Movie fight scenes - what level?

Thanks to the magic of YouTube, we can easily discuss how well D&D reflects movie fight scenes.

Let's start with a good, multi-character, probably high-paragon or low-epic encounter, from the Korean movie Shadowless Sword.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tL5xtKOP8&feature=related]YouTube - Best Fight Scene - Shadowless Sword (Korean Movie)[/ame]

What level power do you think the "cut your opponent in half with one hit" move should be?

Loonook

First Post
High-level combat? Not too much suggesting such really...

Let's see. We have cleave attacks, someone getting cut down with a single hit (an archer, no less), lots of movement around the field, some high-class jumping/flight... the most suggestive of high-level attacks would be the possible use of Fly, Manyshot, or multiple dagger throws.

Hell, if we're talking about PCs using Wands of Magic Missile in lieu of actual daggers or many arrows we could have something similar occur narratively at pretty low levels. Improvised use of a bolt of cloth as part of a grapple challenge? Multiple mooks being taken down at once?

In 3.X terms I'd say you're looking at lvl. 5-7. Depending on when some of those attacks are possible in 4e (I read it and didn't like it so decided not to memorize the minitua) could be higher or lower. Presence of Cleave, Power Attack, improvised weaponry, Improved Disarm, etc. would still be allowable... as long as someone is casting spells to let the jumping and flight take place.

As said before, most of the issues come down to narrative interpretation of rounds and effects of damage on a target vs. actual mechanics. Most of the action is very fast-paced but really, 6 seconds to swing a sword is getting a bit ridiculous ;).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Hey RangerWickett! :)

RangerWickett said:
Thanks to the magic of YouTube, we can easily discuss how well D&D reflects movie fight scenes.

Let's start with a good, multi-character, probably high-paragon or low-epic encounter, from the Korean movie Shadowless Sword.

An enjoyable enough action movie, though such modern movies rarely have the character (or the humour) of the early 80s HK stuff like Zu Warriors.

RangerWickett said:
What level power do you think the "cut your opponent in half with one hit" move should be?

Any move that exceeds an opponents full hit point total (from a single blow) should be able to cut them in half.

Hey Plane Sailing! :)

Plane Sailing said:
Just speaking personally, I'd be happy for D&D to never reflect that kind of fight scene!

Far to whacky and way-out for my personal tastes.

Cheers

Your tastes just ain't high level enough. :p

Remove ads