critique this eldritch disciple build, please.

Animal

First Post
normally i wouldn't lose cleric levels when i'm a primary healer, but this time we had 2 clerics in a party so i decided to try something new for a change. so far it's 10th lvl. cleric 4/warlock 1/ED 5.
stats:
Str 14
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 14
domains - protection and travel (fharlanghn). feats: Battle Caster[CAr], Travel Devotion[CC], Practised Spellcaster[CAr], Touch of Healing[CM], Protection Devotion[CC]. invocations known: lesser: fell flight[CA]; least: eldritch glaive[DM], entropic warding[CA], see the unseen[CA].
Memorized spells:
0- create water, detect magic, light x2, mending, purify food and drink
1- divine favor, conviction, shield of faith x2, protection from evil +sanctuary
2- hold person, silence, conduit of life, close wounds +shield other
3- magic vestment, dispel magic x2, mass resist energy +protection from energy
4- divine power x2, panacea +dimension door
important equipment: mithral full plate, amulet of natural armour, belt of battle, pearls of power (2,3), nightstick.

anything i could've done better there? better feats, invocations, gear? also, we might face a dragon next session (dunno which type), know any neat anti-dragon spells?
thanks.

Animal

First Post
hmm.. good catch. we both missed that. but it's not really an issue for i can worship, say, Dalt who is CG and also has these domains. of course it'd mean a flavour shift, but oh well...
anything else? some advise would be appreciated too. ;)

Shin Okada

Explorer
If you are to fight against a dragon, it's SR could be a problem when you trying to attack it with your Eldritch Blast. I suggest you to memorize at least one Assay Spell Resistance (SC) as a 4th-level cleric spell.

Depend on situation, you may not have time to cast Divine Power or other short-time buff spells. But as Dragons have relatively low touch AC, you likely to hit it often without those buffs (Unless the dragon is using Scintillating Scales spell)..

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If you are to fight against a dragon, it's SR could be a problem when you trying to attack it with your Eldritch Blast. I suggest you to memorize at least one Assay Spell Resistance (SC) as a 4th-level cleric spell.

An alternative suggestion: You're a warlock. Flaunt that Use Magic Device skill! There's a level 1 spell in Complete Mage called True Casting. Works like True Strike, except it gives you +10 on effective CL to bypass SR on the next spell you cast. Just as with True Strike, no need for a higher CL, so just get a wand of it and have 50 charges for 750 gp.

You should probably still prepare Assay Spell Resistance for hammering a boss type repeatedly with EB, but use the wand when you only need one spell to go through.

Shin Okada

Explorer
The problem is, True Casting only works for spells and not for invocations. And it does need a standard action to cast. On the other hand, Assay Spell Resistance simply says "to overcome the spell resistance of a specific creature." So it helps to use EB. Also, it is a swift action spell.

True Casting is more useful when a spell caster uses an area effect spell against multiple opponents with SR (say, blasting a bunch of demons with Cacophonic Burst spell).

Remove ads