[Mage: the Awakening] Legacy of the Stone Assembly

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I don't want to bog down the game waiting for one of the characters to answer, so if Hella wants to move the game forward (to inside) works for me. Walking Dad can always retcon his reply (ie. I said this before we went inside)

Unless someone posts additional actions or dialogue outside, I'll have everyone move inside in my next post. That will be a new scene, by the by, so consider which spells you'll be carrying with you.

Prometheus will have:
Conjunctional Mind 1/Prime 1 Improved Supernal Vision (That's what he's casting IC, so he won't dispel his current sight until he's done)(note to self: make rote)
Prime 2 Spell Shield? the one that protects from spells by spending mana. I'm pretty sure its spell shield.

Walking Dad

First Post
Sorry, got a serious kind of pneumonia (that thing that is like a really bad cold, hope this is the right word) and have no online access at home.

I will try to continue as best as I can. Should be regular, starting next Monday.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Sorry, got a serious kind of pneumonia (that thing that is like a really bad cold, hope this is the right word) and have no online access at home.

Feel better, WD!

Sorry for the delay from my end, too--We've been bogged down at work, shorthanded, (...blah blah blah excuses excuses :eek:)

Thondor said:
Hella hopefully I'm not overstepping myself here.

Nope, you're doing just what I hope you'll do. I like it when players drive the action.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Are you actually using the material from Boston Unveiled ? Or is it more just the stuff from the main book?

I'd like to be the Storyteller for a nMage game at some point and I'm wondering if there is any supplement that's really helpful . . . I just find grokkin mage a lot harder then Vampire (but then again I got to play a Vampire quite bit before I tried being a Storyteller).

anyway. Lots of fun so far. Keep it coming.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I'm using Boston Unveiled for setting, plot hooks, and NPCs, but I've put my own twist on some things of course. Glad to hear you're thinking of STing Mage! I recommend Tome of the Mysteries as the first supplemental book to pick up. It adds rules for alchemy, explains magic in greater detail, and really functions as a second core book. Sigil and Sanctum is a great one for understanding how mages work together as cabals, and STs can get a lot of mileage out of that one. By far the most inspiring book for a storyteller is a newer one, Keys to the Supernal Tarot. It's just full of plot hooks--one for each card in a standard tarot deck, in fact, so you can use an in-character tarot reading to generate story ideas.

Other books are profoundly valuable, too, but more dependent on the type of story you're telling and the inclinations of your players. There's a book for each order, and each of those makes for a great afternoon's reading if you enjoy the setting; if your players involve themselves in mage politics, you'll find them very valuable. Intruders: Encounters With the Abyss is about including Abyssal entities into your game, very dark and horror-oriented with about five pages dedicated to each entity. You'll want Secrets of the Ruined Temple if your group is looking for an "Indiana Jones" feel to the game. And the new Seers of the Throne book casts the one of the major enemies mages face in the game in a very intriguing and thoughtful way.

I would not recommend either of the Legacy books for an ST, though. There is some story potential in them, but they're mostly for players looking for options. If you've played D&D 3.5, I'd compare them to a book entirely of Prestige Classes: players salivate over them, but you'll probably only use one or two of the legacies in there. There's not a lot of bang for your buck.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Thanks for the info, I'll keep those in mind/maybe try to check out some reviews for some more details.
I'm usually not much of a supplement person but as I said, I feel I need to get some ideas, get a better feel for what a game of Mage is.

Quick anecdote: I went to a informal little convention in Ottawa a few weeks ago and a buddy got me some Vampire: The Requiem dice. Their 10 d10s in a little red bag with a black vampire skull. The successes (8,9,0) are silver while the other numbers are black. Really sweet.
Man they make me want to get in a face to face nWoD gaming!

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Good news, bad news

I'm sorry to report that I won't be able to keep updating Legacy of the Stone Assembly. I've enjoyed working on it, and have been very lucky to have such creative, character-focused writers as players. Bad news as that is, the reason I'm leaving is pretty good news--I'm devoting the time I would have spent on this and other RPG writing finishing off a collection of short stories I've been writing. So, fingers crossed, look for the name Jeff Moore to conquer the world of genre fiction!

If anyone here has an interest in continuing this game and taking over as ST, you absolutely have my blessing, and I can send along a framework for where I was taking the story if you don't already have your own ideas. If you have any criticisms or tips for me as a writer, please do send them along. I'm only as good as the mistakes I recognize and eliminate.

Thanks for playing, and please know that it's not for anything any player did or didn't do that I give this up now. It's going to take a great deal of discipline for me to buckle down and get serious about my writing, and I want to free up the time and brain-space to do that.

Shayuri

First Post
Congratulations!!

While disappointing on a selfish personal level, as someone who has tried to earn money writing in the past (if briefly), I can totally relate to what you're saying, and to your goal. :)

I will be sorry to see the game go though; the plot and narrative style were both excellent, and I was really getting into the mystery of it.

Good luck, and if you find yourself with time and inspiration do come back and play again! :)

Congratulations from me as well. I'll definitely read your stuff if I see it, especially considering the storytelling experience of this game so far.

Still, I have to admit that I too am sad to see you leave. This was probably my favorite game I've played in, due in no small part to you.

In the end, I wish you luck, and if you do get published, PM me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases