Character Builder Beta available

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Just downloaded it, and was able to put together two third level characters in about 20 minutes.

This thing is wonderful. And it's only going to get better.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Awww! Isn't it sweet!

.Net just told me it's downloaded and I can disconnect from the internet!

Awww...

(Seriously? *is* there still dial up?)
I don't know about dial up, but when I'm not home I use a UMTS connection for which I have limited connection time per month.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Downloaded it, and installed it but when I try to run it I get this error:

"Could not load type 'System.Windows.SplashScreen' from assembly 'WindowsBase, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral"
I get the same message. I've installed the .NET framework and the SP1. I'm running XP.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Okay well I managed to get the thing installed onto an XP platform this-morning.

I have to say: wow. Quite simply an excellent application. I'm actually a little stunned, because it carries a whole lot of promise for the quality of the other upcoming DDI tools. Assembling a character is a piece of cake, and the flexibility of the print output is just amazing.

Wizards: you have exceeded all expectations, as I think a lot of us hoped you would. Well done!!

La Bete

First Post
Cross-posted from email to Tallarn (my GM)

I'm creating my character Right Now IYKWIMAITYD. [/hong]

This is a lot better than I was expecting. bravo wizards, thats my DDi sub paid for itself right then and there.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I think it is a great program, with some annoying flaws.

Install is not butter smooth. (.Net install hangs, program crashes until install from MS) It's a beta so I let that slide.

I would love more output options. (PDF/Text statblock) Printing is OMGAWESOMEBBQSAUCEROFMILKANDCOOKIESDISABLED!

I do not like the lack of obvious keyboard shortcuts.
I detest the multiple clicks needed for some things.

Race Tab. Click Dwarf. CLICK CHOOSE DWARF. Click Next.
Race Tab. Click Dragonborn. CLICK CHOOSE Dragonborn. Click Strength-based Breath. CLICK CHOOSE STRENGTH-BASED BREATH. Click Fire Breath. CLICK CHOOSE FIRE BREATH. Click Next.

The underlined clicks are really useless. The system doesn't need to confirm this until I hit next. It's the first screen, so it got me hyper-aware of the love of clicks this tool has.

I think it is a great program, with some annoying flaws.

Install is not butter smooth. (.Net install hangs, program crashes until install from MS) It's a beta so I let that slide.
Well, I wouldn't let it slide - final deployment of applications is something that often "forgotten" until people figure out it's not as simple as the used to think. So they should look into this a little closer. Of course, this is an error a Beta can "survive". ;)

I would love more output options. (PDF/Text statblock) Printing is OMGAWESOMEBBQSAUCEROFMILKANDCOOKIESDISABLED!

I do not like the lack of obvious keyboard shortcuts.
I detest the multiple clicks needed for some things.

Race Tab. Click Dwarf. CLICK CHOOSE DWARF. Click Next.
Race Tab. Click Dragonborn. CLICK CHOOSE Dragonborn. Click Strength-based Breath. CLICK CHOOSE STRENGTH-BASED BREATH. Click Fire Breath. CLICK CHOOSE FIRE BREATH. Click Next.

The underlined clicks are really useless. The system doesn't need to confirm this until I hit next. It's the first screen, so it got me hyper-aware of the love of clicks this tool has.

The confirmation clicks seem unnecessary. The response to the initial click seems "strong" enough to not require an additional click or a double click.

Jack99

Adventurer
Vista 64 here, and it just ain't working. Install works, but when I click the shortcut on the desktop, I get an error message. I have the Net 3.5 Sp1 installed.

Something along this. The message comes in danish, and I am far from computer savvy, so...

The file or assembly "D20RulesEngine, Version=0.0.0.0. Culture=neutral. PublicKeyToken=null" or one of it's dependencies could not be read (or run). A program of the wrong format was unsuccesfully run (or read).

Remove ads