Guardians of Gaia Campaign Setting: Background & History

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Guardians of Gaia
-------------------
1859-1890: THE WILD WEST ERA
THE FIRST CHRONICLE​
On April 25th of 1859, when the ground was broken for the Suez Canal, a violent earthquake shook Egypt. The earthquake collapsed the ground inward and instantly created the desired canal, but not before a red mist came out from within the Earth. The mist entered the Earth’s atmosphere and soon there were reports of blood raining down all over Egypt. Not really blood, but a toxin from prehistoric times that managed to stay hidden from humankind for eons had been unleashed. It wasn’t long before there toxin rained down on all portions of the world.

Those affected by the ‘Blood Rain’ either died, developed superhuman abilities or remained unaffected by it. The amount of people killed by the Blood Rain was roughly 10% of Earths population. The amount of superhumans that emerged was equal about .001% of Earth’s population. In modern times this event is known as the Red Death in respect to the amount of people that died.

The first chronicle deals with the effect of how the Blood Rain initially affects the world. The amount of people that gain an extraordinary power compared to those that do gain a power, but nothing amazing are 1 in about 1,000.

There are some people that are endowed with such great gifts that do break the mold however.

[smallcaps]The Dead Alive[/smallcaps]
Graveyards didn’t go untouched by the Blood Rain. The recently deceased burst through their coffins and shambled across the land as unthinking beasts with a single desire; the need to feed. These creatures, known as Zombies became a scourge to world of the living and many humans quested to destroy as many as possible. The Zombies weren’t too much of a threat and were thought to be eliminated near the end of the first chronicle. They do still spring up from time to time and occasionally manage to make a ghost town out of a geographically isolated village.

Zombies, however, are just one threat created by the dead coming back from the grave, there are plenty more. Creatures made popular from the horror grnre that are known to exist include ghosts, ghouls, mummies, skeletons, vampires and wraiths.

[smallcaps]Magic & The Supernatural[/smallcaps]
The deaths of so many people caused by the Blood Rain caused an explosion that tore a rift in the fabric of reality. Suddenly a force unlike any humankind had ever known became real. Practitioners of the dark arts actually found themselves capable of weaving real effects that they had only dreamt about. In addition, spirits from beyond merged with human hosts and either consumed the person’s individuality or the person felt the spirit within them and tapped into it, making its power their own. Regardless of which these individuals, for good or bad, were endowed with magical or supernatural ability. Some of these people were physically transformed and became creatures of myth, such as werewolves and vampires.

These first vampires were, or in the case of those still unliving are more powerful than their modern descendants; able to walk during the day, able to cast a reflection and have no fear of holy symbols or holy water and are free to walk over holy ground or enter a home uninvited.

[smallcaps]First Chronicle Aftermath[/smallcaps]
The first chronicle comes with a sudden leap forward in technological advances. Steam power comes to the fore and its application brings forth the locomotive and makes building large cities in remote and rugged or inhospitable places more practical. Supers are known of by the end of this time, but none so fantastical that they have the ability to fly or travel vast distances in the blink of an eye. Super sciences are unheard of and the world is pretty much the same, right up until January 1st of 1890.

Imagine every western you have read or watched and then add in a hint of the fantastic. It is a time of exploration and expansion. Witches, wizards, mystics and petitioners of divine powers all have visions of what is to come and they are both amazed and terrified. They fear for the very fabric of the human soul. They foresee death and destruction unlike anything the world has ever seen in less than a hundred years time.

There is magic and the supernatural and extraplanar forces conspiring against humanity. Other forces wish to help but must do so subtly or humanity’s perception of reality would be shattered. It is a time for supers to tread lightly and they must choose their side.

Technology is pretty much the same, right up until the last ten years of the 19th century.

[smallcaps]First Chronicle Secrets[/smallcaps]
[sblock=Minor]A man by the name of Randall Tremain founds IPIA, which is short for International Paranormal Investigator’s Association. Randall starts work on the construction of Castle Tarragon, a sanctuary where any manner of aliens, animals, aberrations and mutants can be safely contained.

Randall was at ground zero when the toxic mist escaped from the earth. He was one of the rare that got two lungfuls of the concentrated mist before it hit the atmosphere. Among others, he was declared dead, but that was far from the truth. Randall awoke in the morgue a week later and found to his surprise that he had developed quite an array of superpowers, among them the immunity to aging, rapid healing and his inability to die. The downside was that he was rendered infertile.[/sblock][sblock=Major]The green mist that was released into the atmosphere was due to a crystal that shattered deep within the Earth when the earthquake occurred. The crystal is but one of many that lie hidden within the Earth. If all of them were ever to shatter, the only survivors would all be supers.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
So, it looks like undead will be a major part of your M&M campaign? Is that the overall theme?

There seems to be some major Deadlands influence to your Wild West Era.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I'm going to agree with Knightfall, your first chronicle sounds a lot like Deadland's Weird West, only most people know about it and many actually believe it. And the source is different.

From what you've posted, it seems that the supernatural in general, and magic and undeath in particular, are going to be major antagonistic forces in the campaign. Is that intentional?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm going to agree with Knightfall, your first chronicle sounds a lot like Deadland's Weird West, only most people know about it and many actually believe it. And the source is different.
Originally this was unintenional, but I kept rereading it and it sunk in. It was a subconscious goal, as it harkens to an idea I had when I received my M&M 1E book. I had wanted to use the concept to create a campaign with that flavor, and it stuck in my head. Anyhow, I like how it has played out and will leave it unmodified. It will also provide an opportunity to have fun with Time Travel.

From what you've posted, it seems that the supernatural in general, and magic and undeath in particular, are going to be major antagonistic forces in the campaign. Is that intentional?
Yes, but is only one of the antagonists; other threats emerging in later chronicles will be aliens, extradimensional beings, mutants and mythical beasts.

I fully intend to use Warriors & Warlocks with this campaign. I'd also like to convert Palladium's TMNT to M&M for use in this campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases