H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth is the second heroic-tier adventure for D&D 4th edition by Wizards of the Coast, and a loose sequel to H1 Keep on the Shadowfell. The adventure takes place in the Labyrinth beneath Thunderspire Peak, once the capital of a minotaur kingdom, but now inhabited by many different groups of humanoids and monsters. An enclave of traders in the Seven-Pillared Hall operates under the watchful eyes of the Mages of Saruun, providing a meeting place between the surface world and the Underdark.

This adventure is presented in two books. Adventure Book 1 (32 pages) provides an overview of the adventure, four suggested hooks & quests for the PCs, a description of the likely home base for the PCs during the adventure - the aforementioned Seven-Pillared Hall - five new monsters, and a collection of illustrations. Adventure Book 2 (64 pages) contains the encounters of the four "dungeon" areas of the adventure. These booklets are contained in a cardboard folder which also has a double-sided poster map for use with miniatures that depicts three combat areas.

Thunderspire Labyrinth may be run in one of two fashions, depending on the desires of the Dungeon Master. The first is as a fairly linear quest, with hooks in each adventure area leading onto the next. This way of running the adventure begins with the "Investigate the Bloodreavers" or "Slave Rescue" hooks, where the PCs are sent to rescue villagers taken by a group of hobgoblin slavers. After dealing with the slavers ("The Chamber of Eyes"), they need to find the duergar that have bought the slaves ("The Horned Hold"). Two further slaves were bought by gnolls and must be rescued ("The Well of Demons"). Finally, the PCs might choose to brave the hold of a renegade mage who has been proving troublesome for them ("The Shrine of Vecna").

The second fashion, which needs more work from the DM, allows the PCs to go where they will in the Labyrinth, perhaps taking on quests from the inhabitants of the Seven-Pillared Hall; several such quests are suggested in the adventure. If this method is chosen, it's likely the DM will need to design additional areas in the Labyrinth. Help for doing so is given in the adventure, as well as in Dungeon #156.

This adventure is another fairly good one from Wizards. It is somewhat heavy on the combat, but the adventure areas get more and more interesting as you progress through the adventure. The "Well of Demons" has a number of interesting tricks and traps that require at least some problem-solving ability on the part of the players. There is a great deal of role-playing potential in the Hall of Seven Pillars, with a number of pre-existing rivalries detailed, along with quite a number of NPCs to interact with. Some of the dungeon areas also permit role-playing as an alternative method of bypassing encounter or at least of making them easier.

Splitting the adventure into four smaller sections (as well as a couple of interludes) is also a good way of keeping things managable. There are 28 encounters described in all (not counting random events or interactions in the Seven Pillared Hall), which will take the average group about 5-7 four-hour sessions to play through.

One problem in the adventure comes from "The Horned Hold" section, which describes a duergar stronghold. At eight encounter areas, it is exceedingly likely that a party will be unable to clear it out in one attempt, but very little mention is given of the tactics the duergar will use if they come under repeated assault. How quickly do they replace fallen allies? How do they redistribute their forces? This isn't completely ignored (the entry room gets restocked), but I would have preferred more discussion of what occurs here, as well as the reaction of the duergar trading post in the Seven Pillared Hall if they're not dealt with first.

Physically, the booklets are on a much superior quality of paper than was used in H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, and have been holding up pretty well to their recent usage in my campaign. The way information is presented in the books is also done very well, with a short overview of each adventure area before the details of the encounters therein. Again, the tactical format is used in this adventure.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with Thunderspire Labyrinth, although it doesn't quite hit the heights of great adventure design. There's plenty of opportunity for the DM to make it his or her own and expand on the material that is already here. In many ways, it hearkens back to old-school design; despite the ability to run it as a mostly linear adventure, you can also run it as a much more free-form adventure. A good, solid adventure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Playing this now.

The players thought the whole idea of Thunderspire and the Seven Pillar Hall was awesome. I tend to have players that love good site-based adventures I think. They LOVE the idea there are so many hallways and areas branching off from the hall.

Have just fought the slavers in the Chamber of Eyes. Took a whole session of almost non-stop combat, sneaking, failed negotiations and door kicking. Great session. As a DM I like the adventure and those bonuses in Dungeon mag are great.

There is also an extra article on converting it to FR. I do not use FR, but found this useful, as it has heaps more on NPC development and other quests (not to mention a swordmage NPC :)).
C

Realgar

First Post
I am thinking of using H1, H2 and H3 as an introduction to 4E. I know H1 comes with some rules ostensibly to get a party through its content. Do I need to buy books to get through H2 and H3?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I am thinking of using H1, H2 and H3 as an introduction to 4E. I know H1 comes with some rules ostensibly to get a party through its content. Do I need to buy books to get through H2 and H3?

Yes. You'll need the Player's Handbook to advance characters to the appropriate levels. All monster stats are provided, so you might get away with not having the DMG and MM. I would advise getting a DM's Screen, just because it has a bunch of very useful tables on it.

Renshai

First Post
I agree with your review of this and the other core adventures. I'll go a step further and say that when reading through these modules, I find that they remind me of the old classic adventures from my 1st Edition days.

Thunderpsire Labyrinth already inspires the same sense of excitement that White Plume Mountain once did, and Keep on the Shadowfell, to me is like Keep on the Borderlands. The settings for both of these adventures are excellent, well thought out and plausible.

I'm having more fun running D&D these days than I did when playing 3E, that's a given.

ilikepie

First Post
So far, this adventure has been very good, even though we're only through the first few encounters. The dungeon combats are great, and the highlight was the first encounter of the first dungeon. After miserably failing a persuasion attempt due to bad wording, two goblin archers came out onto the balcony and began shooting. The ranger picked the lock and unfortunately, only the paladin and the wizard fit into the corridor before the monsters blocked it. Then, the wizard blasted a bugbear and a hobgoblin into a burning firepit, while the druid used thorn whip to brutally pull both hobgoblins off a 15 foot ledge and onto a hard stone floor. After going completely over-the-top by continuing to smash the goblins into the wall and force the bugbear into the fire, they beat the encounter. It was quite entertaining.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases