Just got "B2: The Keep on The Borderlands" and need help

Newbznsn

First Post
I just got the D&D basic Moldvay set with B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. The only problem is that i don't understand how to communicate with what's in the module to the players. For example, it starts by listing different parts of the keep. 1. Main Gate "description"... 2. Flanking Tower "descripition". how do i connect them together and make it flow into the story? Do I just tell the players that there is a Main gate with.... and an Entry Yard with... I also am not sure which map is to which location and how my players figure out where to go.

Thanks

Nick

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Oh, I remember when I first tried to run B2... yeah, it's tricky to run the Keep itself without preparation.

My advice to you is: Ignore the Keep at first. Tell the players that they've taken rooms at the Traveller's Inn, and on the advice of the locals, they've travelled to just outside the Caves of Chaos.

This will get them right into the fun part of the game - the exploration and combat! (Running the Keep can be very fun, but you need experience first).

The Caves have a number of entrances. Describe the two closest to the players (they enter from the open end of the canyon, so that will give them a cave to the left and a cave to the right - leading to goblins and kobolds, IIRC).

As they enter the cave, ask for a marching order - who is in front, who is behind. Describe the darkness of the caves, and the monsters and items they see. Be aware the party may need to flee. Have fun!

Let us know if you need further advice.

Cheers!

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Thanks for responding. Its the 4th print.

Thanks again

Nick

edit* oops sorry its the 5th print

Ok got the closest printing I could find, but a quick skim didn't really yield much change to the content and only seems to be the covers.

Will read over it and get back to you with anything new you might need that hasn't already been said.

Newbznsn

First Post
ok so what letter encounter should i start off with? im also kind of confused on how to read the map. should i just read the book straight through?

Thanks

Nick

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
ok so what letter encounter should i start off with? im also kind of confused on how to read the map. should i just read the book straight through?

The map should be on the cover. It shows a canyon with a number of caves and passages. The PCs will enter from the right-hand side.

You may wish to read the text on page 14 to your players, which begins "The forest you have been passing through has been getting more dense, tangled, and gloomier than before." and ends "You know that you have certainly discovered the Caves Of Chaos.".

After that, I'd say something like this:
Two caves are fairly close to you. One stands on the southern side of the bluff to your left. A little way ahead and to your right, you can see a cave overhung by a large, twisted tree.

That describes cave D (to the left) and cave A (to the right).

Running this, I will have read all of the early cave descriptions, especially cave A (1-6) and cave D (17-21) and cave E (22).

If the players choose to go left (D):
Inside the cave mouth, you see a 10 foot wide passageway running twenty feet before reaching a crossroads; the passages seem to have been carved out of the rock.

If the players choose to go right (A):
Roll a d6; if you roll a 1 or 2:
As you approach the cave and begin to peer inside, suddenly it's raining small, dog-headed humanoids from the tree above! Kobolds! They run forward brandishing long daggers and attack!

Proceed to your first combat.

Alternatively, if you roll a 3-6:
Inside the cave, the passageway runs twenty feet before reaching a T-junction. A small dog-headed humanoid - a kobold - peers nervously around the corner from the right-hand side before disappearing with a bark of dismay, and you can hear it running away calling an alarm!

Note that there's a guardpost of 6 kobolds just inside the cave-mouth at 1. The kobolds will not step on the pit-trap, although your players might as they chase the kobolds...

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Note, don't do any of this without reading the D&D Basic Rulebook first! You definitely need to read the sections "The Encounter" and "Combat" first!

Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Cheers!

Korgoth

First Post
I just got the D&D basic Moldvay set with B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. The only problem is that i don't understand how to communicate with what's in the module to the players. For example, it starts by listing different parts of the keep. 1. Main Gate "description"... 2. Flanking Tower "descripition". how do i connect them together and make it flow into the story? Do I just tell the players that there is a Main gate with.... and an Entry Yard with... I also am not sure which map is to which location and how my players figure out where to go.

Thanks

Nick

You don't have to treat the interior layout of the Keep the same way you treat the layout of the caves. I would say just tell the players what's there: a main gate, towers, etc. If they ask for specifics, then you can give those out. But if they don't care how big a particular tower is, or how many people are in the banker's family, etc. then you can just gloss over those details. The Keep is "town", basically. It only needs to be treated like a dungeon if they try to rob the place.

The map on the inside of the cover is for the Caves of Chaos. The map of the castle in the middle of the book is the Keep. The map of the wilderness is self-explanatory. The map of the Cave of the Unknown doesn't exist until you make it up, unless you want to locate Module B1: In Search of the Unknown at that spot, which is a pretty good idea if you ask me!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases