enemy in burst you can see
Attack: Strength vs. Fortitude (boooyah)
does 2W + Str radiant damage, and 1 square push, also gives you regen 5 till encounter ends and all allies in burst get +2 ac

Um... Initiatiate of the Faith -is- a prerequisite for the power swap feat....

Remove ads