Module Recommendations

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Oh, its not about the deadly. They are all deadly.

Some people love it. Some people find that it really starts to drag, and can end in a way that leaves the PCs on the sidelines.

Ah, gotcha. What adventure would you suggest instead for that level range?

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
If you can find it, I think "Night's Dark Terror" (B10) is one of the best, albeit least known, modules out there. I've had some great times with it (though to be honest, I've never finished it). It would be appropriate for a post-KotB group, level-wise. It'd be a matter of baiting a hook and seeing if the PC's bite.

For some urban goodness, "The Veiled Society" is hard to beat. What I like best about it is that it's really easy to adjust for the PC's level; if you don't want the few humanoids present in the module, they're easy to switch out for NPCs of an appropriate level.

Leif

Adventurer
Well, if you lived in Charlotte, NC, you could play in my campaign. Right now I have my wife and her sister. I'm desperate for players...
Chainsaw,
Not to belabor a point, but you ARE at ENWorld! Plenty of desperate folk like myself get our D&D fix in the online play-by-post games here. I would certainly be interested in joining your merry band, if you'd have me!

I've found that the slowness and frustration of PBP is best overcome by joining as many simultaneous games as humanly possible!

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Chainsaw,
Not to belabor a point, but you ARE at ENWorld! Plenty of desperate folk like myself get our D&D fix in the online pay-by-post games here. I would certainly be interested in joining your merry band, if you'd have me!

I've found that the slowness and frustration of PBP is best overcome by joining as many simultaneous games as humanly possible!

Heh, point taken! Let me get my ducks in a row and I'll come backatcha' in a couple weeks. Maybe we can work something out. By the way, presumably you mean PLAY-by-post???

Leif

Adventurer
Heh, point taken! Let me get my ducks in a row and I'll come backatcha' in a couple weeks. Maybe we can work something out. By the way, presumably you mean PLAY-by-post???
Yeah, ya got me! I was having connection issues at that moment, so I feel fortunate that my reply is even posted! Anyway, no rush, man, properly align your waterfowl to your heart's content! :D (That's the great thing about PBP -- it's a great patience builder!) One observation for you is that you'll be lucky to even finish ONE of those modules in your first year of play. The series you have mentioned in this thread could easily become a ten-year undertaking. So you might want to pick out your favorite module to start, or else work out some system where you can quickly go through each module just hitting the high points, or something.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Personally I wouldn't suggest touching Tomb of Horrors with a bargepole - it was the worst kind of arbitrary deathtrap dungeon, and could easily ruin the end of a campaign. I know it appeals to some people, but I just don't see the appeal.

Some of the best modules that I've owned run are in the I series

• I3 Pharaoh levels 5–7
  • I4 Oasis of the White Palm levels 6–8
  • I5 Lost Tomb of Martek levels 7–9

and in the UK series

• UK2 The Sentinel levels 2–5
    Adlerweg Part 1, set in Greyhawk
  • UK3 The Gauntlet levels 3–6
    Adlerweg Part 2, set in Greyhawk
  • UK4 When a Star Falls levels 3–5
  • UK7 Dark Clouds Gather levels 7–9

Cheers

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
One observation for you is that you'll be lucky to even finish ONE of those modules in your first year of play. The series you have mentioned in this thread could easily become a ten-year undertaking. So you might want to pick out your favorite module to start, or else work out some system where you can quickly go through each module just hitting the high points, or something.

True, true. I suppose that's a good thing, eh? It's easy to get so excited that you forget the enjoyment's in the journey - not the destination. Such a cliche, but so true.

Chris Knapp

First Post
If you want another epic campaign, try the original Dragonlance series. Its not to everyone's taste (kender, aligned wizards, a bit railroady) but it is an absolute blast to play through. Unfortunately, its another series that many start but never finish.

The best versions for 1E are the originals (all available as PDF.) The 2E "Classics" editions are so poorly edited and missing info as to be often useless, and the silver anniversary edition is a mishmash of 2E and Saga rules. The updated 3E versions are awesome but too hard to convert back to 1E/2E imho.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
If you want another epic campaign, try the original Dragonlance series. Its not to everyone's taste (kender, aligned wizards, a bit railroady) but it is an absolute blast to play through. Unfortunately, its another series that many start but never finish.

The best versions for 1E are the originals (all available as PDF.) The 2E "Classics" editions are so poorly edited and missing info as to be often useless, and the silver anniversary edition is a mishmash of 2E and Saga rules. The updated 3E versions are awesome but too hard to convert back to 1E/2E imho.

Good call. First D&D series I ever read was Legends.. then Chronicles and the rest, moving into Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun and others.

Leif

Adventurer
Personally I wouldn't suggest touching Tomb of Horrors with a bargepole - it was the worst kind of arbitrary deathtrap dungeon, and could easily ruin the end of a campaign. I know it appeals to some people, but I just don't see the appeal.
You definitely have a point. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the idea of going through a dungeon written by the original founder of D&D. Or maybe it's the prospect of trying to OUTWIT the original founder of D&D by actually surviving the dungeon! Or maybe it's all the cool traps and the thousands of cool ways to have your character die?

I'm currently playing in Scotley's 3.5 ToH, and we've almost made it inside the dungeon and we've ONLY had to have two characters resurrected already! hehehe

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases