[Mage: the Awakening] Legacy of the Stone Assembly

Annalist

First Post
When you say high blood potency/high gnosis, you mean from the beginning right?
Yep. Let's say a BP/Gnosis of 7. And while I don't mind roleplaying beginner PCs, it'd just be fun to start off with all the shiny toys (i.e. kewl p0w4z) from the get-go. Of course that opens up the game to a lot of potential abuse, but to get a chance to experience portraying the high-end spectrum of the power scale would be a nice change of pace (for me at least).

Annalist

First Post
So how are everyone's preludes going? It appears that destiny is conspiring to gather our humble band of PCs together at Salem. *cue spooky music* :eek:

It looks as though we'll be meeting up at the Cormant house. Although I haven't been notified of a grace period or anything... Maybe I've just been a hidden mage for a while and my grace period is ending too. But more likely, we're being dragged to talk about an alliance with the consillium. Well, it looks like that may be where the adventure begins, or at least we (all?) meet.

Solarious

Explorer
A high (7+) Gnosis Mage game sounds interesting, but it usually takes even more setup and character consideration than a regular game, as well as experience with the setting/system in question. Power usually means you have a history behind you, underlings to order around, motivations and ambitions to carry out, and chances you're the head of a cabal, maybe even an order. Politics usually take you into consideration one way or another: even if you have established a hermitage or opt out of normal Consilium politics, you're still a powerful force, a source of power, knowledge, experience, and possibly a shot out of left field.

Many Storytellers house-rule that only Arcane Experience can be used to advance Gnosis, or only Arcane Experience can be used past a certain point of Gnosis. But as highly experienced mages, what can you discover that will get you Arcane Experience? Some mages turn to their Legacy, taking on apprentices and taking a stipend of Arcane Experience in exchange for power. Others build Demesnes, and experiment with the most Vulgar of magics, creating fantastic beasts or delving into the far past for strange, alien insights. A few try to use their resources to better the Fallen World, striking a blow against the tyranny of the Lie in the hope that it would reveal greater mysteries if the curtains of the Quiescence were parted ever so slightly. And for many, the Astral Realms are the answer, where they bargain with the Aeons for scraps of their purity and explore the soul of the universe seeking answers to inaudible questions. These methods are not necessarily mutually exclusive: frequently, powerful mages take on apprentices, and then use them as aides or adjuncts to another method of their choosing.

This is the stuff high Gnosis chronicles are made of.

Annalist

First Post
Just a fluff piece that I decided to type up.

[sblock=Interlude]Interlude

The ambiance at Haru was decidedly cozy. Soft music was piped throughout the dining area while small candles flickered merrily, shedding their light from behind panes of multi-colored glass. The overall effect was soothing, velvety, and romantic.

Linda looked across the intimate table that she shared with Mitchell and regarded him with her soft brown eyes. "I'm still mad at you," she teased, not really meaning it. Apparently, she was duly impressed by his choice of venue, but was reluctant to admit that he was already back in her good graces.

"And I'm still sorry about last night," he told her, as he reached across to hold her hands. "But I promise that this entire evening, you have all of my attention. No distractions and no interruptions. Just us. And sushi."

She giggled, her eyes twinkling with reflected candlelight. "Yes, and sushi," she agreed.

As Mitchell gave his girlfriend's palms a gentle squeeze, a looming shadow fell across their table. He glanced up, fully expecting to see their waitress delivering their order. But it wasn't her. So much for no distractions, he thought with an inward groan of resignation.

Linda quickly sensed his tension through his touch and turned too. Recognition immediately set in. And with a tone of pleasant surprise, she blurted, "Father Evans! How are you? Are you here for the sushi too? Isn't this place wonderful?"

"Hello, children," he smiled. His voice was the texture of poured Bourbon, smooth and mellow with age. "I'm sorry to disturb you two, but I happened to notice you across the room and wanted to come over to say hi. And it's so nice to see you again, Linda. Do you mind if I borrow Mitchell for just a minute? Don't worry, I promise to bring him back."

"Sure," she replied as she reluctantly let go of her boyfriend's hands.

Mitchell hesitated for a second then stood, casting a dubious glare at his mentor as if to say, I'm still in trouble for last night. This better not be something crazy.

Father Evans clapped him reassuringly on the back as he led him away, guiding him towards the restaurant's bamboo-lined entrance. They both felt a subtle glimmer of power as the older priest manipulated the sound around them so that their conversation wouldn't be overheard.

"So, Arathnos paid you a visit today?"

Mitchell couldn't hide the look of surprise from his face. "Wow, news travels fast. He came to deliver a dinner invitation from The Nemean."

"Beware the Hierarch," his teacher warned. "He will know that you are my student. There is no love lost between us. But he is also of our Order, so that might mitigate some of the preconceptions he'll have about you."

"Oh, great. Is there anything else important that I should know about?"

"Yes. Always remember that the salad fork is the little one on the outside," Father Evans joked.

The younger Obrimos rolled his eyes. "Thank you mighty mentor for that pearl of wisdom."

"You're welcome," he replied with a straight face. After a brief moment of silence, he added, "Just be yourself. You have a good heart and you will be a valuable addition to Awakened society. No matter what The Nemean may hold against me, he will still see that in you. Now go back to your beautiful girlfriend before she gets mad at the both of us."

Mitchell paused before parting ways. "Thank you, Melchior. For everything."

"You are like the son I never had. I'm proud of what you've accomplished in such a short period of time. Remember your lessons and seek me out when you are ready to tread the Scion's path."

The young mage watched as his beloved mentor exited the building and walked off into the night. With a heavy heart, he returned to Linda at their table. Their food had already arrived and was waiting.

She looked up at him with concern in her eyes, and asked, "Is everything okay?"

He smiled back at her, trying his best to appear reassuring. "Everything's fine. Let's eat."

And with that, the two of them spent the rest of their evening together enjoying a fine meal and each other's company, with all thoughts of mage-related stuff pushed to the side. For now at least.[/sblock]

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Just a fluff piece that I decided to type up.

I'm Hella_Tellah, and I approve this message. Awesome stuff, Annalist! Feel free to post that kind of thing here or in the in-character thread any time.

The new in-character thread is up! Unless I'm totally off my rocker, everybody should be at a point where they're ready to meet up at Cormant House. If you're showing up with magical protections, note them in an Out-of-Character quote at the top. As long as you have the dots, I'll assume you can keep trying until you succeed.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playin...hapter-i-cabal-quill-concord.html#post4551990

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases