4e Ravenloft one night adventure

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
One of my gaming groups is getting back together again after about a year without playing. I'm going to be running them through a single day 4e version of Ravenloft. We had played the 3.5 version up to the castle itself, with a few encounters in the castle before our year break.

So my reason for writing is thus:

What three to four encounters best captures the feel of Ravenloft? How would you outline a good Ravenloft single night 4e adventure? When you played Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, what three or four encounters are most memorable to you?

This is my idea so far:

Encounter 1: Courtyard. The party enters the inner courtyard of Ravenloft and fights the following:

2x Battle Wights (800)
2x Flameskulls (350)
4x Vampire Spawn Bloodhunters (500)

Encounter 2: Skill Challenge: Navigating the Castle.

The party has to use skills and wits to get through the horrors of the castle.

Encounter 3: The Coven. The Three Hags, resurrected from their slayings in the swamps of Barovia, summon a horrible demon in the depths of the castle.

2x Bog Hags 1000
Howling Hag 300
Mezzodemon 350

Encounter 4: Strahd's Tomb. Skill Challenge. The party must defile the sarcophagus of Strahd before facing him. If they fail, Strahd is more powerful.

Encounter 5: Strahd's Sanctum

High in the towers above Castle Ravenloft, Strahd faces the party himself.

Count Strahd Von Zarovich
Level 11 Solo Vampire Lord
Init: +7; Speed 8
570 hitpoints / 285
AC 27 Fort 26 Reflex 25 Will 30
+5 saving throw
2 Action Points

M: Strahd's Chilling Caress: +16 vs AC; 1d8+5 cold and target is weakened; save ends.

Vermin Form: Move action, recharge 5,6; shift 8 through opponents and do 3d8+5 damage.

Dominating Gaze: Minor; +15 vs Will; target creature is dominated; save ends; aftereffect; target is dazed

Strahd's Violet Blast: Standard; +15 vs Reflex; 3d6+5 damage

Frightful Presence: Standard; Burst 5; +15 vs Will; Target is stunned until the end of Strahd's next turn. Once per encounter.

Blood Drain: Standard; Requires Combat Advantage; Recharges when adjacent enemy becomes bloodied; +15 vs Fort; 4d10+5 damage and target is weakened and Strahd gains 50 hit points.

Howl of the Night: Standard; Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. Once per encounter.

Bloodied Howl: Immediate when bloodied. Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares.

Blackstorm: Standard, range 10, +15 vs Fortitude; 4d10+5 necrotic and target slides 6 squares. Once per encounter.

Lance of Black Ice: Standard; range 10; +15 vs Reflex; 4d10+5 cold damage and target is immobilized; save ends; once per encounter.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Ahh

Good point.

The party consists of five level 8 characters including a wizard, paladin, warlock, fighter, and cleric

Jack99

Adventurer
Dominating Gaze: Minor; +15 vs Will; target creature is dominated; save ends; aftereffect; target is dazed
This is a very powerful ability. Just remember save ends on the dazed effect.

Strahd's Violet Blast: Standard; +15 vs Reflex; 3d6+5 damage
Remember a range and an area?

Howl of the Night: Standard; Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. Once per encounter.

Bloodied Howl: Immediate when bloodied. Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares.
Easier to write the two as Howl of the Night: Standard, encounter, recharges when bloodied; Close blast 5, +5 vs fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. However, most screams and deal psychic damage afaik, you might want to consider changing it.

Blackstorm: Standard, range 10, +15 vs Fortitude; 4d10+5 necrotic and target slides 6 squares. Once per encounter.

Lance of Black Ice: Standard; range 10; +15 vs Reflex; 4d10+5 cold damage and target is immobilized; save ends; once per encounter.

Looks like nice abilities, but what are they based on? I have no bells ringing when I see those.

Also, you might want to consider some necrotic resistance as well as some radiant vulnerability.

One last thing:
Blood Drain: Standard; Requires Combat Advantage; Recharges when adjacent enemy becomes bloodied; +15 vs Fort; 4d10+5 damage and target is weakened and Strahd gains 50 hit points.
I think they normally drain 1/4 of the hit points (vampire lords)

Regarding your original question, I think your plan looks good, and has a good chance of capturing the original feel. I must admit that it's been so long since I played/owned it, that it's kinda hazy.

Cheers

Remove ads