Module Recommendations

Serendipity

Explorer
You could do themes:

Isle of Dread
Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
(and theoretically you could stick Isle of the Ape on the end of there)

alternately

Tomb of Ra Accursed By Set (a really old Judges Guild adventure)
Pharoah
Oasis of the White Palm
Lost Tomb of Martek

(here I could suggest Day of Al'Akbar but I won't as that adventure was kind of an abomination of bad)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
The "I" series pharoah modules were great because of great encounters, a splendid them running through them, some wonderful plot/story "gotcha's" and excellent desert/egyptian atmosphere.

Agreed. I completely forgot those modules earlier in this thread. I can't recall how many times we played through Pharoah. That was definitely our fave of the three. I'd definitely add these to the list o' recommended addys.

grodog

Hero
I had a Holmes Basic Set and some original 1E adventures as well - In Search of the Unknown (B1), Against the Giants (G1-3), D1-3 (Descent, Kuo-Toa and Vault of Drow), Tomb of Horrors (S1) and Village of Hommlet (T1). [snip]

Finally, my question - what modules should I run through? I can buy Keep on the Borderlands and do that one first. That seems without question based on what I read on these boards.

Based on what you have, I'd run something like this:

1. T1/B1/B2 in combination: use Hommlet as the nearest settlement, B2 as their initial base, and B1 as the Caves of Chaos or as another outpost of Elemental Evil, perhaps; use the plot from T1 to bind the modules together

2. Then you'll be stuck for mid-level modules, so you'll want to create some homebrew adventures based on the follow-ups from the T1 plots; or, see below

3. eventually you'll be able to segue into the G/D moduldes, and then perhaps conclude with S1

If you're looking for recommendations for what to do at #2 instead of making up your own stuff, then I'd go with something like this (multiple modules are grouped generally, not in order within a step):

1. T1/B1/B2
2. N1 (ditch the NPC MU by this point, since your players won't need him)
3. L1/U1/A1/U3/A4
4. S2/WG4/S4
5. G1-3/D1-3
6. S1

For more info on modules in general, see AD&D Mod Chrt and D&D Mod Chrt along with TSR Dungeons & Dragons Archive: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (and other pages on the latter site, if you want more info/detail on other modules/settings to consider picking up).

S'mon

Legend
Re levels, I think that PC mortality and the GM's judgement about what levels new PCs start at is potentially a very useful device to prevent over or under-powered PCs. In my current 3e/Red Box mash up campaign running B-series modules, the PCs are getting a lot of XP, but because new PCs have been starting at 1st level so far the actual rate of advancement overall has been moderate; after 7 sessions most of the PCs are 2nd, 2 just made 3rd, and the one whose player attended every game and never died is 3rd but close to 4th. In 3e you don't want to let the level spread get too great, but in 1e that's less of a concern; 6th and 10th level PCs can usually adventure together.

S'mon

Legend
(spoiler for N1)

1. T1/B1/B2
2. N1 (ditch the NPC MU by this point, since your players won't need him)

Hmm - T1/B1/B2 should get PCs to around 4th level, right? Maybe 3rd for M-U? If they're going to do N1 they're still gonna have trouble with a 7d6 fireball! :p Maybe a scroll with Minor Globe of Invulnerability would suffice, though.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
You could do themes:

Isle of Dread

alternately

Pharoah
Oasis of the White Palm
Lost Tomb of Martek

(here I could suggest Day of Al'Akbar but I won't as that adventure was kind of an abomination of bad)

I like it! The theme of the second set is obvious, but the first set - is that a jungle/island theme?

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Based on what you have, I'd run something like this:

1. T1/B1/B2 in combination: use Hommlet as the nearest settlement, B2 as their initial base, and B1 as the Caves of Chaos or as another outpost of Elemental Evil, perhaps; use the plot from T1 to bind the modules together

Great advice, grodog. I may just do this - at the very least it creates continuity that prevents me from some awkward transition.. "Yes, so, ah, conveniently, there's another town nearby that, ah, somehow, you didn't know about before that ALSO needs your help."

Thanks for the links too.

Leif

Adventurer
You could do themes:

Isle of Dread

alternately

Pharoah
Oasis of the White Palm
Lost Tomb of Martek

Not to pick nits, but it's TEMPLE of Ra Accursed by Set.

Last edited:

Serendipity

Explorer
Not to pick nits, but its TEMPLE of Ra Accursed by Set.

Right you are and pick away - this should teach me to post at four thirty am. In any case I do believe I saw a copy of it online somewhere (drive thru rpg most likely) for teh cheap.

Adding to my original point:
Depending on where you wanted to go with it, you could factor the Desert Nomads series (Master of the Desert Nomads and Temple of Death) and/or the Lost City into this as well (Though the Lost City is concievably a campaign in itself.)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
B1 In Search of the Unknown is a great starter module and a classic. I think every game needs one of these "how to" modules to teach new DMs how to design and run modules, especially dungeon modules. I would run it, if nothing else, to teach yourself about how the modules you're prepping are designed. Plus, so much of what you will need will be homebrew that the experience is worth the extra effort.

As a cautionary measure you might want to avoid Gary's earliest adventure modules like S1. He had this odd propensity to publish the highest level adventure at the same time he published a new RPG. Whether it be S1 for D&D or Necropolis for Dangerous Journeys. Great stuff certainly, but way, way out of most anyone's league when they first start the game. B1 & B2 are far better starters. Plus a lot of what has already been mentioned here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases