Genres For Retro-Clones Forked Thread: Designing a 2e Retro-Clone

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Forked from: Designing a 2e Retro-Clone

Remathilis said:
The big thing, as Psion pointed out, about 2e was its settings. Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Al-Qadim. These made 2e come alive. Obviously, I can't use them, but elements of them would be open (via OGL) so my idea would be simple; create options (called Realms) for people to play in different TSR type-type settings. The Realm of Darkness would give options for Ravenloft (madness, fear and horror), The Realm of Burning Sand would into Dark Sun elements (Half-giants and Psionics). The Realms of Existence give us planar options (aasimar and tieflings).

Keep coming with ideas. Even if I can't pick this project up, perhaps someone else might be inspired.

This discussion brings up an important factor with old school roleplaying, which is that for many, it wasn't the rules themselves that were important with previous editions of D&D, but the worlds you could create with them. The obvious examples are Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Al-Qadim, and Ravenloft, but as Mutant Future shows, there's a lot more that could be done with the core old school D&D rule set than just traditional fantasy. So with that, why not come up with a list of products we wouldn't mind seeing published under these rules.

1. Ancient Cthulhu: Back when the Cthulhu gods were used in the original Deities and Demigods, Cthulhu was still under copyright. This is no longer the case, it's now public domain, so why not design a setting that takes place either in a medievel or ancient setting where all magic is powered by the Cthulhu mythos? (hint: this might look a lot like Conan with the serial numbers filed off).

2. Space Opera: When I designed Reign of Discordia, what I had in mind was a game that used a streamlined set of rules (True20) that incorporated elements of Star Wars, Star Frontiers, and Star Blazers. A lot of people seem to be digging the setting, and we have more on the way, but if anyone is interested in converting the setting to old school rules, contact me and we'll see what we can come up with, whether it be licensing or publishing under RDP.

3. Pulp: I love the pulp era of fiction. That whole style of giant creatures, giant robots, tropical islands with dinosaurs, detective, and Indiana Jones style adventure is really a lot of fun. It's also very broad, covering everything from The Lost World, to King Kong, to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.... What we're talking about here is retro-scifi with retro sensibilities.

4. Modern: I mean why not have a game set in the modern day, complete with modern technology, modern firearms, terrorism, espionage, and gang warfare?

5. Conspiracy: Similar to modern above, except that it takes its influences from the X-Files, or Fringe. There's something large going on, it might involve strange experiemental technology, the supernatural, or aliens. Characters probably either work for the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security, or a privately funded organization that has to duck the law in order to keep secretly saving the world.

I think this could be a cool idea, but since we're talking about entire other genres, some new elements would need to be created, such as character classes within these genres, weapons, races, etc. One of the major differences between this project and something like D20 Future is that the character classes would probably have to be narrowly defined rather than being broad like they were in Modern. That effectively means a new build of the game for every distinct genre. Or, another option would be to do supplements for OSRIC or whatever game we happen to be talking about, that contained all of the changed rules.

Irda Ranger

First Post
That effectively means a new build of the game for every distinct genre.
Yup. The advantage of the Boxed Sets that were released was that you could use all of the PHB classes (except Dark Sun, which was essentially its own game). AD&D doesn't even have a central d20 mechanic, so if you rewrite all the classes and spells I don't think it's a "clone" anymore; just a game with certain similar features (classes, levels, etc.).

2. Space Opera:
What? Spelljammer isn't good enough for you? ;)

S'mon

Legend
1. Ancient Cthulhu: Back when the Cthulhu gods were used in the original Deities and Demigods, Cthulhu was still under copyright. This is no longer the case, it's now public domain.

Haven't researched this one specifically but I don't think the story The Call of Cthulu was in copyright in the '70s, I think it's more that now, thanks to the Internet, it's widely known to be Public Domain. Few of those old pulp tales of the '20s and '30s were ever copyright registered, as was legally necessary, so few were ever in copyright to begin with.

S'mon

Legend
My personal desire is for a far-future science fantasy setting with the feel of the 'Taarna' sequence in the Heavy Metal movie.

Melan

Explorer
1. Ancient Cthulhu: Back when the Cthulhu gods were used in the original Deities and Demigods, Cthulhu was still under copyright. This is no longer the case, it's now public domain, so why not design a setting that takes place either in a medievel or ancient setting where all magic is powered by the Cthulhu mythos? (hint: this might look a lot like Conan with the serial numbers filed off).
This product already exists as an alt OD&D supplement. Do read the disclamer and reviews before you buy, though, as it doesn't pull punches at all when it comes to depicting the horrid aspects of black magic.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases