Open RPG game Horror/ Fantasy game "Dark Dreams" D&D 3.5

Jear77

Explorer
hey,
I'm recruiting for a D&D 3.5 horror/ fantasy game.

Game time, days: Sundays at 2:00 CST
Game server: OpenRPG Veav 1
Game Room: Dark Dreams

(Pls note that until I get more players that there won't be a game. Pls also note that I won't be running the game every Sunday either)

I'm using Ptolus and the Pathfinder RPG suppliment, which are downloadable free. Both of them require you to sign up for their service(s)
Pathfinder:paizo.com - Store / Downloads / Pathfinder RPG

Ptolus:DriveThruRPG.com - Malhavoc Press - Ptolus: A Player's Guide to Ptolus

Pathfinder is something like "D&D 3.75" Overall it gives some more choices and increases the power level of the characters. All characters start out with a +2 to one stat according to their race, which means overall, a character can take up to an ECL +1 without having to worry about adjustments to their character.

Ptolus is interesting in that it set up specifically around the rules of D&D, which means that magic is everpresent, monsters roam the streets (but so long as they aren't causing mayhem, people don't care), which opens a wide array of possible races to play. There may be races that are ill-suited because of the fact that there is to be dungeon diving though.

Character rolling:
2d6+6, which makes a range from 8- 18 (though if you get too low of a score, I'll likely have you reroll)

Additional Stat
Because I don’t like charisma per se as it is, I’m breaking it up into Charisma and Comeliness. Charisma represents how strong your force of personality is. Comeliness, on the other hand, represents how beautiful or attractive you are. You can choose your Comeliness. Please note: I don’t want a party with nothing but extremely beautiful/ attractive people. Most people have an “average” score of 10-11. There are those who are ugly and have a score of 3-4, but those should be few. Paladins, Bards/ Rogues, (some) Fighters, Clerics, Druids, and Monks could be considered rather attractive (14+), but they are in the minority of the populace

Speed
For every +1 bonus to Dexterity, you gain an additional +5 feat to your character’s land speed.

This is a horror campaign. I'm using sanity, horror, madness, fear and taint rules, which are located here:
Sanity :: d20srd.org
Taint :: d20srd.org
Sanity is Wisdom x 5.

I've condensed some skills, which are in my house rules mailing.

I've got a house rules mailing (which I'm not going to repeat the entirity of here), which in setting up the rules the way that I have, I am trying to do several things:

1) Training increases your likelihood of both hitting and dodging, but doesn't make you any tougher. I'm using a variant on Armor as DR
2) Even though the Pathfinder book combines several skills, in combining them even more, each skill point becomes more valuable. If people point out ways they could be combined further, I'd be open to that too.
3) Remember that the setting is a city. Most of the action takes place beneath it/ in the surrounding areas (though there's enough taking place in the city itself, rare will be the occasion that you'll really need to be leaving it)

Some comments:
Even though I'm going for "real world" grittiness of vulnerability because players and monsters have way less HP than they usually would, I'm also trying to capture a (somewhat) video game/ anime feel in how characters move/ fight.

I will have characters roll for how many of the rumors they start off with

Alignment CN or above

Interested or want to see the house rules in their entirity write me back at Jear77@yahoo.com

Please note: if you're interested, but (once you see my rules adjustments) you think that it's a bit too complex, I'm willing to work with you to make your character.

Rumors
Rumors (to give players a choice in their beginning adventures)
1. Several well known people have recently died. They are widely known to visit prostitutes and/ or strip clubs. They are found murdered and without bones. Who is murdering these people and why?
2. Farmers report mysterious fog in surrounding areas. It seems to hinder crop growth. The bit of grain they do have is sickly. When the farmers feed it to their cattle, the cattle get a strange disease. The cattle die soon afterwards. The farmers are concerned that it will cause famine and widespread pestilence.
3. Magic is becoming unstable. Numerous reports of "dead magic zones" and "wild magic" zones are reported to appear and disappear. Whatever it is seems to be affecting magic users of all stripes. Clerics, bards, sorcerers, wizards, paladins, and druids are all affected.
4. Strange undead that no one has seen before have started showing up and the guards around the "City of the dead" are inadequate to take care of the problem
5. An unusual, wasting ailment has been affecting the populace, that's neither poison, nor disease, nor bacteria. Nothing the clerics nor paladins can do seems to affect it. What is the disease? Is it part of something larger?
6. Bandits are attacking caravans at random. It seems that they are looking for something specific. What are they looking for and why?
7. A new god is in town and clerics of various sects want to know who this newcomer is and what his or her intentions are.
8. A wizard is looking for a valuable item and is recruiting adventurers to help him look for it. He will give the party that finds it gold.
9. In a small, neighboring town several people have disappeared in the poor quarter, turning up dead later on, their bodies shredded to pieces and with strange symbols tattooed, carved, or branded on them. Some bodies have organs missing. No one seems to know the connection
these people have to one another. Locals are scared and request help.
10. An human emissary to the Elven kingdom, Jared Manches has been kidnapped. Both the elves and humans are offering a reward for his
return. Why was he kidnapped, and why do they want him back so badly?
11. There has been a string of burglaries of priceless pieces of art, magical artifacts, and ancient tomes. For what purpose are the thieves
stealing? There never seems to be any clues as to who is doing the thievery.
12. Rats are becoming quite a problem, more so than usual in the poor quarter. Why are they there?
13. There have been quite a number of wealthy children which disappeared from their homes at night, the starting place for all these events seem to be in Ptols itself.
14. Weird monsters with strange powers that no one can identify, and physical characteristics that no one's seen have been able to describe the same way twice.

Setup
(note: this is OOC, similar to what video games do)

Three Weeks Ago:

A smoke-filled room so filled with gyrating, sweaty, half-naked, groping bodies of every description, that there wasn’t any room to move around. Strobing and carefully controlled lights reflected off a silver sphere floating near the ceiling in an otherwise dark environment, thrumming, repetitive base music, so loud the walls of the abandoned warehouse shook, and plenty of freely flowing alcohol and drugs. By the look of things everyone was having a good time. But looks can be deceiving. A closer look revealed something different. The look of many were haggard and pallid, with sunken eyes, clammy to the touch, ashen, sallow skin, as if they had not gotten any sleep in a good many nights. In truth they hadn’t. They had been here partying. So busy they were dancing that they didn’t notice how drained they had become. These are those know in Elven as the Maihar “those devoid of wisdom.” This scene had been repeating itself for several weeks and no one had seemed to take notice or care about what was going on... no one bothered the revelry… yet.

Beyond the curtains set up in the warehouse designed to keep the partygoers out, a hooded robed figure cackles manically “Dance! Dance! Dance to your doom! Your energy will revive the Queen!” Behind him is an altar.

One of the revelers stumbles through the curtains and is immediately grabbed by a pair of guards. The laughing figure stands in front of the altar and does something to cause the altar to slide aside. Stairs descend into the darkness. A moment later, the altar slides back in place. Minutes later the sounds of a tortured scream is heard, but is drowned out by the thrumming music. No one will miss this one. They never do.

Soon, too soon; however, the revelry is halted. The City Watch shows up, dispersing the crowd. There was too much noise. There was too much disturbance of people’s normal lives.

“No!” the cloaked figure screams as the crowd is dispersed, escaping down the hidden passage. “This is not the end! This is only the beginning!”
Sometime later...

The hooded figure, deep below the city, further down then even the sewers

I had been so careful, so sure my plan would work to raise my Queen. Who would worry about a party happening night after night at an abandoned warehouse? It’s not as if it was in a residential neighborhood where people would be disturbed. But I should have been more careful, it seems. If only I had thought things out more thoroughly. The partygoers were poor, they were scum. No one should have missed them. The method I used to drain them may have affected their daily lives, but no one should have worried or cared… they were destined to become fodder for the Queen. At least I don’t have to start completely over… the energy remains… all I need to do is adjust the plan and an unwitting ally, and the Queen will arise! And I know just who I can use… Maniacal laughter ensues.

Elsewhere…

Slinking from shadow to shadow an upright creature covered with coarse grey-brown hair wearing bulky robes to hide his form splashes in the sewers, his shadow dancing in the dimly lit environment. The river of rats that follow him don’t seem to care whether they are seen or not.

Elsewhere…

Far beneath the city…a crowd of bandits, rogues, and pirates, all gather. An Elven woman with wavy long red hair and a pair of shades, wearing an all black outfit fitted with various straps, pouches, and clips addresses the crowd: “With my group of specially trained people, we are the greatest thieves among you. To prove it, my group will perform a series of interconnected thefts, boldly daring the city watch to catch us by leaving clues behind. I am Tarwe Aerahael, your leader!”

A chant starts up: Tarwe Aerahael! Tarwe Aerahael! Tarwe Aerahael! Tarwe Aerahael!

gr8unknown

First Post
Few Questions from Hogrim

I have a couple of questions:

1) What level are we starting at?
2) What is starting gold/equipment limitations?
3) Has the 'gunslinger' role been taken?

Jear77

Explorer
Still looking for players. I'd really like 6 players, if possible. First game was last week, went well. Next game will be 11/30/08

Remove ads