Character Builder Beta available

catsclaw227

First Post
I think there might be an issue with 64bit Vista OS. I am running that, with .NET 3.5 SP1 framework (and with Visual Studio 2008 installed).

It's possible that they didn't do an x64 build and there might be some bugs with the pathing of some of the framework libraries that are referenced by the app.

BTW - being a .NET developer myself - can't wait to see their UI implementations...

I asked the designers over on the WotC forums whether or not they were going to update the Beta with new Dragon issues and Martial Power. They said yes.

That being said, what I am finding most frustrating right now is the lack of the Barbarian class in the creator, thanks to it only being up to Dragon 367(Barbarian is in 368). I'm definitely happy to hear that it will be coming soon.

catsclaw227

First Post
One other thing. With Vista 64 (and possibly XP 64) the Framework creates two different folders:

%SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\
%SYSTEMROOT%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\

Both with differnet sets of framework libraries (i.e. folders for 2.0, 3.0, 3.5).

WalterKovacs

First Post
i have that folder and im running vista the version that allows 4 gigs of ram so i think its 64

I'm in the same boat ... Vista 64, I do have the 3.5 installed, and getting the same error message.

It does instally into the X86 folder, not the other Program Files area.

----

Character Builder Unexpected Error

System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Font.GetHeight()
at System.Drawing.Font.get_Height()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_FontHeight()at [weird symbol].[weird symbol]..ctor(, )
at ..-> ()
at [up arrow]..[different weird symbol](Exception, Boolean )

Last edited:

2WS-Steve

First Post
Install on my WinXP desktop -- .net never finished installing, so I hit cancel and closed the program, then a few minutes later a screen pops up saying that I need to restart to finish installation of the Character Builder. Did that and now it works fine.

Install on my Vista laptop at coffee shop -- again, .net never finished installing (bar filled but wouldn't close out), so I hit cancel again and eventually a screen pops up to restart -- do that but no desktop icon after restart. Seems program didn't finish installing.

On the machine where it works, it seems to work pretty nicely. A "wizard" style build where you go through sections -- nice to have description text for everything and it's pretty clearly formatted.

EDIT -- the Vista machine is using Vista64

It wasn't that hard for me to get it running. It failed when I first downloaded it, but then I downloaded .NET 3.5 SP direct from microsoft. It worked fine after that. I am using XP...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Could be my imagination... but for some reason I remember this being the case? That they planned to make it able to populate other sheets or soemthing through XML? Again I could be just imagining things though.

It's true. It's readable XML.

Cheers!

Riley

Legend
The program is great! I'm quite used to being disappointed by WOTC's digital offerings, but this is really easy to use, and I really like the easy ability to rearrange the character sheet layout.

Someone remind me... Have they (recently) offered any ETA on when the full version will be up and running? I love what I'm seeing so far; I want full functionality soon! :D

Remove ads