Where are the Dire Lions?

sdt

First Post
Is there an official or unofficial Dire Lion published somewhere? I assume Wizards published them but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Is there an official or unofficial Dire Lion published somewhere? I assume Wizards published them but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

According to the DDI Compendium, they haven't been published yet (I suppose they could have appeared in a RPGA module from this month, but I don't have access to those yet). However, given that there is another Gladiator article coming out in tonight's Dragon, and that combatting wild beasts (especially lions) is a staple of that genre, you may be seeing them soon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

What level are you after?

There's a Dire Lion as a Level 5 Brute in the Monster Manual, for example, but they labelled it 'Rage Drake'.

-Hyp.

Serphet

First Post
DMG 184 is your best friend, or the newest mini app in DDI.

They don't have an official print, just use DMG 184 and make them however serves you best.

Serphet

First Post
here is my attempt at one

Dire Lion

It's a lion! get in the car!

Dire Lion Level 6 Brute
Large Natural Beast (mount) XP 250
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +14; low-light vision
HP 83; Bloodied 41
AC 18; Fortitude 19, Reflex 18, Will 18
Speed 7

Claw Attack (standard; at-will) * Melee
+9 vs AC; 1d10 + 4 damage

Pounce (standard; recharge 56)
+9 vs AC; 3d8 + 4 damage
You may move up to 4 squares before making the attack.

Pouncing strike (When mounted by a friendly rider of 6th level or higher; at-will) * Mount
the rider may make a free basic melee attack against the target of a Pounce.

Alignment: Unaligned
Skills: Stealth +14
Str 19 (+7) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 13 (+4) Int 13 (+4) Cha 13 (+4)

Dire Lion Tactics
This monster blurs between a brute and a lurker, as a band they hide in the enironment and wait for their prey.
edit: added a mount line.
edit: added mount keyword

Last edited:

Serphet

First Post
if you were to have them as an encounter, i'd say 1 dire lion and a pack of 4-6 lions (skirmishers).

the main problems I have with this guy are... pounce should have a knock prone effect, but that'd over power this guy. As a brute he should be a direct hitter, though the nature of lions make me want to make him a skirmisher...but for a table life of 3 rounds... its not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
pounce should have a knock prone effect

Yep. Agreed. I'd base it off the Sphinx in the MM most likely:

Pounce (Standard, at-will)

The sphinx moves up to 6 squares and makes a claw attack. If the attack hits, the target is knocked prone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases