Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not really. I'd rather have the orignals, complete with their old "smell". And eBay provides them in abundance at super-cheap prices. I've gotten tons of old stuff that way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not that familliar with Lulu service. Could this be done while preserving the look and feel of the originals? Just having the original text of a 1E PHB in a bound softcover would not be the same.

No. Lulu's productions won't feel anything like 1970s hardcovers. Totally different materials used. The pages would be very shiny and white for a start.

In additon, using Lulu to do that yourself with a PDF you bought isn't legal (not that I'm sayng you suggested that) - you have to own the copyright to use Lulu. It's a publishing service, not a printing service, even if you're the sole customer.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No. I would rather they invest resources into developing new material, rather than republishing things I already have.
Well, I can't speak for everyone obviously, but ...

I will not buy any more 4E material. But I would buy the commemorative editions for BECMI, 3.x, Ravenloft, and Dark Sun. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd like to see the OD&D stuff, including Chainmail and the expansion materials, all in one book. I do not think it would be that expensive to do, and I think there is enough of a market to justify it. It's basically just a collectible.

Though I wouldn't mind editing on a most basic level, like spelling and punctuation and minor formatting and a better index.

RFisher

Explorer
Exactly. They can't just go and reprint it all again. They lay out books completely different now days, I imagine. They'd have to completely redo all of it. That would cost a ton of cash. A ton of cash they probably wouldn't see come back to them.

Yeah. I mean, you might as well suggest that they license a company to print tiny miniature reprints of all the AD&D books and some of the boxed sets...

Oh, wait. That actually happened, didn’t it?

(^_^)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yeah. I mean, you might as well suggest that they license a company to print tiny miniature reprints of all the AD&D books and some of the boxed sets...

Oh, wait. That actually happened, didn’t it?

It did actually happen. I do not think that it made anybody money. As many old school and new school fans alike here have noted on numerous occassions in the past, those little books were. . . err. . . crap.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Absolutely not. It would be a lot of work for little or no return. I do not think they would sell in the thousands, much less the tens of thousands they need to sell to make a decent amount of money, or even regain the investment.

grodog

Hero
Ooops, I voted no, meant yes, since it might help to drive interest in the games further. Are such republications strictly necessary?---no, but again, they may help to drive interest in the original editions.

re: printing costs for such editions, Hasbro could go POD just as easily as an small publisher can, so there's no need to invest in hundreds of thousands of dollars in inventory to make a few bucks off of the original IP....

Remove ads