D&D 3E/3.5 3E Vampires v. 4E Vampires: Please Inform Me As To Differences Between The Two

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I don't have the 4E Monster Manual yet. I was wondering if someone that does and is familiar with the 3E vampire could explain the differences to me.

I'm curious to know 'cause I'm considering creating a vampiric inspired base class.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I don't have the 4E Monster Manual yet. I was wondering if someone that does and is familiar with the 3E vampire could explain the differences to me.

I'm curious to know 'cause I'm considering creating a vampiric inspired base class.

Do you mean Vampire Template? That is in the DMG (page 181) not the Monster Manual.

If you want to compare Templates sure.

4E:
Necrotic Resistance (based on level)
Regen 10 (stops for 1 round if hit by radiant damage)
Vulnerable: Radiance 10.
Action point: 1
Saves +2.
Defenses all go up by 2 (AC, etc)
Gain Darkvision.
Gain 3 powers:
1) Blood Drain
2) Mist Form
3) Dominating Gaze (minor action)
Are Elite so double hps.

3E:
NA +6, Con goes to 0 (meaning lose all Con bonus), but HD go to 1d12 (meaning 1 or 2 points hp go up; usually less than Con bonus).
Gain Slam attack (if hit by it gain 2 Negative levels)
Fast Heal 5 (as long as above 0).
Resist Cold/Elec 10. Spiderclimb.
DR 10/Silver +magic.
Ability: Str +6, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4.
Powers:
1) Blood Drain
2) Children of the Night
3) Dominate
4) Alternate Form
5) Gaseous Form

WalterKovacs

First Post
Yeah, the template. Many thanks. Curious; whats the diff between the MM and the DMG entry?

Basically the template allows you to take an existing monster, add the template and the character becomes a vampire [as well as an elite monster]. The normal vampires are just straight out of the box monsters.

If you wanted to make a base class/race based on the templates, a few things are important to keep in mind. (a) The +2 to defences and saves, doubling of hit points, and action point are all elements of being an elite monster. (b) Adding a class to a monster is also a way of making them elite, so you may be able to reverse engineer it in a similar way.

The regen/radiant vulnerability is a bit harder though ... part of the balance is that it's a monster power and the PCs have greater access to radiant attacks to use against undead. If a PC has the regen balanced by the radiant vulnerability, it is important to have at least a few monsters equipped with radiant damage. Necrotic resistance is also a bit more powerful against monsters than for a monster.

But, basically, the template is likely a good start.

Danceofmasks

First Post
If you're thinking 3e vampire monks, they could only level drain once per round ...
But ... nothing was as busted as a minotaur vampire draining yer levels with a gore ... from an AoO ... then beheading you with an oversized greataxe.

Gort

Explorer
If you're thinking 3e vampire monks, they could only level drain once per round ...
But ... nothing was as busted as a minotaur vampire draining yer levels with a gore ... from an AoO ... then beheading you with an oversized greataxe.

Well, I meant any vampire just using his slam attack. Two negative levels a hit is still pretty bad (if I remember rightly). Especially since it drains your best spells first.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
In 4e, Vampire Lords gain the following (compared to their 3e counterparts):

1) They don't explode in sunlight. It just suppresses their regeneration.
2) They can cross running water, be submerged in it, and have no problem with garlic or holy symbols (although they can still be turned normally).

They lose the following:

1) They can't summon bats, wolves, rats, or stuff like that.
2) They can't transform into them, either.
3) They don't get a level-draining slam attack.
4) They don't get massive ability score boosts or DR/silver.

-- 77IM

Remove ads